Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my spider gears on a 92 bronco. what should I upgrade them to so it doesnt happen again.

92 bronco 4" lift 35" tires

thank you

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Sterling 10.25? There is no stronger set of spider gears available as long as you stick with the 8.8" rear end. If the carrier is still in good shape it sounds like a good time to drop in a lunch box locker.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as i can tell the carrier is still in good shape. What would you recommend i go with for a lunch box locker.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
The Aussie appears to be the most reliable according to what I've heard on the net.
I would have got one of those but got a deal on a Detroit E/Z Locker that I couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before i spend the cash on something, does it matter if I have an open carrier or LS carrier?

and thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Yes it does. Most of the lunch box lockers are made to fit in a open carrier. I guess there are some made for a LSD carrier though.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I broke my spider gears on a 92 bronco. what should I upgrade them to so it doesnt happen again.

92 bronco 4" lift 35" tires

thank you
Is this a Daily Driver, Combination or an Off Road Only Bronco?

By the way, my Uncle lives in Oakdale and another in Sheep Ranch. My folks have a ranch in Copperopolis, Grandma lives in Farmington and my Mom went to Escalon High School. Maybe we can wheel next time I'm down there. Been to Prarrie City ORP?
:beer

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
in my case i have an open rear, and found on jegs a full rear kit that includesthe ring, install kit and the ford traction lok. can i just slide that right into my existing housing?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this a Daily Driver, Combination or an Off Road Only Bronco?

By the way, my Uncle lives in Oakdale and another in Sheep Ranch. My folks have a ranch in Copperopolis, Grandma lives in Farmington and my Mom went to Escalon High School. Maybe we can wheel next time I'm down there. Been to Prarrie City ORP?
:beer
Combination, with 75% on road.

I just got the bronco running 2 months ago and I havent taken it out yet.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
From what I gather from folks who use them a locker isn't that bad in a daily driver...
Strength wise your best bet is a Detroit Locker.

I've not driven on mine yet.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
With that you won't gain much offroad. It will wear out fast when offroad, and when on road, a Bronco is so heavy I wonder if a LSD is even needed.

With that said you 'should' be able to just bolt that in, as long as you use the gears you have now. Just match the carrier shims that you have now, and you should be OK. But you will still want to double check your pattern and backlash.

A drop in locker on the other hand will be MUCH simpler to install, and improve offroad traction greatly

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I could I would use an Aussie locker but that requires an open carrier, and with the axle code h9 I have a LSD carrier. So from what I gather a lunchbox locker won't work or am I wrong

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I can't remember if a letter before the number =LSD or two numbers =LSD.

Either way, I 'think' you can get a lunch box to drop into the LSD carrier. Look at all the options.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From my research the lunchbox lockers just replace the spider gears. Everything else replaces the carrier and I just bolt my ring gear up and check clearances. The added work doesn't bother me I'm just lost on what is the best solution.
Option 1 replace spider gears and keep saving for 1 tons
option 2 lunchbox locker if it will drop in
option 3 either full locker or new lsd

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
If you are swapping to 1 tons soon just replace the spiders. My local pick and pull would probably charge me a couple dollars or less for them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update Well i just dropped off my carrier at a local rear end shop. There rebuilding the whole thing for $285. If your looking to repair or just rebuild the factory LSD I HIGHLY recommend ordering the kits from Broncograveyard. Ford wanted $200 for the clutch kit, Broncograveyard $64. I paid $120ish, but i didnt want to wait on shipping.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts