Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a quick cruise with the bronco, and I guess I broke something up front. It happened while going through hard snow like a block or so long. I was in low range and driving it pretty hard through it, and not all of a sudden, but kind of quickly I heard a kind of crunching sound. Also did it in 2 Hi with the hubs locked in. Put them to Free and it didnt do it, until I cranked the wheel almost to lock then i could faintly hear it again. I'm so pissed at this thing, the Ramcharger is starting to look pretty good :cry I figure it must be the diff... stuipid TTB. Anyone agree with that, any ideas what it could be? Maybe it's a sign to get the solid axle before my lift and tires. Thanks guys

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
You probbibly just popped a hub. Go fix it and stop thinking about ramchargers you crybaby.

And if you think the Bronco is bad just WAIT till you get a ramcharger.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
i was out wheeling in ocala last month, tearing ass through a swamp and hit something submerged, the ass flew up in the air and low and behold...snapped a front driveshaft.

sucks you didntt do it doing anything exciting.

if yo dont already have a lift, i would do an sas before i did any kind of suspension lift.
i dont regret doin my 6in lift but i am saving up for my sas now. i could have used that grand for the sas and rear end swap instead.
that being said though, i dont think an sas would have saved me from a broken front driveshaft.
crap happens when yer havin fun in the swamp.
if aint one thing it'll be another.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Froggmann said:
You probbibly just popped a hub. Go fix it and stop thinking about ramchargers you crybaby.

And if you think the Bronco is bad just WAIT till you get a ramcharger.
And why complain about the TTB? It handles our 40" boggers.

People and the SAS bandwagon.. :histerica

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Spectre said:
And why complain about the TTB? It handles our 40" boggers.

People and the SAS bandwagon.. :histerica
SAS has nothing to do with your 40" boggers... wheel it hard enough, and you will upgrade to a 60. A solid 44 won't handle the boggers any better than a ttb.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was spinning it up to about 25 mph in low range. Something else I should throw out there is that I've been driving around town quite a bit in low range with the front hubs locked out because of my shitty SROD transmission. Think that would have worn anything out prematurely? I've had it going like 40 mph in low range like that. :duh

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
daverbmxer said:
I was spinning it up to about 25 mph in low range. Something else I should throw out there is that I've been driving around town quite a bit in low range with the front hubs locked out because of my shitty SROD transmission. Think that would have worn anything out prematurely? I've had it going like 40 mph in low range like that. :duh
:shocked :shocked

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Don't complain about your truck failing you if your abusing it.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I didn't think that I was... I read a post on here earlier about locking out the front hubs and they said it was fine to drive that way. It's not binding up at the transfer case, it's just like a more geared down 2 wheel drive right? Anyway, I'm hoping all it is is a U joint. I feel like such a retard tho.. haha

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
You do realize your front diff is a slightly lower than your front, Also WTF are you doing driving around in low range?!? At 40 MPH to boot!!!

Have fun fixing your junk in the snow. If you leave it it will likely just get worse.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, it was fine and kept going through the snow and everthing, so I'm assuming that it was working somewhat anyway. Doubt I could have made it out of there in 2 wheel drive. It's sitting out in the parking lot right now but it's much too cold to check it out right now. It's right about 0 degrees F right now.. which makes me wonder if something became too brittle and just snapped. Still is fine to drive with the hubs in Free also.. so things could be much worse. By the way 40 mph seems like alot.. it is too, just doesn't really seem like it with it in Overdrive.. also only had it there for a bit. Usually drove it to work at 25 to 30. Didn't seem that bad at the time...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Well I didn't think that I was... I read a post on here earlier about locking out the front hubs and they said it was fine to drive that way. It's not binding up at the transfer case, it's just like a more geared down 2 wheel drive right? Anyway, I'm hoping all it is is a U joint. I feel like such a retard tho.. haha

They were talking about pulling boats out of the water and things like that. NOT doing 40 miles an hour running down the street.

Low Range is meant for MAX 10-15 mph, maybe 20.......not 40

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
God damnit... yeah ok. I feel so dumb. Guess I'll probably be looking for a new transfer case then? Might have been it's time anyway. I previously posted about myself getting stuck in a snowbank and trying to back out. Heard a popping sound and a couple guys thought it could have been the chain in the T-case slipping. Might have been just about it's time to go, this just topped it off and finished it.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Do some DIAGNOSIS..Dont just automaticly assume the worst. When it was popping, did the wheels bind at all?? It could be a number of things...Hubs, u-joints, wheel joints, axles, t-case.

You will have some kind of problems no matter what your driving..Esp when doing 40 mph in low range. Who needs low range in snow anyways?

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need low range when I come to the slightest hill or when going through snow lol. That SROD's first gear is 3.5 to 1 i think. Good transmissions with low first gears like the NP 435 are 6.7 to 1. My 1st gear is even more geared up than that one's 2nd gear. Anyway yeah I plan on doing some diagnosing of what happened once it warms up somewhere near freezing again. What would you suggest. Just a visual check first.. maybe turn the driveshaft both ways to see if I have any slack at the U joint. maybe also lock the hubs in, jack up the front and turn the wheels to see if they bind up or anything? Thanks

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Check all your u-joints. All 5 of them up front, 2 driveshaft and 3 axle. Check your rear ujoints while you're at it as well. If you want take out your axle fill plug and look at your spider gears

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
JahWarrior said:
SAS has nothing to do with your 40" boggers... wheel it hard enough, and you will upgrade to a 60. A solid 44 won't handle the boggers any better than a ttb.
Well, I agree with what you're saying Jah, cept that a solid 44 does have some options to make it better (alloy shafts, and 8 lug is easy), but yes, you are right, I would not choose any D44 front to run a 40" tire, let alone a bogger.

Spectre, you should be careful jabbering about 40" boggers and a TTB front and 8.8? on here. I know you have a right to your opinion, but if you truly use this rig, you will find breakage quickly. And I know at least a half dozen folks on here with personal experience to this. Many with tires less than yours. We won't even go to the rear if you are actually running the 8.8.
That's laughable.:histerica And I like 8.8's, they just are no where able to handle that kind of tire.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Shadofax said:
Well, I agree with what you're saying Jah, cept that a solid 44 does have some options to make it better (alloy shafts, and 8 lug is easy), but yes, you are right, I would not choose any D44 front to run a 40" tire, let alone a bogger.
True that, I was referring specifically to standard 5 lug 44 swap, but even then like you said there are at least some upgrade options to make it a little more feasible. of course for the money it will cost you to make a 44 even close to as sturdy as a 60, you could just buy the 60 to begin with ;) Of course I'm preaching to the choir here :beer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts