Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my bronco to local ford dealership for passenger radius arm bushing replacement.they called and told me i had a broken coil spring on passenger side .now i wish i would have gotten a lift??!!!! (well was hoping to keep stock)
anyway anyone heard of this??
i was thinkin that because of the movement because of the bad bushing that broke my spring

also can i put a larger than stock spring in there without a lift?
:wtf

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
TileitII said:
took my bronco to local ford dealership for passenger radius arm bushing replacement.they called and told me i had a broken coil spring on passenger side .now i wish i would have gotten a lift??!!!! (well was hoping to keep stock)
anyway anyone heard of this??
i was thinkin that because of the movement because of the bad bushing that broke my spring

also can i put a larger than stock spring in there without a lift?
:wtf
Can't put a larger than stock spring in there without a lift, your truck would look funny, the front would be higher than the back for one, and you would also need different shocks. As for the bad bushing being responsible for a broken coil spring, I've never heard of it doing it. I beat the piss out of my springs and never had one break on me. Ask them to show it to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont worry i will. i have heard some banging under the passenger floor ,just thinking it was the radius bushing.so they recommende doing both so she wont be cattywompass.
they said 150.00 labor for both,,not sure about part cost yet ,,ill let ya know

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if only i had time and the tools id do it
I own a tile showroom 56 hours a week ford called back 90 bucks a spring ,and i told them i want it.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
you can fit a bigger spring in there, and it doesn't look funny.

I put 1-ton springs on my 95 with no problems - SEVERAL thousand miles later, still there, no problems.

If you want a new stock coil, let me know...you pay shipping I'll send you my old ones.

:beer
Bill

·
Banned
18,967 Posts
I've had a coil spring break, too. It cracked as I was driving at the second loop from the top, so the front only sagged a couple of inches on the R side. I drove around for a couple of days (at least 150mi) before I bought another one, brought it home, and had time to swap it in. The broken one was a replacement for the stockers and came from an F-250. The other one from that pair is still under my truck and so is the one I got to replace the broken coil. It happens, just not often. Like drummers spontaneously combusting on stage. ;) (e.g., Eric "Stumpy Joe" Childs and Mick Shrimpton! :p)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
steve,was it hard to replace the coils??
also at superlift i see 2in,4in,6in coils but these look like springs for there lifts ,would the 2in work as a leveler .Im game to try to replace them because ford wants over 350.00 for the whole job both sides.
Basically if i could get the sag outta the front id be real happy and if i have to do it myself im game.

·
Banned
18,967 Posts
No, just pull the nut(s) at the top(s) of the shock(s) and jack the frame until the tire comes off the ground. Pull the tire, the one bolt for the top clip, and the big nut at the bottom of the spring. Push the axle down to stretch out the suspension, and the spring pulls out easily.

I'd go shopping in the junkyards and get a pair of coils from a truck whose FGAWR is a couple hundred pounds higher than what's on your door sticker - that evened mine out, and it only cost ~$50.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
Yea the coils are not hard to get my hardest part was searching the garage for the wench that fit the bottom retaining nut. At most one afternoon having no experience with it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
no on mine. the brackets and riveted to the frame. the newer ones are bolted in. so they tell you to tear down the whole front suspension. which i have done and it takes along time. so i had to drill the rivets out. then beat them out pry the bracket off drill the holes out to fit the next size grade 8 bolt in there and then bolt it back to gether.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
gobucs1 said:
Yea the coils are not hard to get my hardest part was searching the garage for the wench that fit the bottom retaining nut. At most one afternoon having no experience with it.
The bottom nut is a 1 1/8'' nut. You can either use a breaker bar and turn it about a 1/2 turn and reposition, Or build the king of all extensions and feed it through the top hole in the shock tower.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've done both radius arm bushing replacement and upgraded the springs. The bushings were a pain as one bracket was bolted on and one riveted. :banghead I also did the drill out/cutoff/hammer out operation in replacing the bushings. The springs I used were the 2" Superlift variety. I did this to "level" the Bronco's stance and not be so nose heavy. This seriously through the alignement out (luckily I bought superlifts camber bushings along with the coils). Once aligned everthing works fine however I wonder if the angles that the coils put on the TTB (no drop brackets) will bite me in the ass later. Should have went 4"..........(still will). :rockon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts