Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 ford bronco with a 351w and c6 transmission. THe problem is I cant make a starter last longer than one or two months depending on how many times i drive it. It has a brand new starter the flywheel is a year old. I have shimmed it that didnt work. I tried it without the dust cover that didnt work. so now i just really need some help on this one.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
so is it chewing up the drive gear? or is the electrical components frying?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
if your eating up gears, be sure your using the proper bolts for the starter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it is eating up the gears. I dont have headers. It makes this god awful sound like its not connecting right. previous owner had problems with it to. and i also checked the bolts they are good. one time it even broke the housing on the starter

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
yeah it is eating up the gears. I dont have headers. It makes this god awful sound like its not connecting right. previous owner had problems with it to. and i also checked the bolts they are good. one time it even broke the housing on the starter
how do you know the bolts are fine?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you also need to be sure you have the correct flywheel with the correct starter. Ford used a 157 tooth and a 164 tooth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know its the right starter. should be the right fly wheel we ordered it for that setup. i did use a starter one time that was off my dads 302 thunderbirds and it sounded alot better but it was also a motorcraft.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
well you have the right bolts
and you have the right flywheel and starter because you ordered them together....

then by what your saying since everything is right, you have no problems.

Something is wrong, I have told you the major items that care the lead cause. So you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
no shit, thats why I said the proper bolts need to be used. sounds like the previous owner had issues and you bought his problems. the starter bolts are specific to align the starter properly.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
i know its the right starter. should be the right fly wheel we ordered it for that setup. i did use a starter one time that was off my dads 302 thunderbirds and it sounded alot better but it was also a motorcraft.
Well, the only variable, or at least the only part that you are not 100% sure on, is the flywheel. Sure you ordered it for that setup, but you dont always get exactly what you order. If the teeth aren't meshing exactly right, that would explain why it seems like its not sitting in there right.

Theres only so many things that can be wrong here. Try one made for the other tooth count, and see what happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well lets say i buy new bolts just for shits were do i get them the parts store or just get the specs and got to a hardware store

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I would see if ford still can get them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
does it have a block plate instaled[tin plate between engine ant trans]
my ranger mud truck that has a 302/c6 set up would tear up starters every
couple of week's,some would last a month.
i think i put like 14 starters on it in a year...
anyway long story short is i broke my trans before this all started and the block plate was in like 5 pieces,well when i put new trans in a friend said that you dont need it so i stuck the trans in..
well 14 starters later and i found a c6 block plate,instaled it and have yet to break anouther starter.....

now a friend told me he had a bronco 2 that started breaking starters every couple of weeks,an old man told him his block plate could be worn out
so he replaced the block plate and the problem went away...
he said it had groves worn in it...

anyway just a thought as this was my expieriance

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Make sure the "trans/block plate/sheild" isn't bent and there isn't anything wedged in it like mud, peice of a old starter, etc that would cause the starter to not mount up tight.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You would be hard pressed to be able to get a manual or automatic starter to replace each other. The manual will miss the automatic ring gear, and the auto will just go in and the starter's pinion will hit the ring gear, unable to engage.

I think the answer to the problem is already listed. Take the starter from your Dad's 302 Thunderbird, give him yours, and you are fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
You would be hard pressed to be able to get a manual or automatic starter to replace each other. The manual will miss the automatic ring gear, and the auto will just go in and the starter's pinion will hit the ring gear, unable to engage.
Damn, didnt know the flywheels were that different...

·
Super Moderator
25,841 Posts
yo
Drives, Exploded, Ford 2 bolt type, Shims needed due to worn thrust bearings in engine; "...This condition is the result of the drive engaging too deeply into the flywheel. The face of the drive is rubbing on the flywheel and gradually cutting into the cover that holds the drive together. Eventually, it cuts through and the drive comes apart. The damage is not caused by a problem with the starter. It is because the flywheel is floating as a result of worn thrust bearings, located inside the engine block, whose function is to keep the crankshaft centered. This wear can be enough to cause starter and ring gear engagement problems on an engine with 60,000 or more miles. It might take a long time to destroy the original starter, but when a new unit is installed, the drive can be quickly destroyed. Therefore, it is important to properly diagnose this problem when inspecting the customers original core rather than providing him a replacement unit. Shims are availalbe from OCA, part number F.S.S.2B
Source: by mrreman.com via web.archive.org

A Prev owner - when did you but the Bronco from the PO? if recently; am GUESSING now.. maybe some fool "neighbor or pal of the PO" mixed up types and enlarged the hole? ;
Difference between Automatic & Manual Transmission; "...The locating circle on the face of a Ford starter is made to different dimensions for manual and automatic transmissions. This keeps a person from mixing the two starters up since they look similar. If the starter does not fit in the hole in the intermediate plate, this indicates that a person either has the wrong starter or the wrong intermediate plate. Do not enlarge this hole or grind on the starter to make it fit, instead change the incompatible part. pre-1975 (auto) and pre 1980 (truck) manual transmissions ONLY. Part # 9162 is for automatic and 1975 and later (auto) and 1980 and later (truck) manual transmissions..."
Source: by powermastermotorsports.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts