Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Bronco came with a broken steering column. It’s supposed to be a tilt (yes it does tilt just fine ty) but the steering wheel tilts up and to the left and occasionally down and to the right. Since I am doing a MT swap as well, I figure this annoyance should be dealt with now. So while I have the steering column out, what should I be looking at to repair? I wanted to take the easy way out and just swap columns but the local yard doesn’t have any at the moment.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I can give you some advice if the wheel won’t hold a position under even a light load. My tilt pawl was cocked due to the pin disengaging the column on one side. I’m not sure I follow your symptoms. Is it falling out of position or does it just not move up and down in the same vertical plane as the column axis?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can give you some advice if the wheel won’t hold a position under even a light load. My tilt pawl was cocked due to the pin disengaging the column on one side. I’m not sure I follow your symptoms. Is it falling out of position or does it just not move up and down in the same vertical plane as the column axis?
The tilt function itself is fine... when locked into position, ie not holding the lever, the steering wheel will axis left and up on a right hand turn, and down and right on a right hand turn... but the tilt position stays the same... it’s not the tilt pawl. I’ve dug in that deep... it feels like what ever is supposed to hold the lower knuckle in place is broken or worn out... more broken feeling than worn though.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures to show what I am meaning

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
All I can think is either the column is loose at the strap on its underside or that one or both column bearing ms are shot. I’d you were in to the pawl then you should have seen the upper bearing.

Sorry I can’t be of more help but will review the pics you post.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I can think is either the column is loose at the strap on its underside or that one or both column bearing ms are shot. I’d you were in to the pawl then you should have seen the upper bearing.

Sorry I can’t be of more help but will review the pics you post.
Sorry I never got around to posting pictures... I figured out the problem when I removed the steering column from the Bronco. The three little screws that hold the wedges in place we’re loose... I tried tightening them up, only to find the holes stripped out. I drilled out the holes and helicoiled them for now. But I’m going to be replacing the whole steering column in the near future.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,355 Posts
I have that column still that i pulled for you if interested.

Reactions: slimpartywagon

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,355 Posts
Lemme know. Its just chillin on the shelves of JY parts. Key cylinder is already out

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the two piece housing is probably cracked where the actuator slides in. Pull the wheel and turn signal assembly off and look. upper sides are replaceable without swapping the column. Not sure on the lower as I never torn down one past that.

Nope not cracked, re-read my last post... the three screws that clamp the housing to the tube were stripped out... heli-coil and blue locktight fixed it... but... I’m putting in a ZF-5, so the steering column is getting swapped out soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts