Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

In order to register my 78 Bronco in CA which I recently purchased from Idaho, I have to pass the Smog. But I am a little confused as to what needs to go in there. If I am correct, the 78's supposedly didn't have any emission equipment, only California models had it and this one is a Washington Bronco made in Michigan.

The previous owner had done a lot of modifications like a dual exhaust, Holley carb., air cleaner... Here are some pictures of how it looks right now:

You can see they removed the stock air filter and disconnected the EVAP:

I believe this might be antifreeze leakage:

The radiator looks in good condition, I don't see any smog equipment:

The Holley Carb:

A lot of engine oil spillage and leakage coming from the main brake system:

Is this a 33 galon tank?

At the Smog Station the guy told me that I need all this and he didn't care if originally the car didn't have any smog equipment, he looked at a book and gave me this list. He also said that even after putting all this there is no guarantee that it will pass :banghead:

-A correct Intake manifold
-A 2bbl carburetor, the Holley apparently is not legal
-Correct Exhaust manifolds (they sell stock ones at Bronco graveyard for $105 each)
-Thermostatic air cleaner
-EGR Back Preassure type
-One Cat.
-EVAP canister
-PCU valve
-Timing 12˚ BTDC

Just in labor he quoted me at $1,500 and I have to find the parts myself. This is turning into a nightmare. Does anyone here have experience passing Smog in CA with a 78 Bronco?

Thank you so much

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no! I am so sorry, I even had someone help me with the links and it worked when I previewed it! I am not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
well the good news is the exhaust system has reached the end of its life and needs replacement regardless

doubt the headers have are California compliant so you should start looking for factory exhaust manifolds or shorty headers with a CARB number

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Skymaster,

Yes you are right the exhaust system is falling apart. Its amazing how the seller praised so much about it making it look like it was in great shape in the eBay ad.

Anyways, I found these factory exhaust manifolds at Bronco Graveyard:

Exhaust Manifold Left 351M,400-Broncograveyard.com
Exhaust Manifold Right 351M - 400-Broncograveyard.com

$105 each, doesn't seem too bad, but the installation is what worries me, unfortunately it might be out of my skills so I have no option but to hire somebody to do it for me.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Yes, that is a 33 gallon gas tank. You can tell by the skid plate.

Truck will pretty much have to go back to stock in order for it to pass CA smog and the inspectors. Unfortunately it looks like you don't have the original valve covers as that is where the emissions sticker would be on the '78 and would help you out when it comes to getting it to pass smog. As for finding all the little emissions bits and pieces that you need in order to go back to the stock set up are going to be hard to find, took me around 2 years of scrounging through older Ford trucks and cars to find the crap. Some smog equipment you can still buy but you might have to dig for it, check RockAuto (RockAuto), they have a good listing of emissions items. Do a forum search either here or the West Coast Chapter section, there are numerous threads/posts on dealing with CA Emissions on 78-79 Broncos and all our trials and tribulations.

Changing out the exhaust manifolds is fairly easy job as long as the old bolts come out easy, passenger side is a little harder due to the A/C box.

Start hitting up the JY's in the area, some are better then others. Older Ford trucks/Broncos do show from time to time but the good stuff goes fast.

Buy the Haynes, Chilton's or factory manuals (or all 3) and start reading and don't be afraid to get on here and ask questions. We were all new to this at one time, have learned through experience and willing to pass on our knowledge to help the new kid on the block.

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much Ziggy!

So if it took you 2 years to get the parts, how did you register it? the DMV only gave me 30 days until I can pass the Smog!

I saw the emission decals on bronco Graveyard, would it help if I get one and stick it to the cover?

1978 400 AT Valve Cover Emission Decal-Broncograveyard.com

I do have the Haynes manual :) and original owners manual as well, thanks for the other recommendations.

Thank you as well for the Rock Auto link, lots of parts there!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Pictures look good. Are you familiar with smog in California? You can get a smog extension that will give you sixty days to work on your issues (if I remember right). Beyond that you can register as Planned Non-Operation and get temporary one-day passes when you need to do tests. I've heard that having a pre-test done instead of a regular official test will allow you to know if you will pass but save yourself the headache of reporting multiple failures to the state, which might result in being sent to a smog referee. If you pass the pretest then you can continue on to an official test.
For parts, I believe just about anything emission related needs to either be actual OEM stock (might be wrong on this, not sure if it's actually enough) and any aftermarket emissions gear will need a CARB Executive Order number (California Air Resource Board) to be legal. You can check your parts here:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thank you so much Ziggy!

So if it took you 2 years to get the parts, how did you register it? the DMV only gave me 30 days until I can pass the Smog!

I saw the emission decals on bronco Graveyard, would it help if I get one and stick it to the cover?

1978 400 AT Valve Cover Emission Decal-Broncograveyard.com

I do have the Haynes manual :) and original owners manual as well, thanks for the other recommendations.

Thank you as well for the Rock Auto link, lots of parts there!
The decal you listed is for a Catalyst truck. Try and get a Non-Catalyst decal like this one. 1978 Ford Bronco Econoline Clubwgn 400 Emissions Decal | eBay

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Like mentioned above I would do the registration non-op as it looks like you are going to need some time just to pass the visual part of the inspection.
Also, it looks like your entire air(smog)pump system is missing. Sourcing used factory parts will take time.
You might also want to check Rockauto.com for the parts you need, they are the least expensive and you can always get a 5% off coupon code, BTW Rockauto has the exhaust manifolds for 86.00 each
Where in LA are you?

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pictures look good. Are you familiar with smog in California? You can get a smog extension that will give you sixty days to work on your issues (if I remember right). Beyond that you can register as Planned Non-Operation and get temporary one-day passes when you need to do tests. I've heard that having a pre-test done instead of a regular official test will allow you to know if you will pass but save yourself the headache of reporting multiple failures to the state, which might result in being sent to a smog referee. If you pass the pretest then you can continue on to an official test.
For parts, I believe just about anything emission related needs to either be actual OEM stock (might be wrong on this, not sure if it's actually enough) and any aftermarket emissions gear will need a CARB Executive Order number (California Air Resource Board) to be legal. You can check your parts here:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php
Unfortunately, I already started the registration at DMV and paid for the operational. I wasn't sure what to do didn't know it was going to take that long to get everything I need.

By the way, I went on the link you sent me but I am a little confused as to how it works. I think that more or less I can find all the stock parts I need except for the thermostatic air cleaner. Found most of them at Rock Auto, thanks for the suggestion again guys! I still need to dig into it to know exactly the components I need but hopefully between help of my mechanic and this forum I will figure it out :)

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The decal you listed is for a Catalyst truck. Try and get a Non-Catalyst decal like this one. 1978 Ford Bronco Econoline Clubwgn 400 Emissions Decal | eBay

Nice!!!! Too bad the seller is out of town, but this is perfect thank you so much!!! This sticker originally was in the valve cover, can I put it on top of any valve cover, or should I try to find stock or reproduction valve covers? I dont really care much for the ones the truck has now. Or maybe I can place the sticker somewhere else?

So then my question is, by placing this sticker would it help the tests to be less strict? I remember that the Smog guy told me that since i didn't have the sticker he had to go with what the book said, so maybe there is a chance I can prove this was a non catalytic and get away with some of the restrictions?

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like mentioned above I would do the registration non-op as it looks like you are going to need some time just to pass the visual part of the inspection.
Also, it looks like your entire air(smog)pump system is missing. Sourcing used factory parts will take time.
You might also want to check Rockauto.com for the parts you need, they are the least expensive and you can always get a 5% off coupon code, BTW Rockauto has the exhaust manifolds for 86.00 each
Where in LA are you?
Thank you Scatt, I am in the Baldwin Hills wich is close to Culver City. Basically in the middle of LA.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,174 Posts
except for the thermostatic air cleaner.
If you can't find one, I've got one on Bog I'd be happy to send you. I'm smog exempt and can pick up a generic cleaner to help unleash the raw horsepower of the 351. I've also got other parts that may be of help to you like the flex tube, cold air snorkel, smog pump, etc. Just let me know.

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a box full of emission parts I pulled from 2 Ca trucks.
Hey Ranger 429, I am interested! Do you know exactly what you have? I am still trying to gather information of what I exactly need. According to the Smog guy this is it:

-A correct Intake manifold
-A 2bbl carburetor, the Holley apparently is not legal
-Correct Exhaust manifolds (they sell stock ones at Bronco graveyard for $105 each)
-Thermostatic air cleaner
-EGR Back Preassure type
-One Cat.
-EVAP canister
-PCU valve
-Timing 12˚ BTDC

·
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you can't find one, I've got one on Bog I'd be happy to send you. I'm smog exempt and can pick up a generic cleaner to help unleash the raw horsepower of the 351. I've also got other parts that may be of help to you like the flex tube, cold air snorkel, smog pump, etc. Just let me know.

That'd be amazing schwim! Always coming to the rescue! :) If you don't need it I would gladly take it! I am trying to bring the truck to another Smog guy soon to see if I can get a second opinion and hopefully I will be able to get a better idea, but for sure I will likely need the thermostatic air cleaner. Thank you so much!

·
gone fish'n
23,567 Posts
Pick and pull will have alot of this stuff.

The cat is not needed on a federal truck, PERIOD. Only cali sold trucks. I would not even dick around with the local smog shop. Make a appointment with a smog ref and tell them what going on and ask them what you will need to make pass for them. They will then apply a new emissions sticker for what they wanted on your vehicle. They may or may not delete stuff because the parts are getting harder to find, even harder to find working parts.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Codi, looks like a lot of good peeps here might be able to help you with locating the parts you need, as previously mentioned a good pick and pull will have most of the parts. I bet most ford vehicles of similar vintage shared emission components

Non-cali trucks don’t have to meet the same emission requirements as cali trucks it’s just the cali trucks had to meet the stringent emission requirements to be sold in California

1 - 20 of 89 Posts