Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BAH! Just came back from a late late late dinner..

Pulled in the driveway, went to pull the key out, and there was only about a 1/2'' there...It broke off inside. Bah. Im to tired and its to cold to go sit out there...What do i do? I was thinking of grinding down a set of needlenose pliers and pulling it out?

There is enough in there that you can see it, Its just so thin, the key...sickos, its hard to grab it and pull it out.

Any other quick fix suggestions? I dont want to have to pull apart the dash and everything...

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
STOP!!!!!!

Just replace the cylinder now and be done with it. If you Fawk it up you'll have to tear the colom apart to replace it. Trust me, I had to do emergency sergery on Jhew Bronco at a gas station cause his cylinder fell apart. Not very quick fix.

Stick the remaining part in the lock, turn it to run, remove the cylinder as in the haynes manual. put in new one.

A new cylinder is $10 - $15 and takes 5 minutes to replace if you didn't Fawk it up already

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bah. My manuals are at my grandpas house from a few weeks ago...

Anyway of getting the info online?!?!?!?

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is a door cylinder? Or the ignition?

For the door panel just pull the clip on the edge of the door and it pulls out, watch the piece on the back as it snaps easily with age.

If it's the ignition undo the four screws that hold the plastic up under the steering wheel. Then put the rest of your key in and turn it to the on position (Not run) and then take a toothpick or something similiar and push it into the little hole on the ignition and at the same time pull the ignition out. Tape it up and take it to a locksmith (Or see below), you can turn the truck on with a flathead.

If it's just a broken key once it's out it's easier to play with or to take to a locksmith and have him extract it. If you buy a new one you'll still have to take it to a locksmith to have him rekey it for you.... you don't want another key to add to the Bronco collection do ya?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like they said. But Isn't the ignition key all by itself? It doesn't open anything else does it? Mine dont :shrug All the doors and tailgate use the door key and I dont lock the glove box anyways so I dont know what key that is. But yeah, just replace the cylinder and be done with it. This way you also get a new non-wore out cylinder.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
my 93 uses the ignition key and the door key as one. the tailgate key is separate. as fireguy and the otherguy were explaining its easy to change the cylinders.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Definatly take out the ignition cylinder while you can. If you mess it up then you can't get it out. Once you get is out bang it up side down on a big maganent and hopefully get the piece out.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought a new one. 20 bucks. Ill just add another key...It'll make me look important. :rockon

Bought a sector shaft seal and pitman puller as well. Thats for later. Ill keep everyone informed...Like they care :iiss

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
yep, there is a little hole under the key cylinder some where. You'll see it ;)
It's on't 1/8", but once you know what your looking for it's very obvious.
Look at the new one, you'll see the little pin that hold it in and that will show you where the hole is even better. 5 minutes your done, you "can" have it re-keyed later to match the others. But that's just a conveniounce (sp)

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah...Bought a new one, took 3 minutes to replace..yeah...

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. It was good anyway, The other one had the infamous 'spin' thing, You could be it to run, without a key and listen to the radio.... Seen it on 3 or 4 f-1/250s of the same years as mine...I think it was a defect? Not sure..

·
Banned
21,545 Posts
Blaze said:
Damn good visuals Steve! :thumbup Where'd they come from?
;) To find out where ANY element of a web page comes from (including images I post), right-click it and look at the properties. :toothless Those came from the Chilton's site I link to all the time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Only the first part of the key does the ignition according to the ford dealer when they cut my keys for my 94.They also said there is only 4 sets of keys for 94 true or not I do not know.So all you have to do is get the old key out and the busted off piece and take it to a real locksmith to cut your new key to work on your door too.Mine was cut at the dealer on the new ignition key.Tailgate key was made from just the lock at a real locksmith for 10.00 just had to take the lock to him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just did this same deal on my 93, But I didn't like the idea of using two different keys(one for ignition
and one for the doors),So I took em' apart,swapped the tumblers(a few tiny springs so watch out)
and WALA works great.......Just my .02 cents :chili:

:santa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts