Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else see this in Bronco Driver about the 67 found in a barn..
"With tow straps in place, I put it in reverse and managed to drag, rather than roll it out. The left front tire and the right rear tire were completely locked up."
:wowcb:
:scratchhe
Anyone else think....
Try NEUTRAL
It will roll better!:twak:smilie_slap

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
seems like he could have just put the transfer case in neutral.

if course the diffs may have been dried and rusted up i guess

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you read the story, you will see that the drum brakes had seized on those wheels. Neutral isn't going to help that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm pretty ignorant, so ya'll are gonna have to explain how dragging around a vehicle in reverse helps locked drums....
The wording in the article isn't quite correct, I will agree. But, I believe that the Bronco that was being pulled was NOT put in reverse. He put the TOWING vehicle in reverse (like what Joes93Bronco said above), and then drug the Bronco out.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
this happens to drums when they sit for long periods... sometimes you can make em break free by dragging the vehicle around... sometimes a nice drag for about 50 feet on pavement will do it... sometimes it won't :toothless .... i've never noticed or bothered with paying attention to whether forward or reverse pulling does anything any different

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i think he put the vehicle he was towing it out with in reverse. My guess is the brakes were rusted to the point where it wouldnt roll or shit was just locked up. Its hard to diagnose when you can't physically see the vehicle. Regardless I am jealous of his find... I love the EB's. I really wish I had an older one. Wish we hadnt sold the 76... it was sooo purdy:cry

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
this happens to drums when they sit for long periods... sometimes you can make em break free by dragging the vehicle around... sometimes a nice drag for about 50 feet on pavement will do it... sometimes it won't
I completely understand this part...

i've never noticed or bothered with paying attention to whether forward or reverse pulling does anything any different
This part wont effect whether the drums turn...other than the fact that neutral will allow the tranny to spin freely thereby having less resistance.
A spinning drum is a spinning drum.
It's just that putting the vehicle in neutral means there is no resistance except the drums them selves instead of having to try and spin the drivetrain also! :duh

I totaly agree the article prolly meant he put the tow vehicle in reverse, I was just responding to the folks that acted like putting the tranny in reverse helped in some way. When in all actuality it would cause more resistance...:shrug

·
Registered
4 Posts
I totaly agree the article prolly meant he put the tow vehicle in reverse, I was just responding to the folks that acted like putting the tranny in reverse helped in some way. When in all actuality it would cause more resistance...:shrug
Where did anybody in this thread say that putting the tranny in reverse would help this situation?? The original poster suggested to put it in neutral so that it will roll better. I responded by saying that getting in the truck and putting it in neutral isn't going to help it roll better if you have seized brakes. You are still just going to be dragging it around until the brakes free up.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Where did anybody in this thread say that putting the tranny in reverse would help this situation?? The original poster suggested to put it in neutral so that it will roll better.

I never said that anyone said that...I've been doing the internet thing long enough to know not to say someone said anything unless they actualy said it.
But you did make it sound that way, and actualy said it here:

I responded by saying that getting in the truck and putting it in neutral isn't going to help it roll better if you have seized brakes. You are still just going to be dragging it around until the brakes free up.
But in reality putting it in neutral will help...leaving it in reverse puts two types of resistance against it (tranny and drums), where as with it in neutral only leaves the locked drums as resistance...it's physics realy...:shrug

And to be quite honest not realy worth argueing about since it's a complete hypothetical nanyway.....:brownbag

·
tactical-mike
5,560 Posts
the drum brakes had seized on those wheels.
thank you. :beer

tow rig in reverse. bronco in neutral. bronco brakes seized .cant roll, so you drag it. i see it all the time when im moving junk cars.

you still put the trans in neutral regardless. brakes have a tendency to free up while being dragged.

·
Resident Wrecker Driver
1,325 Posts
Anyone else see this in Bronco Driver about the 67 found in a barn..
"With tow straps in place, I put it in reverse and managed to drag, rather than roll it out. The left front tire and the right rear tire were completely locked up."
:wowcb:
:scratchhe
Anyone else think....
Try NEUTRAL
It will roll better!:twak:smilie_slap
He could have also crawled under it and disconnected the shift linkage and manually moved it to neutral.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts