Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I did some damage yesterday on the trails. I believe I have correctly identified it as a broken sector shaft, but I figured I'd put up some pics in case anyone wants to take a look and tell me if I'm wrong.

Pics are here.

Assuming I am correct, is it possible to just replace that sector shaft or am I looking at replacing the whole steering box?

And if I have to replace the whole steering box, should I go for a rebuilt OEM like this or an upgraded model like this for double the money?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

steiney

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
with a broken sector shaft they will probably not giv you a core charge back.

The second one is for a early bronco not a 78 bronco.

I'd go with a local parts store rebuild. They are more apt not to realize the sector shaft is broken so you get your core charge back.

or a junk yard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, wow! A rebuilt steering box from Advance Auto Parts is about $200 cheaper! I didn't even think to look for something that specific on a general auto parts website. Thanks!

I haven't had much luck with the very small, understocked junkyard in my city, unfortunately.

Follow up question: Is there anything I can do in the future to prevent from breaking the sector shaft or is that just part of off-roading?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
pitman arm is huge, ditch it.

hydro assist

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,585 Posts
When my sector shaft broke, I got my core charge back. even told them up front..not like I was able to hide it. Lotta fun swapping out a box trail side...in the dark. I was just glad to have one avail. to get running again quick. Had a hairline crack from some point..maybe before I bought the rig.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
look at the break. Was it clean? Fresh. Or does it have some rust on it showing it was already fractured from a previous accident .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pitman arm is huge, ditch it.

hydro assist

look at the break. Was it clean? Fresh. Or does it have some rust on it showing it was already fractured from a previous accident .
I didn't know they came in different sizes. So, would that be an aftermarket piece then, if it's a different size than OEM?

I just looked into the hydro assists. I'll have to do my research but at least they don't look too expensive.

The break was totally clean. Definitely a fresh snap all the way through. That was the first thing I checked out when I figured out why my Bronco was not steering anymore!

When my sector shaft broke, I got my core charge back. even told them up front..not like I was able to hide it. Lotta fun swapping out a box trail side...in the dark. I was just glad to have one avail. to get running again quick. Had a hairline crack from some point..maybe before I bought the rig.
Well that makes me hopeful about getting back my core charge! That's funny though. My buddy and I happened to be about 600 ft. from the intersection of a forest trail road and a paved road when our steering went out. So, I drove while he turned the tires by hand, then we winched a bit when the tire turning got difficult, then another Bronco guy came buy and pulled us out the rest of the way to the paved road. Then, my buddy's grandma happened to live 15 minutes away from where we were (2 hours from our home city). His grandma came and picked up us, took us to my buddy's house, we took my car hauler and his truck and went and picked up my Bronco. You talk about your lucky circumstances!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

Does anyone know where I could purchase a new or used sector shaft to replace in my Bronco's steering box?

No one has rebuilt steering boxes in stock. NAPA is able to take my existing box, send it to Cardone, have Cardone rebuild it and send it back to NAPA, but that will cost an extra $120 in shipping costs, for a grand total of $316, which is still cheaper than a rebuilt box from Bronco Graveyard.

Thanks in advance,

steiney

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Just have advance order one. It'll be faster and far cheaper than waiting for cardone to rebuild it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just have advance order one. It'll be faster and far cheaper than waiting for cardone to rebuild it.
Do you mean have Advance Auto Parts order me a sector shaft or a rebuilt gear box? They don't have either in stock and they could only offer me the same deal as NAPA regarding sending in my existing box and having it rebuilt. Plus, they were about $20 more than NAPA, which is why I went with NAPA instead of Advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I know, that sector shaft is no longer available new. So, you have to find a good used one. There are certain '60's FoMoCo cars out there that use a very similar sector shaft that can be used as a replacement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I know, that sector shaft is no longer available new. So, you have to find a good used one. There are certain '60's FoMoCo cars out there that use a very similar sector shaft that can be used as a replacement.
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know if 80's Bronco's sector shafts are usable in 78 Broncos? My local junkyard has several 80's Broncos but no 70's Broncos and really no cars older than the 80's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know if 80's Bronco's sector shafts are usable in 78 Broncos? My local junkyard has several 80's Broncos but no 70's Broncos and really no cars older than the 80's.
No luck with the 80's Bronco sector shaft. The box is much shorter. The 78-79 Bronco box is it's own deal & is the same as the F100/F150 box from 76?-79. The only ps boxes that I know with the same sector shaft is the one you have and the 60's car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No luck with the 80's Bronco sector shaft. The box is much shorter. The 78-79 Bronco box is it's own deal & is the same as the F100/F150 box from 76?-79. The only ps boxes that I know with the same sector shaft is the one you have and the 60's car.
Okay. Thank you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, out of desperation (and intense cheapness) I started calling all the other junkyards in the cities surrounding mine. I just found a box from a '79 F150!!! I'm going to grab it on Saturday. Fingers crossed that it fits correctly and I don't get thrown any additional curve balls!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, out of desperation (and intense cheapness) I started calling all the other junkyards in the cities surrounding mine. I just found a box from a '79 F150!!! I'm going to grab it on Saturday. Fingers crossed that it fits correctly and I don't get thrown any additional curve balls!
As long as it's a 4wd truck, it should be the same box. 2wd boxes are different.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
:stupid

1 - 17 of 17 Posts