Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i hate to start a new thread for a single little question. I tried searching "rear axle" and "8.8" but i didnt see what i was looking for..I suck at searching. Anways, i was wondering if anyone knows anything about what axles came in what year bronco's? Or more specifically, does did the 87 broncs come with the 8.8" axle? I got a guy thats parting one out, including the axle. Before i waste my time to go look at it i wanna make sure its even got an 8.8 in it. The guy doesnt have it at his house and he isnt sure, and he doesnt know the axle code. Hes obviously gonna go check next time hes out on his lot. I guess im just to impatient to find out so if anybody knows and can tell me then thanks.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 87 Bronco will have the Ford8.8" rear axle from the factory. 1986 was the last year for the Ford9". You can find info like what years had what in the LMC Truck online catalog for the fullsize Bronco, JSM84
Hey thanks man, i didnt even think to look at an LCM magazine. Good idea, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yes that 87 has a 8.8 but it wont work in your 96. Search VSS

87-89 had the speedo ring in the trans. They switched in 92-96 and the ring was run in the axle. IIRC.

·
User that is Registered
998 Posts
Yes that 87 has a 8.8 but it wont work in your 96. Search VSS

87-89 had the speedo ring in the trans. They switched in 92-96 and the ring was run in the axle. IIRC.
Yes it will, the VSS is used for the ABS in 87-91 trucks.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Well then I stand corrected. I knew they switched at some point just can't remember when. :doh0715:
Yes, they switched where the VSS information was taken from, but all the truck 8.8's had them, except for some of the funky ones, like the real early and van ones didn't have a speed sensor and tone ring in the rear.

That's where the ABS information was taken from... In 1992, they just decided to get the VSS information from the ABS module, instead of having an extra sender located in the transfer case housing.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Are that many of you cracking your housings that you need to switch and entire rear over?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No my housing is fine, just thought it would be quicker and cheaper to buy a whole axle and throw it under there rather than pay someone who knows gears to rip it apart and replace the shit.

New question: Will the 8.8's in explorers work on a bronco?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.