Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, so here is my problem, i just came across a 1989 5.8l bronco, main problem it has its that, when you start it, it will start great, have no problem in that whatsoever but if you drive it around for about 2.hours and the engine warms up it will feel like its pulling a heavy trailer and it turns off eventually. Have no clue as to why thats happening, now here is what i know is probably not okay but would like to get pointed in the right direction,
1. The battery it has its not the original
2. Changed Manifold to headers (not sure if the computer needs to be reprogrammed, some say it does others say it doesnt)
3. In the exhaust system, all the way starting from the Y of the headers to the muffler, are all but one size pipe, it means like this, 1inch pipe welded to a 2inch welded to a 1 1/5inch welded to a 1 and so on and so forth till it reaches the muffler and its one exhaust system only, not 2. ( dont.know if this has anything to do with that)
Other than that it has no other details/problems.
Anybody have a clue as to why it turns off?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
exhaust is suppose to be 2.5" pipe off the manifolds. Some of us are running 3" exhaust. from manifolds to tailpipe. Pull codes; check make sure brakes aren't dragging (abs light on?). Check throttle body. Consider sixlitre tune up.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
1: it better not be the battery that came with the FSB in 1989...

2: Headers don’t need the ECU remapped in 1989, the system wasn’t wasn’t sophisticated enough for that.

3: exhaust should be 2.5 from headers back.

As to your problem I would be looking into an overheating issue.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
975 Posts
Take a picture, show us.

To clarify things, when you say it warms up & shuts off, are you seeing the coolant temp guage in the truck go to hot, or are you saying you feel like it heats up this restricted exhaust & shuts off. That is very bad. So either exhaust issue, or cooling system issue, we need to clarify & if coolant temp images is fine, read on ill address the exhaust possibilities.

Sounds like by your description, someone tried to make their own exhaust & did quite a bad job of it. If they have the exhaust so restricted that it is causing the motor to heat up to the point where it shuts off, you may be overheating the valves so bad that major damage could ocour.

From the factory, there is an air pump, that shoots air into the catalytic converter that is a smaller diameter, but with no images, we are guessing at what you might be talking about.

For example, my exhaust has headers, & a 2 1/2" Y Pipe, then it turns into a 3" pipe after the Y-pipe, with a catalytic converter, then it stays 3" to the muffler, then goes over the axle and exits in the factory location as a 3" pipe. At no point should it neck down to a series of smaller pipes.

Factory this was all 2 1/2" and nothing should be restricted to a smaller diameter. Sounds like the guy didn't have the right diameter pipes & hodge-podged some stuff together he had laying around, which is causing problems.

Hopefully a trip to the local exhaust shop can fix this in short order, but please clarify & get us some images please.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would change out your fuel filter. They're inexpensive and an often overlooked maintenance item. In a more modern vehicle you will start getting lean codes, lack of power, won't downshift properly, etc.

·
Super Moderator
29,039 Posts
Yo Tommy,
Welcome!
In table 12 below, restricted exhaust is a possible perpetrator.
Quick Test is a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....
Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Here is the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Please Find time to participate and Vote in our Full-Size Bronco of the Month Contest (soon to be renamed to, ... of the Quarterr Contest) & CURRENT Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes!

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So my dad sent me a few pictures imma put them in the best order that i can and yall tell me what you think, sorry if it scares you
First 2 pictures are the header and what follows, 3 and 4 are the y i believe cant really see what size it is but im thinking 2inch maybe? 5 and 6 are the other side headers if im correct and the last 3 i cant make them out
Anybody has anything like this and its normal?
@Rob_64-365

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
975 Posts
Wow, no that looks like someone really made a mess of the exhaust system with whatever they had on hand. It surely can not be helping things, but as to whether or not this is causing your problem would be a guess & I would hate to see you fix this exhaust & still have the problem afterwards. This exhaust does need to be replaced though. I had a full system made for my truck which was a 2 1/2" Y-Pipe that exited as a 3" into a 3" catalytic converter, 3" muffler, and over the axle & exiting 3" in the factory location behind the rear tire on it for my Bronco at the local mom & pop exhaust place for $700, which i thought was expensive, but if you can weld better than the previous owner, you could get off pretty cheap.

You never answered if the temp guage was getting hot at all??

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Looks like 2" made y pipe with cat removal. Cat removal is a good. Shorty headers look good. Consider a bassani y pipe. And 3" muffler and tailpipe. I mean that is IF you don't have other issues causing lack of power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, no that looks like someone really made a mess of the exhaust system with whatever they had on hand. It surely can not be helping things, but as to whether or not this is causing your problem would be a guess & I would hate to see you fix this exhaust & still have the problem afterwards. This exhaust does need to be replaced though. I had a full system made for my truck which was a 2 1/2" Y-Pipe that exited as a 3" into a 3" catalytic converter, 3" muffler, and over the axle & exiting 3" in the factory location behind the rear tire on it for my Bronco at the local mom & pop exhaust place for $700, which i thought was expensive, but if you can weld better than the previous owner, you could get off pretty cheap.

You never answered if the temp guage was getting hot at all??
It does get hot but not all the way , like it goes 3/4 of the way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Other thing to mention is that if you turn it on today, all fine but if you wait 2 or 3 days to turn it on again, its gonna take a few extra seconds to start but im pretty sure its the battery, the battery it has its enough to turn it on, but its not made for that car
And just that, i mean you turn it on you run it it runs beautifully, until it warms up and starts with the attitude, turns off then just wait for it to cool off and go again, now other thing to mention, it idles around 1000 because my brother has a bronco aswell but his has a flowmaster and i told him that it idles to high cause of how it sounds and i checked mine but mine without the flowmaster and it was around 1000 aswell, seemed kinda odd cus he has 5.0 and i 5.8

·
Registered
975 Posts
It sounds like you have a combination of ongoing issues, and that happens over the years if things aren't maintained properly. I start with pulling codes see where that leads you. Check your fuel pressure at the rail, could be fuel pump issues, or a coil overheating, that exhaust causing problems, but its really all guessing till we know more. I am leaning towards fuel pump starting to go as well. That exhaust, however bad it was run, looks to have been there for quite some time. The chronic problem these Era fords all have is vacuum line leaks as they are plastic & often crack. You've got some work to do ahead of you, but don't get discouraged, they are pretty easy trucks to wrench on for the most part if you're up for it & a code reader would be a great thing to purchase.

My bronco barely ran, thru question asking here at FSB, buying some tools like a code.reader & fuel pressure guage, I got it running great in no time, by fixng things one at a time.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Other thing to mention is that if you turn it on today, all fine but if you wait 2 or 3 days to turn it on again, its gonna take a few extra seconds to start but im pretty sure its the battery, the battery it has its enough to turn it on, but its not made for that car
And just that, i mean you turn it on you run it it runs beautifully, until it warms up and starts with the attitude, turns off then just wait for it to cool off and go again, now other thing to mention, it idles around 1000 because my brother has a bronco aswell but his has a flowmaster and i told him that it idles to high cause of how it sounds and i checked mine but mine without the flowmaster and it was around 1000 aswell, seemed kinda odd cus he has 5.0 and i 5.8
This sounds like the ignition control module

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

those are the headers i have installed and i pulled the codes its 52,81 82 and 84
81 and 82 are about an air solenoid i think and 84 is the egr valve

·
Registered
975 Posts
Code 52 is a power steering pressure switch. That i believe has to deal with the steering inputs you need to do when performing the koer test. The 81-82 are air pump & 84 EGR, None of which should hurt the performance of the engine.

You mentioned the temp guage getting somewhat hot, even if not all the way, make sure the coolant is full & a fan shroud is in place & making sure the radiator fins are clear & not caked with mud from a previous owner off road adventures. A fresh a thermostat, & coolant flush can't hurt. While your doing this a water pump isn't a bad idea either. The coolant temp once warm, should be stable.

So this leads us back to guessing the other possibilities mentioned. Fuel system, ignition, & that crazy exhaust that's rigged up on there.

The idle being high is most likely caused by old plastic hard vacuum lines being cracked.

Still pointing at you bought a Bronco that had poor routine maintenance done to it that will be fine once you address all the issues & get it up to spec.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts