Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey got a question for all you mechanically inclined bronco fellows. im looking at buying this 88 bronco and it is mid engine swap. the engine that is going in is a 360 FE carb. this is what he told me, i have never heard of that engine. so can anyone help me out in pertinence to how much work its going to take. for reference purposes we'll start from the beginning of installing the 360 carb. can anyone give me any details on this engine too? i only got to speak with the guy briefly today. thanks a bunch

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thats what i thought. ive dealt with a few classic mustangs and never heard of a 360 engine so i was skeptical anyway. however, i dont know about running from the deal, he is giving me the 302 along with it so ill just put that back in. might rebuild it before i do though! know anyone who wants to buy a 360 carb? hahaha thanks man

·
Registered
65 Posts
maybe some more knowledgable older guys can chime in, but I'm pretty sure the 360 and 390 shared some odd ball bell housing bolt pattern with the 427...something really odd. I've only been around 1 ford truck with a 360 and it was a respectable motor, but it was in a late 60's ford pickup. parts will be rare and I don't see how in the world that'll work in this without some rediculous adapters or swapping some old 1960s drivetrain in behind that motor. and then the whole question is why? even if that 360 is freshly rebuilt, why spend 3k in parts and tons of time when you could rebuild a 302 for much less and be able to find parts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The 360 is part of the FE engine family as previously noted. It does not share anything other than a blue oval with the modern small/big block engines that are installed in the post '77 F-series and Broncos. I just sold my '76 F350 dump truck yesterday. It had the 360 in it. Decent torque, but way overweight for the power output. There are better FE engines to consider for this swap, 390/428 is my fav', but in reality a modded 5.8L engine is better suited in a Bronco IMHO.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In my not so humble opinion, the old FE motors were amoung the best V-8's that Ford ever rolled out. The 360 though, not so much so. Basicaly using a 390 block/heads but with a 352 crank, the 360 was sort of the step child in the FE family....an after thought if you will....and mostly meant to fill the gap between the 302 and 390 so's Ford would have a truck engine to compete with Chevy's 350.
Aside from being a low compression de-stroked 390, the 360 uses a very skinny connecting rod, has excessive deck higth which makes it burn dirty, just enough cam timing to propel a truck down the hiway, a slow advance curve in the distributor, and the worse power to weight ratio of any Ford V-8 since the 239 CID Y-Block.
What means is that Ford ended up with a big heavy motor which used more fuel than a 302 but didn't make enough extra power to justify it. You can also note that even though unleaded gas was being phased in at the time, low octane leaded gas was also still available, which is what the 360 required. Exactly NO FE motors were ever produced which would be compatable with today's gasolines.

What I'm saying here is that not only will a 360 not work with an '88 transmission/transfer case, mounts, radiator, exhaust, etc.....you'd have to modify it to run on unleaded gas anyhow. Seems like a lot of work and expense just to come up with something that won't do anything that a modern 351W can't do better.

Just my 02 .

DGW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts