Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I looked for headlights for the 90, I struck out. Until today. Came across these by accident. Not cheap, but I'm tired of driving with the old yellowed headlights. I haven't bought them yet. Anybody have any cheaper sources?

New lights with trim from Auto And Art
. $204.43 per pair.

New lights, no trim.
$192.73 per pair.

My old headlights.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
He was merely pointing out that his headlights were very effective at repelling
various insects at night. Mine are starting to age a bit now also but i do love the great big headlights the bricknoses were equipped with.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
whatever, you should use the "bright white" bulbs. I don't like humor nor do I employ it in my daily life /FSB Bronco life/

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,628 Posts
because you suck at it 351:goodfinge

KaBong: Not a bad price for two, compared to LMC for each one... w/chrome trim: $129.95 & w/out trim: $119.95

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nothing beats the view through clean, non-yellow lenses! I would recommend if you buy them, though, to keep some sort of protection over them like a wax or protective coating to at least slow the oxidation process.. Those brick nose trucks aren't the most aerodynamic, so the headlights face a lot of wind and dust particles in the air!

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
When I was down in Mexico the guy I was riding with used some new product that removes the oxidation from the headlight lenses. It seamed to work well I have used Plastx from Maguire's on my cars head lights for a while now you have to reapply it every few months but it seams to okay.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Hi, I dont know if it available in US but I get a pair of Volvo FH12 truck headlights with glass lenses. They are great!

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Rockauto has a pretty good selection ....plus a 5% off coupon code is always available

·
Super Moderator
4,912 Posts
Some good plaque removing toothpaste (the stuff with the grit) and a good brush is surprisingly good at clearing up clouded lenses.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I have those exact headlights. (Auto art) I'm happy. The headlight restore kits are a waste. I used two different brands and regular toothpaste. They all work for awhile. But after a couple months, their cloudy.

I think the best bet would be the ones Remco is talking about. I'd have to research that abit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wet sand with 800 grit paper then buff with some compound. We do it at work (auto body shop) for the older cars that come through. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
796 Posts
El Kabong...that's about what I paid from Rock Auto. Check with TCM GLX (a vendor here) he might be working on some clear headlamps for the bricknose.

here's the original remco post:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273553&page=2

Hi, lights are from EU version volvo (that is what I need the E code on the lenses:) - something up to 1998 model...

One company make clear replacement but they dont answered on my emails:(

http://boremanltd.com/volvo_lamps.php

How I fabricated lights:

And on the car:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a 93 tempo its lenses are so yellow I drive around with my brights on all the time and it's still to dim.I tried some of the headlight restoration stuff it helped some,but not a lot.I still really need new lenses.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info.

I also have tried some of the resto methods. It just doesn't seem to last. I like the thought of those Volvo glass units.

And I miss the old days when there were 3 sizes of headlights that fit everything made for the last 40 years, & all of those were glass. If you got a chip replacing the lamp took care of it. Going backwards to replaceable bulbs behind permanent lenses is one improvement that isn't.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wet sanded the Bronco's headlights not because they were yellowing... but they were oxidizing. Headlights are about $45/each for this truck, so I bought a headlight restore kit from 3m (GET THE ONE IN THE RED BOX, it comes with rubbing compound), and used it with my lights. Worked out just fine and they are nice and clear when completely dry. I will probably clear coat them in the near future.

They also work well for taillights.

Sandpaper and polishing pad refills can be easily found on amazon. As long as it's 3" diameter you're golden. The cost of the kit, refills of every grit, polishing pads, and an hour of labor ($45/hr at a cheap shop) is the same cost as just one of those headlights.

Tip: When sanding, dry sand it first. Then switch to wetsanding to wash away the waste material and also so you can see if there are any melted-in swirl marks in the plastic so you can get rid of them. Wipe down and dry between every stage.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
:stupid
I've used several brands of headlight restoration products both on my own vehicles, and professionally. I've also seen several more being used. IME, none of them are worth the time, effort, or cost. Plastic lenses that have begun to fog or turn yellow will never become clear again. Just replace them.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
And I miss the old days when there were 3 sizes of headlights that fit everything made for the last 40 years, & all of those were glass. If you got a chip replacing the lamp took care of it. Going backwards to replaceable bulbs behind permanent lenses is one improvement that isn't.
:stupid

1 - 20 of 21 Posts