Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It looks like its just the clamp that broke... what a design!!!

It's the clamp that connects the tie rod end to the main shaft there. Why would you use a clamp there that is like the thickness of a beer can???

Where do I start on this one guys?

I'll get better pics tomorrow.

EDIT - oh yeah this happened when I was going around a turn... lost steering in one wheel... yikes!!

Made me kinda want to sell it, I woulda been hosed if this happened going any faster.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out to spray the truck with PB blaster and noticed its leaking fluid right down that broken shaft. Looked like oil, but Idk why it would be... yikes!

Tomorrow should be fun

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
id just replace the sleeve and get an alignment if you feel its needed. and figure out where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id just replace the sleeve and get an alignment if you feel its needed. and figure out where the leak is coming from.
After a few beers I have realized that the "leak" is most likely some oil that I spilled yesterday on top of the engine when I knocked the funnel out. :thumbup

Do you need to unbolt the tie rod end to replace the sleeve? Probably to adjust it right? Turn the tie cc or ccw to adjust? The less I have to remove (rust) the better.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I am guessing it was caused by rust. I would do whatever my gut feeling told me to do. Just looking at it here, I would assume the only bad part is the sleeve, but.........

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am guessing it was caused by rust. I would do whatever my gut feeling told me to do. Just looking at it here, I would assume the only bad part is the sleeve, but.........
Yeah it rusted through. The sleeves are really thin compared to everything else so I think I'm fine if I can just get it off....

Try to align as best I can and then take it to a shop.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Yeah it rusted through. The sleeves are really thin compared to everything else so I think I'm fine if I can just get it off....

Try to align as best I can and then take it to a shop.
I use PB Blaster for rusted stuff over here.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I would get a BF4lb sledge hammer, Harbor Freight $9.99 and a pickle fork O'Reillys $11.99 and drop the entire drag link and wire wheel it to the max to clean it up then spary Break Free all over it and wipe it down, replace BOTH sleeves and all the TRE dust cover boots using any color polyurethane Energy Suspension 2 packages for 4 in all for around $10.00, I went with Red...reinstall it and lube all the zerks.

www.supermotors.net/17406 - Dust Cover Boots and new Tires dtd 7/13/11 - first video on the left with the tire.

Mine came out really nice!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would get a BF4lb sledge hammer, Harbor Freight $9.99 and a pickle fork O'Reillys $11.99 and drop the entire drag link and wire wheel it to the max to clean it up then spary Break Free all over it and wipe it down, replace BOTH sleeves and all the TRE dust cover boots using any color polyurethane Energy Suspension 2 packages for 4 in all for around $10.00, I went with Red...reinstall it and lube all the zerks.

www.supermotors.net/17406 - Dust Cover Boots and new Tires dtd 7/13/11 - first video on the left with the tire.

Mine came out really nice!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
Would a torch be a good idea here? I spent 30 min and haven't got anything to move.

Broken side:

Soon to be broken side:

:whiteflag

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's about to rain/snow here for the next 4 days. Might just put the truck up for sale, can't keep doing this.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
HOLY SH!T, that is some rust!! haha

I think I would replace the whole set if it were me...

Go to Rock Auto and order a couple of TRE's, a new center link, a new drag link and a couple of new sleeves and be done with it....

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Once you loosen the bolts, you should be able to pry the sleeve off somehow, using bolt cutters, or something. I would imagine the tie rods, and such only have surface rust, but what do I know? I'm in CA.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HOLY SH!T, that is some rust!! haha

I think I would replace the whole set if it were me...

Go to Rock Auto and order a couple of TRE's, a new center link, a new drag link and a couple of new sleeves and be done with it....

Is that basically the whole assembly?

Like this guy did:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133625

Any idea how much that will run me?

Also can someone help me get the correct parts from Rock Auto - there are a lot of versions of the same parts it seems:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1105793

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Follow that write up and you'll be set!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
good god thats a rediculous amount of rust.. id redo all the steering unless you cant afford it. shit id take everything apart and start over. wire wheel and paint and fix all of it. there are holes in your dust shields even.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good god thats a rediculous amount of rust.. id redo all the steering unless you cant afford it. shit id take everything apart and start over. wire wheel and paint and fix all of it. there are holes in your dust shields even.

Yeah the rust has effectively welded everything together. Pretty friggin crazy.

I refuse to lose though!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm probably going to get yelled at, but I'd sell it. When somehting like a tie-rod sleeve rusts through to the point of breaking? I can't imagine your radius arms, the lips on your knuckles and axles your balljoints go into, your front axles shafts.. I wonder what your wheel bearings and hubs look like? etc.
Was it a plow truck? I know they can get messy in the front-end, but behind that you can have a pretty decent truck.

I'd double check some of the important parts before you put money into it. The frame near the engine crossmember, the engine crossmember itself, the coil buckets, the radius arms and brackets, etc. See how close that stuff is to disintegrating before you decide to redo the steering. But to be fair, I had a 78 with a rust hole in the frame and I jumped it, mudded in it, drove on the interstate and it held together just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm probably going to get yelled at, but I'd sell it. When somehting like a tie-rod sleeve rusts through to the point of breaking? I can't imagine your radius arms, the lips on your knuckles and axles your balljoints go into, your front axles shafts.. I wonder what your wheel bearings and hubs look like? etc.
Was it a plow truck? I know they can get messy in the front-end, but behind that you can have a pretty decent truck.

I'd double check some of the important parts before you put money into it. The frame near the engine crossmember, the engine crossmember itself, the coil buckets, the radius arms and brackets, etc. See how close that stuff is to disintegrating before you decide to redo the steering. But to be fair, I had a 78 with a rust hole in the frame and I jumped it, mudded in it, drove on the interstate and it held together just fine.

AFAIK it was not a plow truck.

If I sell it I need to find another truck for winter ASAP.

I like this truck a lot but I can't get too attached if its a bucket.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts