Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on a trail with my gray Bronco. My front axle is a stock housing with 8 lug outters, 4.56 gears, a lok-rite locker, new shafts with new premium Dana u-joints turning 38" boggers. I was in a rut that the right just got deeper and I needed to get out. I was creeping along with my steering at full lock to the left. I tried to climb out of the rut and snap. I got out and looked around, but with the mud I couldn't see anything. I got back in and tried again the guy guy behind me hollared at me on the CB and said there were sparks flying from my right front wheel. I ask also hearing a severe grinding and crunching sound. I decided to use my winch to pull me out of the rut so I could see what was going on. Once I got to a level spot I noticed that my right front shaft had no u-joint. The shaft didn't even have any ears left. I started unloading while my buds jacked it up. I had my spare shaft installed and the tire back on in about 30 minutes.

So what caused this? I have beat on my truck before and didn't break a shaft. My guess is everything combined at just the right time with the steering at full lock. So what should I do to upgrade? I don't want to put a 60 in here at this time. I'm thinking the joint gave out, so a better joint might cure the problem. Maybe I should try those yukon super joints. Maybe just the Brute Force joints that Autozone sells would be good enough. Should I also get the shafts upgraded? I wonder how much it would cost to get shafts and joints? I have a few spares and they are fairly cheap, so maybe I'll just continue on. I'll post some pics of what's left of the shafts tomorrow.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
You'll nuke stock D44 shafts as fast as you can change em. Been there dunnit. Best thing I did on the D44 was the Warn alloy shafts and CTM ujoints. I know it seems expensive but really it's not once you get the pile of busted parts like I had going while my Warn shafts were on backorder (In '02 when they were new).
Forget the parts house brand ujoints. Spicer are the only ones that have a chance of holding on until the shaft breaks. I even considered running the Warn hub fuses to keep the damage localized and cheap, but I wasted another half dozen shafts instead. Finally the Warn shafts arrived and I was jumping it and busted the locker instead of the shafts. Yipee!
Now I have a D60 front so I break drivelines instead.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
d44 will eat shafts with those big meats all the time. even warns and ctms will be eaten over time.

biggest failure on the shafts is the clips work thier way out then the cap comes out then boom.

I tack welded in my D60 clips so they do not back out, yet it is easy to change the u joints with a quick grind from the die grinder.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Parts breakage is natures way of saying it's time for an upgrade. If you'd a learned how to drive with me you would have been breaking all those parts before you lifted the truck. Alloy shafts would be a good start if you dont want to go 1-ton running gear

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
At $339 shipped without joints that goes a long ways towards a 60.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Gub_Ni said:
At $339 shipped without joints that goes a long ways towards a 60.

It's better than it sitting on stands when everyone else is wheeling.

Besides, don't you have a couple 60's laying around?

Here is mine,

but it wouldn't have broke if the ball joint stayed together. :banghead

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bnkrtstk said:
It's better than it sitting on stands when everyone else is wheeling.

Besides, don't you have a couple 60's laying around?
I've only got one extra and it's got a future home in an EB project. I think I'm just going to upgrade to yukon super joints and go for it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got lucky and only broke the u joints last weekend. I posted a thread to see if any one had some info on the spicer 5-760x u joints and nobody responded.I also run the yukon shafts but mine are from bronco graveyard.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Boogered 78 said:
I got lucky and only broke the u joints last weekend. I posted a thread to see if any one had some info on the spicer 5-760x u joints and nobody responded.I also run the yukon shafts but mine are from bronco graveyard.

I have one trip on my 5-760x joints and they help up OK so far. We didn't do any hard stuff either. I tried to order from JBG but they were on back order for over a month, or so I was told. But I've since ordered a few more things from www.completeoffroad.com and their service is second to none. :thumbup

·
Registered
727 Posts
Why not take the 60 out of the black bronco that's just sitting there? Or have you sold it?

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's still sitting there, and because I hope to sell it one day.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Found out today that I did not get so lucky. One of my stub shafts had a crack in the ear. So i called bronco graveyard and they told me to send it in and they will try to get a warranty on it. Just so you know they told me that it takes about a month to get yukon shafts from Randys so you might want to order them from him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts