Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm bringing my pretty much stock 78 to Paragon (PA) in 2 weeks. Have many of you guys gone wheeling up there? What can my stock-ish 78 handle. She has 31" BFG Mud Terrains. Anything I should avoid? I want to have fun :rockon , but i want to drive back home too :thumbup

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't been to Paragon but I can tell you that I've done some pretty good trails in my stock bronco (before she got lifted and locked etc etc). I was going on stuff that people were running with 4 inches of lift and locked and big tires. (Toyota with 6 inches of lift and 35's) It did cause for some interesting situations and I sometimes had to back up and adjust my line of approach but I did pretty much everything they did (except for the narrow ravine which I couldn't fit down). Just wanted to let you know that a stock 78 is still dang capable where others are lifted and locked. I was running 33s but I don't think that would make too much of a difference.

Hope you have fun in PA! :)

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
paragon has a little of everything, from green (mild) to black (wild). i wheeled my stock 96 on 31's for the first time there 2+ yrs ago in the winter and had a good time, at least you have mt's, that'll help alot. limited slips and/or lockers would be quite helpful, too, but you can still have fun without them.

you should be able to do up to low blues without too much problem i would think, your main limitation will probably be clearance issues. unless it snows, of course, then every trail gets a whole lot harder as your traction goes to poop. we were there on dec. 10 and most of the stockers had trouble with ice underneath a fresh layer of snow. even guys with limited slips had difficulties. if that happens just stick to the greens (they'll be plenty hard at that rate) and/or the staging/play area and you'll be fine. avoid the ice ponds in the play area (if you don't know where they are, ask someone, like bnkrtsk), they can be deadly if covered by a thin layer of snow.

make sure your battery is properly secured (they check) and that you have tow points attached, just in case. even on some of the harder trails there are bypasses so you can't really get into too much trouble. let us know how you like it, the ne chapter goes there every few months. on the 28th we're going to rausch creek for a change of pace.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
I wouldn't try to avoid anything except icy puddles that you don't know how deep they are :brownbag

I wheeled both of my 79's at stock height and followed rigs with 6 inches of lift. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
I was there on Dec 29 and 30..the trail ice was still treacherous on the more traveled routes, making green trails blue (at least..more like playing pinball with the rocks), as mentioned before. It was actually better where we were playing on black trails (Rabbit Run for example) and the rock piles because the snow had not been packed in to ice on the trails and was gone off the rocks. With all this warmer weather, I'm sure it's all clear again and back to 'normal'. The place is so big that green and blue1-2 trails will keep you plenty occupied.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
I wouldn't try to avoid anything except icy puddles that you don't know how deep they are :brownbag
What?..you didn't figure out how deep that one was?..I figured you foudn the bottom sooner or later.:toothless

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Some of the mud I encountered while wheeling in Lansdale on my way home from Paragon was pretty gooey too...:duh

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
1978BEAST said:
Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. I can't wait to get out there and play. I get so tried of driving the bronco on the streets. I'm sure after i hit the trails i will return with a wish list of mods for the truck. :twotu:
LOL..I'm not just sure about that..I'm positive. Every improvement in my current rig that allows me to do harder and harder stuff just leads directly to the identification of the next mods required to handle even harder stuff...it never ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts