Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI There,
My name is Herb Rettke and I'm new to this forum but I come with the proper credentials - a 1992 Bronco Nite 4x4 with 5.8L V8, auto transmission.

Before I go any further with CLICK I will explain a little about myself. I enjoy backpacing in the sierras along streams and rivers so I can fish and I explore side canyons, pan a little gold and fish did I mention I like to fish. I also ride a mountain bike for exercise, I have a Kawasaki Concours motorcycle that I also enjoy riding and I also enjoy target practice with a variety of projectile flingers including an air rifle. Oh, and if I ever had time for it I would also be out metal detecting, yup way to many things I like to do and not enough time to do them.

I'm looking for work right now but when I am employed I'm a Polymer Extrusion Engineer working in the Catheter/Medical Device industry. What that means is that I make plastic soda pop straws, like at the Golden Arches in your Pepsi, only the ones I make go inside people further than soda pop straws. I've over 15 years experience with this type of work, I've designed and built my own processing line and I'm good at what I do. If anybody has a lead for me on a job or someone I should be talking to I would appreciate an email from you.

Now, back to CLICK! Monday night I pulled into my parking space, turned the ignition key to the off position, the engine stopped, I set the parking break and went inside. Tuesday morning I got into the Bronco, inserted the key into the switch, turned the key and there was a loud CLICK. Nothing else. The starter does not come on, there is just this loud click from the relay on the right fender. What I've done: new rebuilt starter, new battery, new relay, I've polished the insides of both battery clamps as well as every grounding strap I can reach (can't get at the one behind the alternator, the one that comes from the negative battery post) even the one on the negative battery cable that screws to the frame just before it attaches to the engine. I also cheched the fuse box under the hood with all those 20-50 amp fuses and they were all good, did not check the diode. Right now I've the battery charger on the new battery to charge it overnight. In the morning I will check to see if the engine is locked up and if not then I will try to start it with the fully charged battery (the old battery was less than 3 years old. Oh, the vehicle has a new Jaspers engine and transmission with about 1,500 miles on them to date.

I do not have a clue as to what has gone wrong, one night its working fine and the next morning nothing but a loud click from the relay on the fender well.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thank you in advance for thinking on this little "marvel". Herb

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
First, welcome and nice intro!

Second, I can not help you with your click but we have some real experts here... Someone should be able to help ya out! :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey There ProBronco,
The starter is a brand new rebuilt unit fresh from Kragen's. Also, the battery is brand new and so is the relay on the passenger side fender well. In all cases when the starter key switch is turned the Relay on the fender well makes a large CLICK but nothing else happens. It is NOT the starter that clicks it is the relay on the fender well that clicks. All of this was the same with the old parts as well as with all of the new parts. I've cleaned my battery cable clamps, I've cleaned several ground cable contacts at various places on the engine and still nothing happens save for the relay clicking.

Any more ideas would be appreciated! Herb

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flatline 84,
I assume you are talking about the solenoid on the starter itself and no I have not. First I wanted to get a larger socket on the end of the crankshaft nut to see if I can roll the engine over by hand then I could go on to things like jumping the solenoid but I've changed out the starter that was on the bronco when this problem first started with no results so I kinda think jumping having a new solenoid says the need for jumping the solenoid has already been taken out of the picture. The engine is a Jaspers rebuilt unit that was put into my Faithful Nite about 1,500 miles ago so who knows maybe its locked up???? Any other ideas? I've checked the fuse box on the dash as well as the one under the hood and all of them were good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi There Andrew James,
Nice looking bronco there! I thought about the intro and decided I might just as well give a brief bio, a short advertisement and then beg for help. My 92 started out its driving history in Eagle River Alaska hence the rusted out lower tailgate. There was not a dent in it and very few scratches on it when I took over ownership, that has since changed. I managed the one dent negotiating a burned out hillside in the sierras two years ago, the front tires skidded on a downed log allowing the vehicle to twist connecting the front left quarter panel with the remaining charred tip of the only sold stump on the hillside. I was cutting and breaking trail on the same trip but some of the reamining spikey/grabby/sharp/nasty/cruel/mean branches "polished" the paint job for me. Kinda rough polish job but the Ole Girl does not seem to mind. I will buff it out one of these days. At the 230,000 mile mark the engine quit, the mains were Shot! No babbit left on them and they'd been moving forward and backward, kinda slopping around in the journals which allowed the oil pressure to vary and that is what caught my attention. I had a newly rebuilt Jaspers engine installed and transmission installed in the truck and they seem to work well, the engine revs are higher than with the original equipment but I'm back on the road that is till the CLICK situation.
I've had a few responses from kind hearted folks on the site and I suspect with the groups help the problem will be found.
Enjoy the day, Herb

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
First TEST the (S) side of the starter relay to see if it conducts voltage thru that cable down to the starter motor, no voltage, no start...
I don't know what quality relay you chose but for the most part new or old, they're cheaply made and prone to failure because I went thru 3 when swapping in my 302 long block in 08...PITA..

FREE TEST the starter motor, I just went thru this recently with FSB member RickyB and he had the same problem with several new starter motors AND they all tested good until he purchased a $$$ good quality motor and it fired right up...

I woud put an 850CCA battery on your wish list next time around and you won't regret it....

Make sure the NEG battery cable is grounded to the frame if you haven't already....

I also have a video on www.supermotors.net/17406 - starter relay ground, you might want to take a look but it, every little bit helps on these old trucks...lol lol...sounds like you have a good handle on things...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Still could be a bad starter............

Simple trouble shooting, discounect the starter side. Turn the key to start, there should be 12V on the side disconected.

No 12V bad solinoid.

Most clicks:

Low battery
Bad starter

Starting issues are cake on Broncos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
welcome! and 2 things thats why i have a stick bronco :) haha and when my brother and i rebuilt his tarus engine and we didnt remember to plug the main wireing harness back in it would just make a clicking sound so if all els fails look into ur wiring harness

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Welcome to FSB!

No one has suggested breaking out the multi-meter yet? Please observe my sig line from Hoxviii. Stop wasting your time replacing random parts and just test it first. ;) If the Jasper is a 92+ style, the starter should have the selinooid directly on it which you can test with someone holding the key to start to see if it's getting 12v. Every time something is replaced, just like ProBronco mentioned, you introduce a new variable of possibly a DOA part or malformed install. Post up in the "Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!", you will get more hits there.

Cheers :beer

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Welcome to the site :thumbup

My '89 did that and it was very simple.
If you hear that click, that means the solenoid is doing its job.

What i did was make sure the wire from the starter to the solenoid was clean, and tight.
The end connected to the starter had gotten lose, and thats all that was causing it.

This may have been covered, didnt read the other post. Bestof luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello to you JKossarides as well as to ProBronco - TBickar - chexmix - & Vannnce,
First I want to thank ALL of you as well as EVERYONE who's come in on my thread for HELP!! Your help has truly meant a great deal to me as right now Timing in Life is on the critical side and getting the Ole Girl back up and running is so important. Yes, I found the problem. It was the positive battery cable that "looked good" but actually was not conducting Enough juice and hence the loud CLICK. I used a jumper cable (for jump starting a car) to briefly wire around each of the battery cables and I started with the negative and it was good (actually it was a no test as because it was good it made no difference in the CLICK situation) but when I wired around the red wire the engine started right up. I'd also turned the engine over by hand to make sure the new engine had not locked up. As the stock Bronco positive cable has so many leads coming off it and my NAPA dealer did not have the correct one in stock I opted to purchase a 60 inch cable with simple bolt through crimp on connectors. On the end I attached to the starter I added some neoprene tubing over the rather long crimp connector (to keep it from shorting out on other leads) and used electric tape to help hold it in place before I added it to the battery lead on the starter. On the top end I bolted the crimp connector to the battery clamp bolt and the Bronco likes it as it runs fine.
So Vannnce I did clean all the ground leads I could find but it was a no go though it was good for me as it accquainted me with a few places on the Bronco I'd not been to before. chexmix, I'd commited to the shotgun approach and had gotten my head screwed on backwards because of the initial approach but the multimeter would have told me the positive wire had a high resistance. TBickar your wiring harness comment was interesting as having had the new motor put in not long ago it could have been possible the mechanic had not pushed one of the cables all the way in and it had fallen out (I did find the "test plug" cap had not been put back on the test plug). ProBronco your thought is correct low quality new rebuilt parts could still be bad and I did think about replacing the new rebuilt unit I'd just installed. And last but not least JKossarides - test don't spend bucks is a good mantra. Also, where does one purchase a "High Quality" starter, alternator and please explain what an 850CCA battery is and how much these items cost. Rolling Hills Estates CA, NorCal or SoCal?
Oh it is so good to have my ride up and running again. I'd been considering heading for Salinas where the motorcycle is stored and getting it prepped and back on the road but not just yet.
Thanks all and do have a Super Weekend, Herb

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Glad you found the issue !!! Pains me sideways when my old girl is down...............(certified toy she is)

Welcome to the site and post away, would love to hear more from you in the future !!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks ProBronco,
I took a wonderful ride through parts of Montana in 1994 in my Chevy LUV pickup. Happened through Freedom one fine day and noticed a sign saying welcome to Freedom, home of Freedom Firearms. The LUV developed a severe drag on the right side and when I got it stopped I found I was in the Freedom FA's parking lot so I figured I might just as well go in as I was in the lot and besides it would give the truck time to recover from whatever happened. They have some Fine revolvers even if they are expensive. This was the first time I was ever exposed to the 454 Casual caliber. There were two pieces of sheet steel at the front door, 1/4" and 3/8" thick with holes through them. You guessed it 454 holes. Since I'd had so much trouble with bears in California I decided that one day when I'd been a good boy I'd get that caliber. A few years later I did but in a Ruger super redhawk which is a huge hunk of metal that easily contains the pressures from the 454 round. I tested it and found that it will pierce an 8" diameter pine tree and lodge in the tree behind it as well as go through 3/8" sheet steel. BIG BANG, goodly amount of kick but with porting it is quite manageable.

While going through Montana I noticed some little red and white signs in the forest, a bunch of them along a half mile stretch. I stopped, walked in till I could read them and they said "Bad Bear in this area, Stay Out! I thought that was a quaint method of taking care of a bad bear. I saw many beautiful vistas, wonderful forests, wonderful lakes, wonderful rivers and some equally wonderful fish, did I mention I like to fish? tee hee I could not resist. I also found the people there to be good old fashioned nice which was a pleasant change. All in all I had a good trip and thought I'd like to come back and check the state out a bit more. I've heard the winters are blistering cold and I suspect that is true of most if not all of the state. Still, beautiful country. I'd guess one needs to have hobbies for the winter?

I've enjoyed having a 4x4 again as it gets me much further back into the wilderness than I could go with the 2wd LUV. My sons first ride in the Bronco was a real experience, just a steep hill but his comment was "Dad you gotta teach me how to do this", I smiled. Before the Bronco I had a 49 Willys 4x4 pickup truck with a modern 4 cylinder jeep engine I put in and after that I had an M38A1 Jeep. I had the Willys for about 10 years and it and I saw a lot of mud together. The military jeep was smaller and more fun to drive but man that thing was cold on a night time drive, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I sold both of them in the late 60's and went without till about 2003, how did I go that long without a 4x4? Oh, I got a street motorcycle and walked a lot to get to the trails in the back country. I had a Rokon 2 wheel drive motorcycle for a few years but I did very little with it. An interesting machine for sure!

And this ProBronco is it for today. I will post from time to time and will eventually get some pictures on as well. Again, thanks to all for the help!! Herb

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Good quality product usually means Brand name, get one from Napa as opposed to El Cheapo Autozone etc.........lol lol

This is more of a truck battery so 850CCA/1000CCA battery means 850 cold cranking amps at starting with 1000 cold cranking amps in sub temperature regions, I paid around $81.00 out the door at Costco and worth every penny of it....

Rolling Hills Estates is in SOCAL, above Palos Verdes and 5 miles south above Redondo Beach, 12 miles south of Hermosa and Manhattan Beach......

Glad you got it sorted out and you're up and running....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts