Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock 8.8" rear axle is equipped with the factory limited slip differential (axle code H9) but I recently discovered that it is broken when I needed to backup in some snow.

I have no idea how long it has been broken and I haven't noticed any other problems with my rear differential. I'm broke and plan on leaving it be. Is there a chance of more serious damage to my differential if I don't have it checked out?

·
Registered
255 Posts
'Broken' in this case probably means it is worn out. Not uncommon with some miles on it. It won't hurt anything to leave it if that's the case.

Adam

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was hoping, and it makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
what would one have to do to fix this problem? are they worth rebuilding? i know they use clutch packs and have heard of people putting an extra one in to tighten it up and make it work better, does anyone have experience with this? does it work well? sorry for the long list

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing as Will. I've seen parts for them on JBG, and if it only takes a $40 clutch, then maybe it would be worth fixing.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing as Will. I've seen parts for them on JBG, and if it only takes a $40 clutch, then maybe it would be worth fixing.
Was that a rebuild kit? or just a set of clutches?

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you didn't want to rebuild it, I've got one laying around that I bought when I split the carrier housing (around 1g miles on it, out of an exploder). I threw in an open carrier for the time being, never put the LS in before my motor pooped out. I've got a 10.25 to put in it now, so I no longer need the 8.8 LS.:beer

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
who sells rebuild kits for these things besides ford? i tried searching for the 10.25 but couldnt find anything. i think i just suck at the internet

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I have 190k on my 8.8's LS, it still works. It probably doesn't work as perfect as when it was new, but it still works and I can feel it kick in when I let off the gas and the tires start spinning. Then when I get back on the gas I can feel power transfering back and forth to the tires as I get more traction.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I have 190k on my 8.8's LS, it still works. It probably doesn't work as perfect as when it was new, but it still works and I can feel it kick in when I let off the gas and the tires start spinning. Then when I get back on the gas I can feel power transfering back and forth to the tires as I get more traction.

Most of the time these babies are more slip than limit after about 40k, sorry bro.:banghead

I did a new clutch pack in my old 8.8 back in '97 and it surely helps, and for the price is decent to refresh, but factory LSD's suck anyway because the carriers are SO weak with all the metal removed to acomodate the clutches. They just are very suspect when you start getting up to larger sized tires.

·
Registered
204 Posts
how do i know if my truck has a L/S rear? i think it does, it seems like it has one especially in the snow, but is there a way to check like on the spec sticker in the door opening or whatever?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Weld it up.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
IMO dont waste your time or money on rebuilding a trac-loc. You can just leave the worn out one in there and it will act as a open carrier. Then later put that money towards a Locker or a Good L/S.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
how do i know if my truck has a L/S rear? i think it does, it seems like it has one especially in the snow, but is there a way to check like on the spec sticker in the door opening or whatever?
I think the code for a limited slip is the number "2" after two other numbers for the axle code. So I guess if you have 3 numbers, and the last number is a 2, then you *should* have a limited slip rear.

KC

·
Registered
23 Posts
H9 is a limited slip and there are 2 other ones that are H? with a number where the question mark is that are also limited slip, the standard axle is 29, 39, just numbers from what i seen on a axle code posting i will try and look it up again, jb

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
IMO dont waste your time or money on rebuilding a trac-loc. You can just leave the worn out one in there and it will act as a open carrier. Then later put that money towards a Locker or a Good L/S.
i dont have the money for a detroit yet, and i figured i'd rebuild one and put it in my sterling when i do the 4.88's. then save up for a detroit. i dunno, maybe i'll just wait and do it all at once. but i betcha 3.55's and 37s is gonna sucks with a 6 cyl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts