Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched but didn't find anything applicable.

Possible causes?

'90 model with 302.
Has never done this before. If I hit a pretty good bump, or go over a "wash board" road it sometimes dies. Starts right back up no problem. Have actually had this happen when turning a corner hard and fast.

Could the inertia switch cause this, does it work in all four directions. Very strange. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
11jdsummerfield said:
I'm guessing a loose wire. Check the coil.

No, not the coil. Checked that.

Start relay and fuel pump relay are laying loose among the the other harness wires instead of in the plastic holder. I separated the wires and looked at everything. We'll see if that makes any difference. Very annoying.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
you have EFI or carb?

my 66 mustang has a problem in the carb, if i go over a speed bump, the gas kinda sloshes around in there- and itll put out and die...
ace

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WheelinElvis said:
you have EFI or carb?

my 66 mustang has a problem in the carb, if i go over a speed bump, the gas kinda sloshes around in there- and itll put out and die...
ace

EFI, I'd know what it was if it were carbed.

Just wondering if the inertia switch has gotten weak and sensitive and if anyone else has experienced this problem. I'm sure there are several reasons it could occur.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Definately sounds like a loose/broken wire. Keep searching and shaking the harness looms and connections. We had the same prob on an 88 B2, it was the hot wire from the battery to the solenoid, the nut was loose, and it would arc and weld itself long enough to start and get you down the road a ways till you hit a big enough bump to shake it loose again. Check your solenoid and alternator connections... maybe the back side of the fuse panel too... your losing power somewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check the negative battery connection. There is the large wire and the two small wires. If either of those two small wires are loosing connection the bronco dies. there is a connection shortly after the battery connection that sometimes gets corroded from years of battery acid. Check these wires first. Also check your pump on the frame. they have little rubber boots that cover the wire ends. the are slip on crimps and my broke but because of the rubber boot was kinda held in place but every now and then it would lose contact and the bronco would die. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had the same tthing with the battery bouncing around, and another with the little switch terminal on the steering collum, bought one at napa for bout 12 buck and it stopped the problem, that was on an 80 model

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Ex-GF had a similar problem with her F-150; ended up being her EEC relay connectors were corroded. So badly in fact, I had to re-wire part of the harness just to find wire with enough copper left in it to solder to. Damn Michigan salt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.