Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have had problems with my 96 Broncos door not opening with the inside handle until the handle gets all the way up, and then some. It finally broke off yesterday and i already have a new one on the way.

I did a search and only came up with one thread. I did also look at Steve's door diagrams. The thread was from 2005 and said there was no adjustment on the door latch cable. Is this true? I have always kept the hinges and latches lubed with silicone ever since i have owned it. I figured when the new handle shows up i will inspect everything, lube everything up again and see how it works.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what i should be looking for to possibly adjust it so that the handle doesn't need to be snapped off just to get the door to unlatch.

Thanks, Jerry.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Did the handle break, or did the metal in the door give way? The metal giving way is a very common problem that can be fixed easily.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plastic handle definately broke. Snapped right off.

I have not had the door panel off yet to look at it. Can the metal give way and cause it to be out of adjustment?

Looks like i need to get it tore apart and look at it.

I did see that recall on Steve's diagrams but only saw it mention 92 Rangers being affected. Must include all Broncos too? My bad.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
The plastic handle definately broke. Snapped right off.

I have not had the door panel off yet to look at it. Can the metal give way and cause it to be out of adjustment?
Yes because you end up pulling harder to get the door to open. There is a TSB from Ford's on this issue. Very common problem.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I had the same problem. The pivot holes for the handle mechanism wore to the point where pulling the handle was not sufficient enough to pull the cable enough to open the latch. The only solution is to replace the entire mechanism but the cable itself was fine and didn't have to be messed with. I simply went to the junkyard and pulled one off another truck that was in much better shape- cost me a few bucks for it.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I recently had this problem on my 1994 F250, where the door would not release until the handle was at it's highest point, along with me pushing on the door with my shoulder. The handle finally broke off and I bought a new one at Ford, which was not that expensive at all.

I removed the door panel and easily replaced the handle as it is attached with only one bolt. A friend of mine, who is an ex auto body repairman, showed me a slightly bent linkage rod inside the door. This was due to the door latch not being in alignment with the striker and my over torquing of the handle.

After tweaking the linkage rod, he loosened the screws to the door latch readjusting it more toward the striker. As good as new now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My latch mechinisms pivot points are all solid and my 96 Bronco uses a cable to actuate the door latch.

I took the latch off and inspected the door metal under it. I didn't think it looked that bad and at first i thought the cracks were only in the paint until i tried prying up on the hole itself. It definately is cracked all the way through and in need of repair. Looks like i will need to make a reinforcement piece to go behind it. I'm hoping after that, the door will open without having to break the handle off.

I did a search before i posted but didn't look far enough. I could have found everything i needed. But, if it helped anyone else it's all for the good.

heycoach - you need to check to see if yours has the same problem as mine. Thanks for the link sackman.

·
Registered
302 Posts
my 94 did that on both sides, enough to where i couldnt even open my door from the inside anymore. Traded it off with out door handles lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just took the panel off and pulled on the Handle piece and wrapped some 18 gauge behind it to create a spacer, thus shortening the travel needed to pop the latch open when you pull the handle. About a year strong now

·
Registered
649 Posts
When the metal holding my door handle broke off I used it as an excuse to buy my Northern Tool welder. My wife OKed it when I started getting out of the truck Dukes of Hazard style while all her friends watched.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do . . to get toys.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've broke two already and the last time I used two washers to sandwich the area where my door panel's sheetmetal is cracked and had to bend back a tab on the latch because a year of over torquing bent it. So far so good.
Great! When I was going to the Fabulous Fords Forever show the damn thing broke! :doh0715: I fawkin' Jinxed Myself!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
so is there a recall for this issue. i have a 94 with the plate cracked pretty badly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Would silicon spray be best for that cable? I used white lithium grease on a friends 96 and man it was as slick as snot on a door knob after that.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
If it was the metal that gave way, I've got a post...
...that shows what I did to fix my problem.
{here it is...}
Ok. All FIXED!! so this is what I used to fix the problem.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/693204/fullsize/img_0487.jpg
...used a 3/16 piece of steel cut 2"x1", drilled it then
tapped with a M6x1.0 and now it opens just fine.
Cool one, Sack. :)

I won't necessarily do the same thing but will carry-on with the idea tho. :)
Mine aren't broken, they are just sloppy feeling/acting because of the design.

Alvin in AZ
ps- I promise a follow-up. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so is there a recall for this issue. i have a 94 with the plate cracked pretty badly.
Somewhere i read it was for 92 Rangers, but also have read elsewhere it is for a number of models including your 94 Bronco. But until someone says for sure... we'll say..... maybe.

It wasn't hard for me to make a small plate to reinforce mine. It seems to be working fine now that i did that and replaced the handle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem with my 96, and I ended up just replacing the cable, and the handle. Parts ran me about 9 or $10 new, and the labor was really easy to do. It now works like a dream.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts