Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my ball joints and went ahead and did bearings, seals and u-joints while I was at it. I had to take one of the rotors back off the following day after I had driven it and I found the pin broken on the spindle nut. I used the information out of the manual to tighten them - torque it to 50 ft pound and then back it off 90 degrees install the locking ring and then the locking nut and torque to 150 ft pounds. I replaced the nut and installed it and once I had it locked down I took it apart to see if the pin was intact which it was. On the other side I replaced all the same parts and drove it around and when I took it back apart to check that pin it to had broken. My question is what would cause these pins to break, I verify that they are lined up with the hole in the locking ring and the installation procedures should be correct as far as I can tell but it seems I am doing something wrong for these pins to keep breaking.

·
Administrator
22,848 Posts
are you sure they are not just pushed farther into the nut? I have seen several times were you may think the washer is lined up right but its not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take a look at that and see if they will push out from the back side.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I will take a look at that and see if they will push out from the back side.

Thanks for the help.
They will push in if not lined up completely. I had one that was loose in the hole, had to drive it out and dimple the end with a center punch then drive the pin back into the nut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help I suppose I have a couple of spares now once I push the pins back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts