Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

BroncMoMs '82 Resto...

54K views 481 replies 52 participants last post by  Native_Viking 
#1 · (Edited)
So... I have no idea how to write this thread so, I'm just going to tell you the story that led me into my rig and our road back to 'showroom ready' ...well maybe not showroom but at least cruise in proud :thumbup

Well, a little about me, I've never been your average girl... I like bad a$$ classic trucks, muscle cars, and getting dirty. A Tom boy thru & thru, I've always been 'just one of the guys'. I'm happily married 19 years this October to a great guy. A Marine corps wife and mother who is a proud Patriot with a love for all things that scream 'America'.

My grandmother's 67 Camaro is what originally got me into cars, but it was my first real boyfriend when I was 16 that got me really into cars. It was there I cut my teeth helping him restore a 79 Camaro. It was my second boyfriend that got me into trucks with his 1980 GMC Jimmy. After that, and with my love of horses at the time, a Bronco was my must get dream car..

Fast forward over a decade and I finally got my first Bronco, a 1989 black bricknose. It was love at first site. We took that rig EVERYWHERE and she never let us down. Well 6 years of Northwest Pa winters and less then stellar maintenance took their toll and I had to say goodbye to my rig :frown2:
After that it was a series of cars that were more of a need then a want with the promise of one day getting another Bronco. So started the obsession. Always looking, dreaming till one day about a dozen years later, a random dog bite finally gave hubby the opportunity to make good on that promise. So the hunt began.

Originally, it was to be a second gen, 78-79... Then I got to thinking, while they're beautiful I liked more of the modern conveniences that came with the 3rd gen. Cruise, power windows/locks, & auto locking hubs (that was a big one). I knew I wanted something that's spent most of its life in the South, far away from salted roads. I knew since it was going to be buying site unseen (for the most part) that it had to be at a dealer (provides more recourse if u get a bum deal that's not what they promised), it had to be in relatively good shape (pass pa inspection), it had to be carb'd (no EFI), and I knew it had to be under $15k shipped. After a solid year of looking I find my rig :thumbup at a dealer down in Texas, auto history has it spending most of its life in Arkansas and a few years in Texas. Check 1 box, it's at a dealer, check 2 boxes, in the pictures it looks really clean, no real rust, the underside had just been completely redone, the video of it running showed a couple issues, but nothing that screamed it was dying. The interior was dirty and worn, but the seats weren't torn so it was a good starting point and it was under budget listed at $12,999 (but that was way over priced imo). All the check boxes were checked so we put it on our watch list and waited for things to finalize with the dog bite settlement (what a nightmare).

It took another 3 months to settle, in which every day I was worried she'd sell. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was overpriced. Finally the settlement comes thru and they had dropped the price of the 82 under $10k so we pulled the trigger. We bought her thru the dealership's eBay listing so we had more buyer security from eBay and PayPal. Made arrangements with a different shipper a friend in Oklahoma had used regularly (he & his son like to buy race cars) saving me over $2k from what the dealer was going to charge me for open shipping. The guy we used, Montway, was closed shipping so no worries with theft or damage in the 2 day drive from Texas to Northwest PA... Within 2 weeks she'd be here! Arrival date was November 19th, 2018 :thumbup

See less See more
#2 ·
This was the dealer's listing https://www.classiccarliquidators.com/vehicles/2626/1982-ford-bronco

She was the perfect candidate for me to build my vision... Purple and Wimbledon white 2 tone with an off-white interior to pay homage to the first gen's classic styling.

And a few of the pix they had. U can see them all on the web page.

Attachments

#19 ·
#3 · (Edited)
She's Here! My 82s unboxing video :thumbup
My '82s 'Unboxing' video

So her arrival was marred with disappointment. She had issues the dealer didn't reveal and that didn't jive with the inspection report we got :madder as u can see she had a wicked fast idle, the back up lights weren't working, one of her high beams was out, and several other things that just made me want to cry. We knew she'd need some updating but we were mislead by the dealer :madder: there's no way she'd pass inspection, so she sat in the driveway for 2 weeks before she went off to the mechanic for an overhaul. On an up note she was completely original except for the rims. She came with a nice set of black Mickey Thompsons :thumbup

Attachments

#5 ·
So... Having no idea how long she'd be at the mechanic I started to put my build together in my head... What colors would we paint her? Would I stay with my original vision of purple & white? Would something else look better with the light tan interior, so I started playing with colors. I found this cool painting app that you could upload a picture and modify. Similar to Photoshop but a fraction of the size. I don't have a pc so i do everything on mobile. Her original colors according to her certification label were medium fawn metallic with light fawn 2 tone. Apparently someone else along her life decided to do the Earl Sheib paint job she has now.

Here were some of the original color ideas I tried.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
All i knew for sure was she had to be 2 tone, the "hey OJ" comments got real old real fast... And i knew the pattern I wanted it to be, something Ford offered on the bronco befor my generation, but with a slight twist from the 1st gen color palette... The roof was going to stay white with the color band between the roof and the cargo lid... After a month of looking at colors I was able to narrow it down to these. The picture of my rig with the 79 is to show the 2 tone pattern, but I think the hood will be solid instead of color blocked 🤷

Attachments

#7 ·
So the mechanic calls to discuss the myriad of issues he's found and to find out what Id like... At that point all I really knew that I wanted was the Edelbrock carb to eventually be built into an entire Edelbrock top end... I wanted my engine bay to look like this

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
22 short weeks later and now she does look like that :thumbup and runs a whole lot better. Now I'm probably going to get some of this wrong because I can't find the receipt for the work at the moment (*update -found it. Attached in pix) so I'm going off memory of how it was explained to me...
Replaced the original factory 2bbl carb with an Edelbrock 4bbl (1406 I believe), new Edelbrock air cleaner, removed the EECIII ignition control module and replaced with a GM HEI universal ignition system and new distributor cap. Timing was checked and set, removed the heads to check the gaskets because of vacuum leaks and found that the gaskets were upside down and on the wrong sides, 90% of the vacuum lines and connectors were replaced, new starter solenoid, check and adjust the steering gear box, replace the smog pump and belts, replace the steering wheel pad, replace the horn (twice, because the first one he ordered sounded like it was for a yugo), replace the neutral safety switch (lemme tell u how fun it was to find that. We got 1 of the last 3 in the country), replace back up lights, replace dash lights, re attach the steering gear shift indicator hardware, run everything for the cruise control to make sure all components were there and find the bracket to properly hold it all (still need to finish connecting that after we find a cruise control diaphragm), change all fluids, re attach some linkage that went to the transmission (forget what he called it), and a couple other things that are just evading me right now. I'll have to update this later after I find the receipt. She came home and the engine compartment looked a bit of a mess. We had him on a deadline to try and get the truck back before my son was relocated to camp Pendleton in San Diego the end of may 2019. He was 3 days late :madder: #1 son still hasn't seen my rig :frown2:
One of the first things we did when she came home to complete the look I wanted was to get the Edelbrock valve cover breather. A couple weeks after that she went back to the mechanics to have the engine bay cleaned up, everything wire loomed, wrapped, tucked, unnecessary wires and vacuum hoses either removed or tucked away... And the engine sprayed down with a cleaner... Now she looked happy :thumbup
Text Document Paper Font Paper product

Attachments

#450 ·
Replaced the original factory 2bbl carb with an Edelbrock 4bbl (1406 I believe), new Edelbrock air cleaner, removed the EECIII ignition control module and replaced with a GM HEI universal ignition system and new distributor cap.

View attachment 149821
what all was needed to get rid of the EEC III? And did you have to replace the intake manifold for the Edelbrock?

#9 ·
The next project was the sound system... She had all original radio and stock speakers that were just tired, so I got a great deal on a Rockville stereo with Bluetooth, aux jack, SD card reader, remote, the whole 9 yards... And a set of pioneer speakers for the doors. :thumbup
It didn't help.. u couldn't play the stereo over 20 without it getting all crackly despite the radio having a built in amp. Oh well, we'll get back to this later... :madder

Attachments

#10 ·
So while hubby had the door panels and the bezels off inside working on the radio and some stuff in the dash (trying to find the tach wire and having to re fix the gear shift indicator) I decided to take the opportunity to sand down the door panels and touch up the silver striping on the dash and center console bezels.

Attachments

#11 ·
Then it was time to do something about that hideous tailgate plate. Covered in old cracked black pinstripe tape, and some really bad beat to death reflective strip along the bottom of it...

Attachments

#14 ·
The next things on the list was installing the 'shelf it' storage shelf and tailgate led light strip (since there's no third brake light) that I got for Christmas. Since my sun visors looked like crap with rips and warped, I soaked them overnight in water, then for the next 3 days while they dried I kept them under heavy books and a toolbox to flatten them out, then wrapped them in tan colored duct tape that almost matched my interior color until I could get new ones.

As long as we were at it I had hubby pull the black plastic flashing that's between the bottom of the tailgate and the bumper so I could repaint it before he installed the LED strip light. Only hiccup with the LED lights, despite a new wire harness for the trailer lights (what it plugs in to) the strip doesn't work if I have my headlights on (thinking maybe a weak ground, but not tested yet)... Still have to figure that one out... Taking suggestions :thumbup

Attachments

#17 ·
Hey @MS88Bronc Thanks :thumbup it was a great starting point despite the non disclosures. Even with the disappointment of how badly she ran it was all fixable. Just some sooner then we had intended. Overall I'd do it again. With the shape the body, under carriage and interior for a 35+ year old rig, it really coulda been a lot worse.

#20 ·
Isn't that the truth @SRWillis . All things told we got pretty lucky. Living in the rust belt sucks. Just as bad as the Jersey shore and all that salt air was horrible to my granmas 67 Camaro. Just the few short years it was there (under 5 years) it got eaten alive :madder: that was supposed to my car :frown2:
... And thanks for the compliment... I'm really trying to bring her back to beautiful... Altho I'm probably getting ahead of myself doing the interior before all the mechanical stuff is done, but... As long as I have the weather, and building the funds for the next big mechanical endeavor, spray paint and time are cheap... Plus hubby's 3rd shift schedule only allows for weekends for him to get into things and with my business, most of my classes are weekends :frown2: ... But we'll get her there. 4-5 years till the move to Alaska. Hoping to have it all done before we go.

#21 ·
Next project... Can't flip up my back seat :frown2: something with the locking mechanism (one of the springs must be off) won't let the clamp release. Time to tear it apart, clean it up and figure it out... As long as it's apart, let's PAINT it :thumbup

Attachments

#22 ·
As long as I'm at it, why not pull those nasty kick panels, B pillar panels, seat belt covers, sill plates, rear ashtrays, and rear speaker covers... Everything got sanded, degreased, treated with naval jelly to remove rust, and and blasted the ashtrays in prep to repaint them. I'm using krylon colormaster paint+primer covermax in satin almond for the panels, rustoleum hammered dark grey for the sill plates, and rustoleum home accents 2X paint+primer ultra cover in nutmeg for the rear ashtrays and speaker covers (not sure I like it). Tried the covers first in the hammered grey, didn't like how it looked in the cargo panel. Tried ashtrays in the almond and wasn't sure I like the matchy match with the cargo panel. Now they're both nutmeg and i think it's too dark :madder we'll have to see how it looks with the cargo panels installed. Subject to change... Again...

Attachments

#444 ·
As long as I'm at it, why not pull those nasty kick panels, B pillar panels, seat belt covers, sill plates, rear ashtrays, and rear speaker covers... Everything got sanded, degreased, treated with naval jelly to remove rust, and and blasted the ashtrays in prep to repaint them. I'm using krylon colormaster paint+primer covermax ... rustoleum home accents 2X paint+primer ultra cover ...
Hey @BroncMom, I'm thinking of doing some interior paint as well. Trying to match the stock colors, or at least get close. My door panels are sun-dried out on the top and it looks like some of the texture has deep scratches in it. In the attached pic, you can see it looks like someone tried painting with a different red at one point. Kick panels are also scuffed and faded. I had a few questions for you:
1. When you sanded the plastic, did it remove the texture? Did you just leave the plastic smooth for painting?
2. How did you prep the plastic for painting? Just clean and degreaser? Or did you use one of the "plastic adhesion" spray products?
3. How did you like the different paints, as far as durability and coverage, so far? I'm thinking of trying Rustoleum 2X Ultra. Also have a can of SEM Marine Vinyl Coat that looks like a close match that I want to try. Did you go with gloss or satin or?
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

#23 ·
Cont...

Attachments

#24 ·
Time to pull and prep cargo panels :thumbup ... Boy has this one been kicking my butt... Between bad paint, overly interested bugs, weather delays and defective paint replacement by krylon these 2 panels have taken longer to get done then all the other panels and hardware combined to this point. :banghead :whiteflag

To prep these big bad boys for paint, our process was wash with degreasing cleaner, rinse & wash with blue dawn (grease removing formula), take outside and wet sand with 220 grit paper, go over with acetone, spray with 5 coats of the satin almond and top with 2 coats of satin clear coat. These pictures are of right after they were pulled (top pix in collage) and after they've been prepped and sanded (bottom pix in collage). The color difference was because of the change of the daylight outside from start to finish of prep. Last pic has a couple coats started on it. Finished pictures coming soon as it's still a work in progress.

Attachments

#25 ·
What do u do when waiting for paint to be replaced? U paint the tire rack, pull the back seat and tear it apart for shampooing and painting of seat hardware.. all the hardware and accent metal (tire rack, tailgate trim etc) are being painted with rustoleum 2X gloss dark grey. 4-5 coats then 2 coats of gloss clear.

Attachments

#26 ·
Shampooing 35+ years of Arkansas out of the back seat was... Interesting to say the least... Yuck!

With all the parts in the house we have now taken over my dining room, my office, and half my kitchen counter with Bits O Bronco :whiteflag

Attachments

#28 ·
So, if you're still following to this point, u might be wondering, where is she painting all this?... Well, just another part of my life taken over with bits O bronco is my greenhouse. For about $60 in wood and some industrial rolled trash bags we were able to turn an unused swing set into a decent 8x8 greenhouse/paint booth. :thumbup

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
Looks great! Don't worry about focusing a little more on the cosmetics now; sometimes that is the motivation we need to do those other things that you just can't see.

Rust-free is awesome! Having a truck with good bones makes everything so much easier. Looking forward to seeing the final results.
Hey @Ghosteh thanks :thumbsup I totally agree with the motivation point. I've been blessed with a run of new clients this past couple weeks so I've been able to squirrel almost a grand away for my next big mechanical project that'll likely take her away for a couple days... Rotors, pads, shocks, check& adjust rear drums (if needed replace), camber bushings (and any others that need replaced), and alignment. Check all tie rod ends, ball joints, and all that fun stuff, again, while it's up for the alignment.

Top it off with ordering and installing my monstaliner for the cargo area, (probably the last interior project till spring when we do new carpet) and all the parts for the jobs we're doing. I've kinda been putting the alignment work to the side a lil so I can use the last of this good weather finish painting panels, but winter is coming (my first winter driving her) and she needs to be ready.

Since winter is my slow season, I'm hoping to get the Edelbrock air intake done. Just another small piece of my Edelbrock top end fantasy :grin2: