Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the Bronco, and had my heart set on finding a 78/79 Bronco here in Aus to rebuild for on and offroad. I've had experience rebuilding older Ford cars, but no trucks, and had some questions.

1. Are 78/79 Bronco's - in good nic with no rust - affordable over there, and can anyone suggest somewhere online I could get some more info about buying and importing to Aus (or a seller willing to export)?

2. Secondly, should I be looking at another year model Bronco - does the 78/79 have anything substantially wrong with it?

I can get my hands on late 80's models here in Aus, but nothing before about '85.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The Broncos themselves are pretty cheap, but you will have a tough time finding a great one not being able to look at them in person. I would expect to find a truly stellar one for less than $10,000 US, and there are plenty of good ones for about $5,000 US (or less if you are lucky). I would hire an import agency to do it for you if you really want a clean one. There are several companies bringing Asian 4x4's into Canada right now, and you can probably get them to bring one back just as easy. I have seen a lot of really solid 70's models in Alberta pretty cheap (i.e. <$7,000 CAD).

There are actually a couple of spectacular 70's models for sale linked in the sellers section of this site right now. Poke around in there before you go.

E-bay is a good spot to start too.

Have you looked into the shipping and licensing costs yet?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I think the best thing to do is surf the forums and make yourself known and make a few friends. These friends can at least help in looking at a bronco for ya if they live close enough.

The 78/79 broncos are said to be the best by some because of the chassis with the front solid axle but other say the later models are better for comfort. I like the 78/79 models myself.

I have a friend that deals with a guy in aussie. My buddy ships parts over to him to save on the import taxs. My buddy was looking at buying an aussie falcon and this guy was looking for one for him. My buddy since bought a 70 Mach 1 from CA. It was going to cost a pretty penny for him to have a car shipped over here to the states.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
Well what ever year you buy stay away from the 1980 model. You can get the 81 through 86 that is the same style but the frames are much stronger...

I myself love the 78/79 specailly for offroad but as a driver my 88 is much more comfertable....

I would also look here for a 78/79 some of these guys have build some nice Bronco's...

http://www.broncotech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Like this one for $5000 US and a parts truck.... Might could talk him down sense you probably wouldn't get the parts truck....

http://www.broncotech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/11/t/000958.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got mine for $1650, it needed about $500-600 worth of work. It didn't have much rust (one small hole in the tailgate), and runs great. I think the shipping would cost you more than the Bronco itself. I would look for a later model that is already in austrailia, and build that up with the money you would have spent on shipping.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
buy a arizoina or cali bronco, those will typically be the lease amount of rust on them

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go 78-79 bronco!
The ride isnt that bad, there strong as hell and fun to drive. just keep it as low as you can and cut the fenders to fit bigger tires. if you keep it low you can go anywhere with out even comming close to filping. And they take courners on the road real good If there low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts