Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the front slip yoke and u joint again!:banghead Where can i find a stronger than stock slip yoke and U-joints for my 96??
Ive tried to find some stronger ones last time it broke, and i couldnt find any?? Any Suggestions??

Thanks,
Matt

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I did that one time, at least they aren't hard to fix. Follow Redwagon's advise and upgrade to the D50 stub shaft

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 302, 4.88, detroit rear, trutrac front, 38''super swamper TSL, 8''skyjacker(i think), 3''bl

get some 35" tires or go with some 1 ton axles. that puny dana 44 is not going to cut it. :twak

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
get some 35" tires or go with some 1 ton axles. that puny dana 44 is not going to cut it. :twak
Good call Jopes, I missed the 38's

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I was going to say D50 also, but with 38s you need SAS.
The only advantage a solid 44 would have is more options for aftermarket shafts the reality is the axle isnt much stronger. 1tons for 38's

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
With the 1/2 ton parts available the "1 ton" answer isnt the only
answer these days. I agree locked 38's on rocks with a fullsize is pushing it.
And yes, I realize you will "pay" big for hardened parts for the IFS D44.

I like to think the OP's rig would have a better chance of surviving with a
solid D44 and some better then stock steel with his current setup.
(thats what Im going with anyway until my truck proves to me otherwise lol)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with all of you about sas, and 1 ton axles, but until i gather enough information from this sight as well as some money, i cant do a sas yet... it has been on my mind but i just dont have the time or resources to do it... although i plan to do one some day, until that day i guess i will have to settle for the d50 upgrade.

A few questions on the d50 upgrade: I aleady have a locked front and i want to take that out, how difficult is that to do?
Also will my passenger side stub have no c-clip b/c it is locked, correct?
If so how exactly do i take it out??
Do i have to remove the chunk, or does it just slide out like the drivers side does?
Can i put on the new u-joint with out taking the axles out??...i thought i saw a right up on that here but now i cant find it.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
With the 1/2 ton parts available the "1 ton" answer isnt the only
answer these days. I agree locked 38's on rocks with a fullsize is pushing it.
And yes, I realize you will "pay" big for hardened parts for the IFS D44.

I like to think the OP's rig would have a better chance of surviving with a
solid D44 and some better then stock steel with his current setup.
(thats what Im going with anyway until my truck proves to me otherwise lol)
I disagree with that comment. yes the dana 44 will hold up for a while, but once it starts breaking it is breaking everything all the time. not worth the $$$ for alloy shafts and strong u-joints. put it in a 60 and a stock 60 is far stronger than a beefed dana 44

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I disagree with that comment. yes the dana 44 will hold up for a while, but once it starts breaking it is breaking everything all the time. not worth the $$$ for alloy shafts and strong u-joints. put it in a 60 and a stock 60 is far stronger than a beefed dana 44
I heard the ball joints will separate if you break a shaft just right

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
you can also stretch a KP 60 knuckle out if you break a shaft just right as well.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Again I like to think the added weight makes the comparison a wash.
But my opinion is probably biased do to the fact that Im not swapping
a D60 in my rig anytime soon because of the initial cost and work involved
lol...If I could trade, straight up right now for a 60 and 8 lug rims for my
junk I would. For now Ill continue to defend my previous statement until
my truck breaks lots-o-stuff.

Bottom line 38's and 1/2 parts nowadays is doable. Even with lockers if
you stay off the rocks. (until further notice lol)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I Agree. I just broke a ox-joint in my 44 but it took 3 years to do it.Thats way better than everytime.Thats with a detroit.An ARB would be even better

:chili:your in my 1/2 ton w/38's club lol :beer

New school:rockon Nice truck...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts