Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just searched the old threads and couldn't find out if anyone has ever found a snazzy method of repairing/altering/modifying these things. Outside of buying a whole new cable that is. The only thing that came to mind was some very thin walled brass tubing that could be slipped over the black plastic casing but still be thin enough to go inside of the orange female section. The drawback on that plan would be getting the tubing over the black cable in one piece without tweaking the crap out of it. Mine is broken just back far enought to snag on the smaller cable when you hit the pedal. Very un-good.

Anyone? Bueller?............

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not worth the time / trouble to fix
You're probably right---though my friend thought that some thicker-than-normal McD's or 7-11 drinking straws may work as temps. Really just needs to guide the orange over the black. With some proper lube and care i could actually picture them lasting more than 17 minutes.

More hmmmm's.........

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Don't mess with such a safety sensitive part.

My throttle cable was broken, same as yours, and I could feel it it stick occasionally. Also, I could observe my new BBK Twin Throttle Body not fully opening, possibly due to throttle cable stretching over 18 years. I lubed the plastic cable casing and tried the zip tie mod to increase length. I then decided that this was an unacceptable temporary mod and I replaced it with a new throttle cable from Ford and all is well now.

Some things are cool mods, and some things are safety for you and your passengers. My risk assessment clearly said "a new throttle cable"...

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't mess with such a safety sensitive part.

My throttle cable was broken, same as yours, and I could feel it it stick occasionally. Also, I could observe my new BBK Twin Throttle Body not opening fully, possibly due to throttle cable stretching over 18 years. I lubed the plastic cable casing and tried the zip tie mod to increase length. I then decided that this was an unacceptable temporary mod and I replaced it with a new cable from Ford and all is well now.

Some things are cool mods, and some things are safety for you and your pasengers.
Sold. Thanx. Will Ford-it tomorrow and write the check........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts