Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 big bronco 351w that is going to be needing a muffler cause its rattling inside. This truck has the factory in-line dual cats, If I remove the muffler and use a y pipe off of the cats and then do duals how would this sound ? I would be using the cats as mufflers, has anyone done this ? any performance gain at all ? thanks-

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Just replace the cats with some aftermarket hi flow cats, stay with single exhaust and a good muffler and you'll see some performance gains and be dollars ahead.

BTDT

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
stay single, It will sound fine, I found it to still be to quiet like that

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im interested in the sound of running just the factory cats actually-

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
i gotta read the sticky, but can you clamp the cats so the y would be removable?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD bronco, does it have a lil rumble too it ?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
yeah, It has some nice tone and a little rumble. Its not loud enough for me though, when I put my lift on Im running a straight 3" pipe off the headers

·
Roll Tide!
2,689 Posts
i ran a 3 inch single for about a month and i didnt like it. i cut off 1 cat and ran a Flowmaster 40 series muffler into a 3 inch tailpipe. it just wasnt throaty enough for me so i got a single in dual out Thunderbolt muffler and 2 1/2 tail pipes and 3 1/2 tips and its mean sounding and isnt too wild on the highway.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
i have both the cats and straight pipe after that...sounds good, i like it at least not to loud not obnoxious...this is what it looks like from the cats to the end it measures out to about 46 inches from the cats to the turndown...and yes after i welded it i painted it and most of the components black with engine enamel....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts