Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, if I put the key in thei ignition all the interior lights do light up.
When initially turned you can hear the pump prime.
When I turn the key to start it absolutely nothing happens.
If I take a screwdriver to the posts of the solenoid it does start.
Any ideas (starter?)?
Thanks!

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
x2

check to see if your gettin power to the little wire on your soleniod when you turn the key, possibly have someone turn the key while you test with a test light or dvom, if your gettin power then its your soleniod if not then its your ignition switch:thumbup

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. That shall give me something to do this weekend (hopefully).

·
Registered
204 Posts
could be the soleniod it self... i thnk your pretty much bypassing the soleniod when you jump the two posts. could be anything stopping ign power from getting to the low amp side of the starter soleniod and letting the soleniod do its job,

test to see if while you are cranking(or trying to) you are getting power to the ign stud of the soleniod, if so you got a bad soleniod, if not something else, neutral saftey switch or wiring or ign switch is stopping power from gettin there..

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,802 Posts
Are you applying 12v to the small terminal on the solenoid? If that makes it crank, then the solenoid is ok, & you're on the right track looking to the key switch circuit (Including the park/neutral safety switch).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you applying 12v to the small terminal on the solenoid? If that makes it crank, then the solenoid is ok, & you're on the right track looking to the key switch circuit (Including the park/neutral safety switch).
I am not sure if this answers what you are asking, but when I mentioned that I was able to start it with a screwdriver, all I am doing is puttin the key in ignition and turning the key/ignition and they going to the starter solenoid under the hood on the passenger side and touching both posts on the solenoid with the scredriver at the same time, and it cranks up.

Maybe I am misreading your question...

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
I just went thru this myself when I put in a new 302 motor over the last several weeks, check for voltage on the (S) starter side of the relay, mine wasn't conducting any voltage so when I turned the key nothing happened, I had it tested, the Bosch I had in there first for about 2 years the brass stud just broke off when I was swapping parts to figure out what was going on etc. ...... ? so I had an almost new spare one in the drawer and it worked for a couple of days and it took a dump the one I tested so 3 relays later..........................:banghead

Let me ask you this, when you turn the key over to start how far over towards the dash let's say does it travel before it, A. actaully starts B. nothing happens C. is it getting harder & farther to turn when you go to start.............? :scratchhe
If you have these signs then you're ignition actuator inside the steering wheel could be on the verge of going but you'll know for sure if it does, trust me. :shocked
Check your ignition switch on the column as well if the other suggestions don't turn up anything. :doh0715:

Though I agree with everyone that the starter relays are usually the weakest link first.......

Good Luck, let us know what you find out ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went thru this myself when I put in a new 302 motor over the last several weeks, check for voltage on the (S) starter side of the relay, mine wasn't conducting any voltage so when I turned the key nothing happened, I had it tested, the Bosch I had in there first for about 2 years the brass stud just broke off when I was swapping parts to figure out what was going on etc. ...... ? so I had an almost new spare one in the drawer and it worked for a couple of days and it took a dump the one I tested so 3 relays later..........................:banghead

Let me ask you this, when you turn the key over to start how far over towards the dash let's say does it travel before it, A. actaully starts B. nothing happens C. is it getting harder & farther to turn when you go to start.............? :scratchhe
If you have these signs then you're ignition actuator inside the steering wheel could be on the verge of going but you'll know for sure if it does, trust me. :shocked
Check your ignition switch on the column as well if the other suggestions don't turn up anything. :doh0715:

Though I agree with everyone that the starter relays are usually the weakest link first.......

Good Luck, let us know what you find out ~ :thumbup
When I put the key in and turn it, it feels just the same as if it were going to start like it used to. I do not notice any difference with the big exception of there being no rumbling of the engine starting up.

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
This is important. Don't use the two "big" terminals on the starter relay when you are jumping it. Instead use the Battery (+) terminal and the SMALL (trigger) wire's post (up top). That will actually activate the relay instead of bypassing it that way you can tell if it works. use a small piece of wire. Don't touch the starter's lug (the other big lug)

You need to also check that small wire that you just removed from the starter solenoid. Thats your solenoid trigger (its what activates the starter solenoid) Get a friend to turn the key to start for you while probing that connector. If your test light doesn't light up then its the N.safety switch or the ignition switch.

Did you try my suggestion and wiggle the shifter when you were trying to start it? Hold the key in the start position and wiggle the shifter. Also turn the key on, set your P.brake and put the truck in reverse. Do the rev. lights come on? Thats part of the N. safety switch too... (Obviously remember to put that small trigger wire back on before you do this test)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is important. Don't use the two "big" terminals on the starter relay when you are jumping it. Instead use the Battery (+) terminal and the SMALL (trigger) wire's post (up top). That will actually activate the relay instead of bypassing it that way you can tell if it works. use a small piece of wire. Don't touch the starter's lug (the other big lug)

You need to also check that small wire that you just removed from the starter solenoid. Thats your solenoid trigger (its what activates the starter solenoid) Get a friend to turn the key to start for you while probing that connector. If your test light doesn't light up then its the N.safety switch or the ignition switch.

Did you try my suggestion and wiggle the shifter when you were trying to start it? Hold the key in the start position and wiggle the shifter. Also turn the key on, set your P.brake and put the truck in reverse. Do the rev. lights come on? Thats part of the N. safety switch too... (Obviously remember to put that small trigger wire back on before you do this test)

THanks for the suggestions, I am going to try to take a look at it today.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,802 Posts
Are you applying 12v to the small terminal on the solenoid?
I am not sure if this answers what you are asking, but when I mentioned that I was able to start it with a screwdriver, all I am doing is puttin the key in ignition and turning the key/ignition and they going to the starter solenoid under the hood on the passenger side and touching both posts on the solenoid with the scredriver at the same time, and it cranks up.

Maybe I am misreading your question...
That's what i was trying to ask. If you test it as Rescue describes, it'll tell you a lot about what's going on.

You'll jump between the large terminal with the + cable directly from the battery & the small terminal in the top of this pic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
could be this simple

You could try checking the positive terminal on the battery. Had a similar problem on my 86 and swapped the solenoid and fiddled with the starter until i realised the battery terminal cable was loose. tightened that sucker up and all was ok

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having a similar problem with my 351 95. Turn ignition and only get a "click", fuel pump and everything else working as it should.
I replaced the Battery and terminal connectors. I also chased down the positive(red) cable to the starter mounted solenoid at the starter motor. and chased the wiring from the battery to the fender mounted solenoid. I found some pretty corroded cables and replace or cleaned them up. I intend to go pick up the relay/solenoid today. but I am wondering if I am missing a ground cable or something that may be corroded and causing the problem (the underside of my bronco is pretty tore up and rusty/corroded. and if so where would should I start looking for the ground connection?

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
Having a similar problem with my 351 95. Turn ignition and only get a "click", fuel pump and everything else working as it should.
I replaced the Battery and terminal connectors. I also chased down the positive(red) cable to the starter mounted solenoid at the starter motor. and chased the wiring from the battery to the fender mounted solenoid. I found some pretty corroded cables and replace or cleaned them up. I intend to go pick up the relay/solenoid today. but I am wondering if I am missing a ground cable or something that may be corroded and causing the problem (the underside of my bronco is pretty tore up and rusty/corroded. and if so where would should I start looking for the ground connection?
the ground for the fender mounted sol is to the left of it on the fender, should go from the ground cable to the fender, it sounds to me like you either got a bad ground or the fender mounted sol is bad, try runin a separet ground to the sol(it originally grounds through the fender) and see if it starts if not then spend the $10 to get a new one.......dont go to autozone there replacment sucks

the only two grounds comin from the batt is the fender ground and the main ground on the pass side of the engine block, :thumbup good luck

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
You guys gotta remember it's not even a true starter solenoid, it's a relay. The solenoid is on the starter.

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
You guys gotta remember it's not even a true starter solenoid, it's a relay. The solenoid is on the starter.
yes yes we know....its just a habbit b/c it is part of the starting system but you are right it is a starting relay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.