Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to the local sand dunes (Sand Lake) and was monkeying around in my bronco when I got the smart idea (egged on by a very beautiful woman, I might add) to jump a dune. Well I successfully landed and drove away, but noticed the truck was handeling funny.

When I got it back to camp, I discovered that I had sheared the eyelet off of the bottom of the left front shock. Talk about suck! :banghead

Anyway, long story short... I had Rancho 9000 adjustables on there, which worked great in the sand until they got hot, so I'm thinking about replacing the whole lot with Bilstien 5100's. Or should I got with another set of the Rancho's? Any thoughts?

Also, It looks like my bump's arent low enough to hit the axle before the shock bottoms (I think thats why it broke) any ideas on how big they should be?

I've got a 6" Superlift with extended radius arms and 33" tires.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Bilstein would be a good choice.

Lift kits are designed to raise the vehicle and aren't usually intended to be used off-road. If you plan on using your truck off-road you need to cycle the suspension and make sure your bump stops are located properly and it would would be a good idea to add limit straps.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay more front end work! :doh0715:

I'm using the lift kit to gain tire - fender clearence, as 31x10.5's even aired down dont give you much of a footprint. My 33's aired down give enough to where I hardly get the truck stuck.

It's mainly used to chase around my brother-in-law on his quad or as a vehicle rescue platform. I do enjoy higher speed (40-55 mph) runs across the flats tho.

Not quite sure about the limiting straps, and goot pointers on where to put them?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Save your money and get some King reservoir shocks.Go for two new ones for the front first and then possibly two for the rear when you can afford them.They ride awesome and beat the heck out of dual ranchos.You going to be at broncofest at Sand lake.I wont have my bronco done in time but will be there with my built Raptor.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
A large diameter shock, regardless of brand) is going to create the need for custom shock mounts or a custom coil-bucket.... probably more than he's looking for. I think 2 Bilstein 5100s per front wheel would work fine for his needs. The key think to remember here is that the shock didn't break because it was a Rancho. It broke because the suspension traveled beyond its binding points.

Not quite sure about the limiting straps, and goot pointers on where to put them?
This is how mine are mounted:

You might be able to do something similar. My only concern would be the lower mount on the radius arm. It may not be up to the task.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have to agree with steve ont he bilstein 5100s I ran them and they worked very well. If you want to spend the money FOX will make you a eyelet mount in a 10" 2.0 shock. THey are a reservoir type and have worked very well for my brother and dad on their rangers. I didnt want to spend the moneya t the time and went with the 5100s. THe biggest reason I went away from them was to get more travel and get a larger shock. Bang for the buck the bilsteins will work well for you. LETS SEE PICS of the dune jump....lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, unfortunately there were no cameras involved this weekend. My brother-in-law riding next to us on his bike said the front was 4.5-5 ft in the air and the back about 2 ft. (I had a full tank of gas and lots of crap in the back)

When is broncofest? I thought it was past. If not, I'm always down... just have to get new shocks! :-D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Looks like I'm going to get my car finished up before winter, so the Bronco can go under the knife!

I'm looking at removing the current coil buckets and shock mounts, then I'm thinking some bypass shocks. Any suggestions on the coil buckets? I'm thinking of using the F-250 stock shock mounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts