Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting a chance to do some installations of parts I've had floating around.

I purchased one of these: Ford Bronco Dropped Spare Tire Mount for Tire Rack-Broncograveyard.com

The install went about as well as I could have hoped, 4 bolts out, 4 bolts back in. It does, indeed, lower the tire a bit, and stops the sidewall from compressing against the tire carrier.

I did need to put a couple of washers behind the wheel to stop a slight rocking, but that's the worst issue I found.

I originally thought the mounting plate they provide for a backup camera would be a great idea... but I'm realizing it's not centered in the vehicle, so maybe it's better used for a backup light?

At any rate, I do appreciate it sitting a bit lower, and I'm sure I'll figure something cool to do with the mounting plate. Also, the lug nuts and studs don't squeal like a banshee when I take the tire off anymore!

Post install photo:

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,121 Posts
It's a Solo Motorsports product, which means premium quality and premium price.

JBG is just the middleman, so there's only so much they can do to bring the price down.

I went the DIY route:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went the DIY route:
I've said it before, I'll say it again... those of you with fabrication skills may as well be superheroes. I promise you, I'd burn a lot more than $120 trying to build this thing myself.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again... those of you with fabrication skills may as well be superheroes. I promise you, I'd burn a lot more than $120 trying to build this thing myself.
I only recently acquired my super powers. :)

·
Registered
96 EB
133 Posts
I only recently acquired my super powers. :)
LoL? Is it like the fountain of youth? Fountain of super powers? I'll take a jug of that please.

That tire drop does look good, but not sure it's worth $120 to me right now. I have a lot of other things to tackle before that.

·
Eric
2,667 Posts
It's mostly their equipment that does the work. Those guys probably have a laser table and CNC press brake with automatic gauges/stops. Given those two machines, once the design of the object (in the flat) is uploaded to the laser's system, one could cut out and form a couple hundred of those in an 8-hour day. Then, they go over to a dude who drops some studs through the pre-cut holes and tacks the backside of each stud. Then, the studs get capped, they all get hung on racks in a powder coating booth, and then everything gets sprayed at the same time. Then, those racks get rolled 20 feet to an oven and everything gets baked at the same time. There's probably about $40 worth of, actual, time (at whatever their shop rate is) and material per each one. Then they put their mark-up on it and sell it to JBG, who, in turn, marks it up again and sells it to you.

I hate to say it, but there's about a 100% profit margin on most fabricated parts in the motorsports world. I laugh when I see fabricated bumpers being sold for $2,800 by large companies. The shop I used to run averaged about 20 bumpers a day, 6 days a week, plus RT steps, grilles, and light brackets with 57 people involved across 8 departments.

Not trying to be "captain bring-down," but I just think folks should be aware of where their hard-earned cash is going. That is a nice bracket, though, and if it does what you need, then it was worth it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not trying to be "captain bring-down," but I just think folks should be aware of where their hard-earned cash is going.
You should see the similar calculations for what I do for a living (thinking and entering data into a computer) vs what I get paid (a decent living) vs what my employer charges its customers for my time (an ungodly amount of money).

SOLO doesn't make money because they do metalworking, they make money because they have a good process for metalworking...

I don't have their skill, their engineering staff, their equipment...and earning the money to pay them takes a lot less of my time then becoming a first-class metal fab guy would.

I know there are people on this site who can do all sorts of amazing things with their hands... but I'm proud of myself for swapping out my passenger seat... I had to drill 6 holes in some steel stock, and 5 of them were in the right place the first time. :)

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,595 Posts
I see a need if you have larger tires but then there is also the problem of moving it out 1/2 inch. I would think that would put a lot of extra weight on the factory hard points. I am also not sure my 35s would clear the bumper?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I see a need if you have larger tires but then there is also the problem of moving it out 1/2 inch. I would think that would put a lot of extra weight on the factory hard points.
I had the same concern, thus switching to a 3 lb lighter wheel. (Also prompted by the old wheel not holding air lately; too much powdery aluminum "corrosion" along both beads.) However, it seems like a pretty common problem of the bigger tires being squished against the carrier's tubes, with the workaround for some being less backspacing to push the tire out further ... which is basically the same lever arm effect as just extending the mount out further.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts