Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 bronco with a 351, at low rpm's it will start bucking or surging. not sure what the problem is. does anyone have any ideas. Also when i come to a stop and then go to take off, there is a thump in the rear. Thanks for any help.

Bobby

·
Registered
550 Posts
haas77 said:
i have a 96 bronco with a 351, at low rpm's it will start bucking or surging. not sure what the problem is. does anyone have any ideas. Also when i come to a stop and then go to take off, there is a thump in the rear. Thanks for any help.

Bobby
More details about the low rpm's bucking or surging needed.
Under what sort of situation does this occur? For instance, accelerating from a stop? Coming to a stop? Idling in gear? etc.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Push the clutch in.

I'd check u-joints for the bump in the back, cheapest things to replace.

Shut the truck off, roll under the truck and try to turn the rear drive shaft with your hands, there should be only minimal play in it. If you get alot of play, it's time for u-joints.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Also check the backlash in the rear end. Excessive backlash will also cause a low rpm/low speed bucking.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
It is because the bronco wants to run and your holding him back. Punch it dude. lol Sorry no help here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the bronco is an auto, and when i took it to a mechanic about the ujoints he said it has a speed velocity drive shaft, or something to that effect and would have to be rebuilt if needed. but he said the u joints seem fine.

As for the surging. i will be driving about 25mph, just holding speed. not really accelerating and sometimes it will start surging but if i give it gas it will stop. Do you think someone has bumped the timing to much. i hope that helps a little

Bobby

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
First off, check for codes, and if the mechanic said your u-joints are fine than maybe your rear end has too much play/backlash.
I've noticed, though, to be sure it is not the u-joints, you have to drop the driveshaft, that is just my opinion, second..............................
did you search? :toothless

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for all your advice, put new plugs and wires in, that seemed to fix the bucking/surging problems. the thump sound i believe is in the shocks. at least i think. ill let you know when i change them.

Bobby

And yes i did search.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Before replacing your shocks, do a search for "lube slip joint" and you will find details on how it's done. My bronco was doing the same clunking noise, so I re-greased the slip joint and it's as good as new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok.. lets try here.. I have an 88 FS Bronco 302 engine, about 3 months ago it started Bucking and surging, from 700-2800 rpm and back and forth up and down ect. now I checked everything EGR, TPS, replaced TFI wires and plugs, cleared codes no codes now but still surging when first cranked up and then driving once in a while still surging.
took to a Mechanic for 2 weeks he checked it still doing it hes out of options,
Please Help!!
Thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.