Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '91 Bronco 2 is losing power uphill I replaced the transmission, fuel filter,Fuel pressure regulator, air filters and I'm getting the fuel pump replaced currently. The vacuum is good as well and it has good compression. It drives great no issues with idle or getting up speed until it hits a hill other than the fuel pump what else could cause this issue. :cry: Help me poor guy has been a heartbreak.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
This forum is specifically for fullsize Broncos, not much tech here related to a Bronco II. You will probably have better luck at therangerstation.com.

Possible the catalytic converter is getting plugged up, had that happen on my 87 B2.
Have you checked the spark plugs and ignition timing?

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently had this problem on my F150 and it turned out to be a bad injector.
While idling unplug each injector briefly (no more than a second or two) one at a time and see if the idle changes (it should). If you find one where the idle doesn't change when you unplug it then you found your culprit.

·
Super Moderator
29,131 Posts
Yo Deergawd,
Welcome to our Big Bronco site!
As Nick advised, register at Ford Bronco II

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

"Electronic Engine Control (EEC IV) system stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory & verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly."

This is the underhood diagnostic harness and connector used to access the EEC diagnostic mode; located near the fuel pump relay such as in the 2.9, V6, etc ;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test Electronic Engine Control (EEC) greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual and; release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO and KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.
BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS⚠
Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Good fortune D!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts