Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I did a search for "brighter guages" but came up with 0 results.

So we bought a 86 302 xlt bronco. The guages are that green color and are very hard to see at night. Has anyone tryed to put in LED's in the guage cluster? Is there any other newer year guage clusters that will fit the 86?

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the same issue. It is on my list of things to do. I am going to try replacing the green plastic with a thinner blue. Then I am going to replace all of the bulbs with new. If you do go to LED's let us know how it goes. I sure we are not the only ones wanting to do this.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just pull the green caps off and run just the clear bulbs. Much brighter and looks much better.

So you have done this? Sweet can I see a pic?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I really like the green and it fatigues my eyes less at night than the white light.

The best thing to do is to take the dashboard out and clean all of the contacts for the bulbs. Then make sure all of the contacts for your battery, ground cable, and alternator are clean.

It takes about an hour or so to do it all, but in the end the lights will be ALOT brighter for nothing more invested than your time.

Justin

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
So you have done this??
Yes :thumbup

Sweet can I see a pic?
I have tried to take a pic of it with the lights on several times, it never works. I can try again tonight.

I also painted my needles red, wich gives the gauges an auto-meter sport comp look.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
;) Yes please try again. I would like to get general idea ofhow much it would brighten them up. Thanks again. :thumbup

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I bought a set of white faces for my guages in my Mustang about a year ago. They are still waiting to be installed because I bought a bronco which now takes all my time and money. Has anyone seen something similar for the BKO's????

This is a similar look to the ones I bought.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea, they sell those on ebay for the bko's I wouldnt mind having them because of the blue light, but I really dont want a white face, it would look really tacky in my bko (the interior is blue)

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Has anyone seen something similar for the BKO's????
Yes for 87 up Broncos with back lit gauges.
(Light goes through the gauge)

But we are talking about 86 down Broncos with front lit gauges.
(Light is reflected off the backside of the cluster front cover on to the gauge faces)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have the opposit problem in my F-150. They are like freekin spotlights in my dash.I turn the head light knob down till I can just see the gauges.I did have a friend that has a 86 F-150 and the light does suck.To bad you could not spray the gauges white and use model paint to do the marks on the face red or green or what ever color you want to use.That should help out alot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I remeber reading somewhere where a guy switched out the lights to different color LEDS on a Taurus and it was the same for a Bronco. Old thread though... search for led gauges or something...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Wow, those look nice.. I only have 2 or 3 working lights in my dash.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best I could do.

Hell that looks really good. I used to own a taurus and you can do the LED conversion on just about every taurus model. I have not searched to see if they actually make a LED guage set for the bronco. But it is likely that it is possible.

Anyone ever took a guage set from a newer model bronco and made it work in a older model?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Best I could do.

Still looks greenish to me:toothless

Thanks Gack

Sixlitre

p.s./
I used to care about the lower light levels on the stock gauges, but now that I know my Bronco's every whim and moan I just drive her and rarely look at the gauges at night.

I've even caught myself dimming mine, out the country, so's I kin focus on what I'm about to run over at night:toothless

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Still looks greenish to me:toothless
Thats from coloring, sharpening, contrasting, and brightening the picture so that the light levels are acurate at the expense of the color quality.
There is absolutly no green hue in real life.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Thats from coloring, sharpening, contrasting, and brightening the picture so that the light levels are acurate at the expense of the color quality.
There is absolutly no green hue in real life.
I know Gackner

I was pullin' your chain, undeservedly, after you going out and snappin' the pics for everyone.

My apologies, I'm bored today, there's another 9" of snow I've gotta go outside and blow and I'z procrastinating.

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 33 Posts