Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang, i just recently bought an 85 xlt 351w 4bbl. it has some exhaust issues i guess. # 1 it has hard start up issues in the morning when cold...starts then dies starts then dies ...i have to keep rpm at about 2k or 3k just to warm it up.# 2 when i try to accelerate it sputters and might stall if i don't get of the throttle then i have to get back on to keep going. if i mash on the throttle it will just clonk out...maybe getting too much fuel?? it bog's down real bad. #3 whebn i'm just driving at higher speeds when i let off the throttle it crackles and pops the whole way down the rpm range. if i'm going a steady pace and mash on the throttle then let off really quick it sounds like a damn shotgun went off in my back seat. just this morning while driving to work it happened and blew my recently installed cat back exhaust apart, split the muffler down the seam. what the heck is going on here? carb, problem. give me some advise, who should i take it to to diagnose? :chili: <---this guy is awesome!

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
A few things come to mind, you have unburnt fuel heading out of the exhaust system, Your carb needs to be adjusted (choke, air fuel mixture, fast idle cam) your timing chain may have skipped a tooth, and if that is the case than don't worry about giving it a tune up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i'm going to autozone tomorrow and picking up everything neccessary to give it a good tune up i bought the haynes manual today so i shouldnt have any problems getting firing order right...i hope. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say you have two issues timing\firing order and carb. Start by checking the firing order, then the timing and make sure once the timing is set it holds, also make sure the timing advance works, if it changes around then you probably need a new timing chain and gear set.

Once those are verified correct if the problem still occurs I would then get a carb rebuild kit, make sure you set all the adjustments according to the instructions.

Then do your tune up and exhaust repair.

Start with doing the free checks as they may lead to a more expensive repair, then move on to the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts