Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my '96 fullsize for about 3 months now and haven't ever driven it in the rain besides light mists. Until tonight. It was a flash flood warning and pouring down rain. My bko was hydroplaning like a mofo. It was really ridiculous. I've never driven ANY vehicle that performed worse in the rain!!

:banghead

I had to drive home at about 25 mph the whole way and almost got in several accidents. In fact, if it hadn't been for ABS, I'd probably be calling my insurance agent right now instead of being on the computer!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The problem is the tires. It's not that they are bad tires. It's just that they are'nt up to the task of handling flash flood conditions.:thumbup

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Maybe those Michellins are bad in the rain. I don't know how the vehicle has much to do with hydroplaning unless you are driving like a jackass.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. I drive like a grandma. I cant afford the gas to drive peddle to the medal. And the tires are all season road tires. No big offroad lugs. I just thought they'd hug the road better than they do.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I run Goodyear MT/R's and they SUCK in the wet. Turn a corner on the public roadways, and hit the painted cross walks or such and you hear the front pushing to the outside of the turn. Even my Radial SSR's did not do that. Some tires just are not made for the rain - be it the tread design, or (in my case) the rubber formula. Hard rubber is good for mileage warranties, but not for driving in the wet.

--MIKE--

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
How much air do you have in them?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im running about 45 psi in them on the road. The max load on those are 55.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Seriously, it was either you were driving too fast or your tires are crap. There is no reason to blame hydroplaning on a vehicle that weighs 5000 lbs. Get narrower tires (cut through water and snow better) and/or better tread design for getting rid of water. Even then, under the conditions you are describing any vehicle could easily hydroplane.

Edit: Oh, or realize you are driving a truck in crappy conditions and slow your ass down or stay off the road.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Im running about 45 psi in them on the road. The max load on those are 55.
Did you ever try running the tires at the vehicle manufacturer specified pressure? I bet your next thread will be that your truck rides really rough.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've gotta agree with these other guys, it's not the Bronco's fault. If you want a tire that kicks ass in the rain check out a set of BFG A/T's. I've driven in serious downpours where I could barely see past the hood with those tires and it always felt sure footed.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
drive a corvette on wide bald hard tires in flash flood, sleet and all that good stuff, you'll never bitch about the bronco again

light vehicle plus wide bald hard tires= put new to me corvette in ditch

when i got the bronco it had some balding daytons on it and it was infinately better in the rain than my vette was when i got it

the more i drive the bronco in the rain the better it does, the A/T seemed terrible in the rain when i first got it but it seems to be much better now that i've got a few miles on them

i'll chock your story up to tire design, size, and user error, after the first almost accident you should have learned and not had a second almost accident on the same trip (unless all others were someone elses fault)

hell i drove all around today storming puddles several inches deep and didn't hydroplane, step out, or spin the tires significantly, maybe i'm just beefy though, or maybe i just have slightly more experience when it comes to driving in shit weather

·
Be jealous of my
923 Posts
I've gotta agree with these other guys, it's not the Bronco's fault. If you want a tire that kicks ass in the rain check out a set of BFG A/T's. I've driven in serious downpours where I could barely see past the hood with those tires and it always felt sure footed.

I'll second that. The Bronco is amazing in all weather types. It's heavy enough to provide the weight for traction in the snow, doesn't hydroplane like your talking w/o shit for tires, and cannot be stopped. I had bald ass BFG's for the first 7 months of me owning it. It did amazing in the rain then, and is even better in the rain now. I have cheap MT's on my Ranger, those suck hardcore in the rain. I'll spin all the way through 3rd gear with them at 3/4 throttle. Get better tires.

·
Registered
454 Posts
yeah. our Toyo's ran it just fine. but also, u gotta realize that the bronco has a wider footprint, and, it is a 6000lb vehicle. maybe u shouldn't be flying down the rainy highways.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You all should read the part where I said I was driving at 25 MILES PER HOUR.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
You all should read the part where I said I was driving at 25 MILES PER HOUR.
i'm wondering how do you hydroplane at 25 with a semi decent tire and an almost 3 ton rig
i've never had a vehicle hydroplane at that speed (except the motorcycle on bald tires but apples and oranges)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
You should read the part where we said you're running with your tire inflation too high. :thumbup

You should be running about 10psig lower than you are. I can almost guarantee you that it'll be much better to drive. These trucks will get through almost anything given the right tires, driver, experience, etc. Trust me, I just did about 65mph past people this evening driving ~15mph in snow and ice. The Bronco isn't the problem.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
You should read the part where we said you're running with your tire inflation too high. :thumbup

You should be running about 10psig lower than you are. I can almost guarantee you that it'll be much better to drive. These trucks will get through almost anything given the right tires, driver, experience, etc. Trust me, I just did about 65mph past people this evening driving ~15mph in snow and ice. The Bronco isn't the problem.
Agreed :thumbup

1 - 20 of 52 Posts