Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I buy my parts at Autozone *(1/3rd of the price of dealers parts) example TFI and dealer $122.00, Autozone $32.99 hey! whats the deal.

Here's my problem: *(no this is not a repost its modified form last 24hrs changes.)

1990 Bronco Full Size Eddie Bauer 4x4 351w 150k. Car dying at stop lights.

This morning it was doing it right off the bat, usually it runs to work great then the rest of the day I have problems when stopping and Idle runs high when this is happening.

No engine warning lite however, I have been told that the engine has blow by and is worn out, I can physically see smoke *(when oil cap off after hot a little fog) however not really eating oil and it run 75mph great this engine has blow by but it has plenty of compression no powerloss ever, except when I stop.

It appears to me that maybe the fuel pump is giving out. It acts like its having trouble getting gas at Idle speed and dies however, when I get the engine speed up it run like a champ as long as I dont stop.

I've had timing set, rotor, cap plugs and pwires, timing , oil changed religiously with high mileage oil, fuel filter all changed. Also, been regularly running injector cleaner in gas.

I am leaning towards TFI *(can this be replace without removing the distributor?)

Can someone tell me where the fuel regulartor is located Im gonna replace that as well. I also plan on replacing the coil which wasnt replace at time of dist cap and wires. Any suggestions

thanks!

:twak

·
Registered
871 Posts
Should I buy my parts at Autozone *(1/3rd of the price of dealers parts) example TFI and dealer $122.00, Autozone $32.99 hey! whats the deal.
Quality...check out Napa. This is where I go for better quality parts. Now Autozone does have Timken bearings in stock though.:thumbup

Can someone tell me where the fuel regulartor is located Im gonna replace that as well. I also plan on replacing the coil which wasnt replace at time of dist cap and wires. Any suggestions
The FP reg. is right by the coil.

I am leaning towards TFI *(can this be replace without removing the distributor?)
It can be replaced w/o removing the dist, but you also need the"Ford Tool" You can buy the tool and have the TFI tested at DA Zone.

Have you cleaned the throttle body and the IAC valve yet?

That's all I have for now, somebody else will chime in soon I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Before you go swapping sensors, you should check your codes. It's REALLY easy to do it yourself for free. There should be a write up around here somewhere, if you do a search.

Also, I decide what quality of part to buy based on how hard it is to swap out. If it will be easy to replace, then I would cheap out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! That is awesome,

#1 yes Im gonna have the tps replaced and tb cleaned. I've determined from all the hours spent reading thru postings that I have the prob isolated to TPS or TFI but I am gonna have a code test run at AutoZ to make sure Im not throwing cash away.

Ques

So basically if I mark the distributor cap position with liquid paper first, then crank it to the left so that I can reach the second screw on the TFI, remove it and replace it, then adjust the distributor back to the right that should work?

thx

·
Fullsize Member
68 Posts
My 93 had the same problem after replacing every sensor on the truck it came down to 1 of 3 things that fixed it. 1st replaced the ECU Temp. Sending unit with a Ford OEM I had replaced this previously with one from Advance Auto it fit but it was plastic and the Ford is metal I think the Ford can more accurately read the temp. 2nd I replaced the Air Charge Sensor 3rd I cut open my Cats and knocked out all the shit in them the truck is now loud but runs like a bat out of hell. I unfortunately did all of these things at the exact same time so I can't be sure what fixed it but one did or it was a combination. Through all this I have learned to appreciate spending a little more on Ford parts the work better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts