Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 84 FSB and I was wondering if I took it out to some sand dunes if it would do ok. Its lifted and has 35 inch tires I'm just worried the weight of it is going to make it get stuck. I'm new to this thing and was just wondering how broncos handled in the sand

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
I recently bought a 84 FSB and I was wondering if I took it out to some sand dunes if it would do ok. Its lifted and has 35 inch tires I'm just worried the weight of it is going to make it get stuck. I'm new to this thing and was just wondering how broncos handled in the sand
You’ll be fine. Air down your tires to about 12-15 psi though. This many Broncos can’t be wrong!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,594 Posts
You’ll be fine. Air down your tires to about 12-15 psi though. This many Broncos can’t be wrong!
Yes they can! I don’t see one mud hole :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
943 Posts
As stated above, get a portable 12v air compressor so you can let air out of your tires then air them back up for the drive home, and just get out there. Getting comfortable and familiar with how your rig performs will get you farther than anything I can tell you to do to the Bronco

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,862 Posts
That is actually not true. Not sure when the above photo was taken but there were/are spots at those dunes with mud, they did close some of them off though. There is many water holes with almost quicksand consistencey in the bottom too.
So my advice is to stay out of water while duning....

As mentioned bronco's do great in the sand. If your stilll with stock gearing make sure to be in 4 lo likely the whole time. It will need it. Also what kind of tires? A/T's are usually better at the power level typical in most Broncos (including mine)

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts
Yo t,
Along with a valid permit, if you want to drive on the beach in NJ to go fishing you are required to have the following equipment in your vehicle:
1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8) Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.
A current tide chart is highly recommended. Jumper cables for the vehicle's specific battery type are also recommended.
You can obtain additional information about beach driving permits by calling the park at (732)793-0506.
If you would like to learn more about driving a vehicle on the beach you should visit the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association website.

In

Planning your visit
RECREATION
swimming
surf fishing
hiking
bicycle riding
kayaking
surfing
scuba diving
horseback riding
driving on the beach
OTHER INFORMATION
Driving Directions
Handicap Access
Pets
Insects, poison ivy, and jellyfish
Site Map

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Rosser,

I saw a kid get his Jeep stuck at our beach the other day trying to tow out a boat. It wasn't the Jeep's fault though, he just didn't have a clue. He was hitting the gas with his tires at street pressure. The day ended with a tow truck hauling him out on a winch, and a police officer saying "This is why it's illegal to drive on the beach!" Ship of fools. It's not a big deal, and it should be a free country to lose your Jeep to the tide and pay for the removal if that's what you want to do.

So to not be like him:
1. Air down like some guys have mentioned.
2. If you get stuck, STOP. Don't dig a bigger hole spinning the tires
3. Air down more (you can go to 5 psi or so to get unstuck). How low you can go safely depends on your tire/rim combo.
4. If you're still stuck, try using a traction board. Bring a full size shovel. Excavate and back fill around the stuck tires and work a sturdy board, length of plywood, etc. in under the wheel. Look up MaxTrax and how they're used. That's the effect you're going for.
5. If you're stuck and on a sideways hill, point the steering downhill to help the truck out.

Have fun!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bring a full size shovel just in case, but as many have said, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,594 Posts
We got more dirt rain and mud then dunes here, I have driven in the beach to launch kayaks, not with the FSB though it’s got 33/9.50 15’s one suggestion I’ll give you find soft sand away from the surf, take some friends with 4X4’s, intentionally get it stuck! I mean BURY THE THING! No really then get it unstuck (helps if the guys your with already know how to unstick a truck). You’ll learn how easy it is to get stuck and get the know how on getting it out. There’s a couple deep mud holes I know that I use to teach guys how to get unstuck, as well as proper techniques to not get stuck in the first place. But above all have fun and be safe, life’s to short to worry about the small “stuck”!

Reactions: Weber

·
Registered
379 Posts
Going with a buddy that can pull you out isn't a bad idea....at least for the first few times anyway

·
Registered
813 Posts
Bronco's are great in the sand, I go to the Beach just about every weekend. I have never needed to use 4 wheel low and to be honest if I am not gonna play in the sand I really don't have to air down, just follow the compacted tracks but it's more "work" this way. The only thing to look out for 12-15 psi might be to low of air pressure, the recommendation is half of the psi marked on the tire.
IMG_20190921_153514853_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bronco's are great in the sand, I go to the Beach just about every weekend. I have never needed to use 4 wheel low and to be honest if I am not gonna play in the sand I really don't have to air down, just follow the compacted tracks but it's more "work" this way. The only thing to look out for 12-15 psi might be to low of air pressure, the recommendation is half of the psi marked on the tire. View attachment 164297
That's a good looking beach truck 🦈

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,676 Posts
Wheel speed is your friend. Until you stop. Then its about feathering the throttle to get rolling again.

Dont stop near the top of the dune. Keep going or you'll likely spin tires and dig to china.

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Having a couple good recovery points on the bronco and a snatch strap is a wise idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts