Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my time accumulating threads, also have the factory manuals on CD ROM. I flushed the transmission and torque converter per spec, fluid was real nasty, replaced filter, and pan since the stock was distorted and leaking.

I went by the "book" it called for 13.5 quarts, imagine the mess it made in my driveway. I drained a few quarts, it sat overnight. It went through the gears, did not move unless I revved the engine, then it would catch. I only did this to move it out of the driveway, onto the street.

It overflowed on the side of the transmission, a square looking box, safety valve? How do I correct this? So frustrated because I planned this for weeks, followed the manual, and some threads here, FSB.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When was the last time you replaced it since this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased it 3 weeks ago. Doing general maintenance, judging by the color and smell, and the "FoMoCo" filter, it hasn't been changed in sometime.

I overfilled it because the manual indicated incorrectly. I will drain tomorrow morning, all goes well, shifting will return.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buddy of mine worked as a ford mechanic for 20yrs and always said anytime someone came in with really dirty almost black from never changing it and had it flushed,tranny would always blow up right away after, he figured the new fluid would release built up scale and what not that was harden or stuck to the internal components then it would distroy the tranny as it flowed through the system. His advise was never to change fluid that was that dirty as a result. Said it happened pretty much everytime, so in short if u gotta put in a new tranny keep up on it so u dont get in this situation again if it is this, hope it doesnt come to that for your sake though

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully not. I have not driven it, just backed out of driveway. I think according to the threads I have read, I overfilled it. I should have used my own judgement, filled and measured as I went. Lesson learned

I have taken out about 5qts, thankfully the new pan has a drain plug.

To clarify, I just drained transmission pan and torque converter, I did not "flush" per say with chemicals etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wouldnt over filling just blow seals not stop from shifting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suppose if internal seals blew from over filling it would do it but u wouldnt have over filled it that much to blow them that fast one wouldnt think

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
tranny fluid had a lot of detergents in it to help keep it clear for long periods of time without changing. but when you go soo long and then change it, you risk the new fresh detergent breaking debris free. this in turn can clog valves and cause the tranny to die. this is why most people don't bother changing the fluid on an old tranny.

you might be able to save it by adjusting the bands

if the valves are clogged the only way to fix that is to drop the valvebody and pull out and clean the valves and check them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, there was no way around it, the PO had tweaked the original pan, it was dripping pretty good. I replaced with a chrome pan with drain, so adding more fluid was the only option.

Fingers crossed no damage or clogged valves. I have not driven it, just backed it out of the driveway to clean the overflow.

If I need to adjust the bands, do you just jack the rear or entire truck?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am unsure how much leaked out, quite a bit. I finished the drain this morning, maybe a few quarts. I finished the valve covers, let it warm to temp, the dipstick registered BONE DRY, would not move.

I then added a quart at a time, for a total of 4 quarts/gallon. I test drove around the block slowly, it shifted fine through all the gears.

The dispstick still shows below the two arrows a decent bit, looks like it can use some more ATF. I will drive it around, check again, add a little at a time.

So the good news is so far, it's shifting normal. Whew
Fingers crossed it last.

I am guessing a lot of fluid is now back in the torque converter? I was surprised how little came out the pan considering, but I did lose a lot in my driveway.

Lesson learned, add a little at a time, measure as you go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what JEGS showed fitting a 1983 Ford Bronco w/C6. Transmission filter fit with no issue, only the pickup tube interfered with the new pan.

Even , the B&M deep pan is similarly shaped like the Spectre, though obviously, deeper.
I am not a big mudder, did not see the need. Just replacing the damaged stock pan.

If it proves to be an issue with the pan, hopefully JEGS will reimburse me for all the ATF since their website shows that part fitting the Bronco.

As I said earlier, it shifts through all the gears, had a few slips, the dipstick still shows a bit low. I will try franklin2 suggestion, see if the dipstick is binding.

But it easily slides in the tube as before, I do not feel it hitting anything, or have to force it in to fit flush atop the tube.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
A lot of people say "if you change the fluid it will die." I've NEVER lost a trans on any of my vehicles or my customers vehicles when i worked for shops nor even my personal customers. And i've changed some NASTY fluid.

if it's dirty or slightly burnt, you're fine. If it's REALLY burnt and/or has obvious friction material suspended in the fluid you'll probably lose it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts