Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Shear Bolts
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took friggin long enough, but finally finally everythings fixed. I have had enough of the brake lines crumbling to dust as I tried to replace them. Been thinking for a while I can't replace the head gasket on my own. I'm tired of driving a Purple Hyundai with a bumper sticker that says "Forget Your Troubles and Dance!"... That's the girlfriend's and it's a Bob Marley quote but nevertheless, I'm tired of getting clowned on for it. It was tax time and the bastards at the IRS didn't so much smile on us as they just didn't frown as hard this year. So I took it to my shop.

This thread now needs pics but I don't have any..

So a few weeks ago, I got out of class early and had my GF meet me at my Mom's house (where the truck's been). I started it up, did a 360 to make sure all lights worked and got it warmed up. I knew it'd have a lack of power d/t the head gasket, which I figured out from the excess of white smoke in the exhaust thinking "antifreeze is getting into the cylinders." So I inform Michelle I'll be going nice and slow, with the 4-way flashers on. Headlights, taillights, flashers. I get pulled out of the driveway and head up the road, 4 miles to the shop. Cruising along, 25 MPH, no traffic at 9:30 at night. About a mile down the highway, I'm having issues. Unknown cause, I'm just thinking "Dammit, I drove this home and that was over 5 miles @#$(*&^@#!!!!!!!!1" Long story short here, had to get it towed, which I half anticipated, so I had a cupon in with my registration. I know, you're wondering what kind of an ass has cupons for that? Funny thing though, as I'm waiting for this tow truck, some jerk in a K5 blazer drives by, window down, hollering "FOOORRRRD!" I swear I'm gonna cut that bastard if I ever find him, it wasn't the Ford's fault I drove it w/ a blown head gasket. Tow truck arrives, to the shop it goed'.

The next day I call the shop and let them know what I think and where they might start looking or whatever... I said "Head Gaskets, Ignition Switch, Alternator, Brakes." They call back saying they got the Ignition Switch and Brakes fixed But they'll have to take the engine apart a little to further diagnose it. A while later, they call and say the left side head is cracked. Oh snap.

I found a 5.8 from a 92 F150 and had that put in, with a few parts and gaskets replaced and a general tune-up. Thursday he called and said it's ready. Yesterday the GF picked it up while I was at work. I didn't get to drive it much last night cause my girl's been laid up in bed sick for a few days now and I owed her for going out to get the truck, so I stayed home and took care of her.

Today I didn't drive a Purple Hyundai to work. If I hear anything about that again from anyone else again at my department, I'll run over their car. My first bumper sticker for the truck is going to say "I Don't Fxcking Dance!" The second will be FSB. There's still issues but it's my DD now. Til summer, then I'll have to ride the bike everywhere to counter the milage I'll be getting now.

Anyone want to suggest what the first upgrade should be?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'd say 3G and/or sixlitre's ignition upgrade first. After that probably the saginaw power steering pump... Those are kind of the "cliche" upgrades around here. Oh yeah, it's debated I guess, but the F350 brake upgrade (booster and then wheel and master cylinders if you want) is good too.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
So the head was cracked and you replaced the whole engine?

·
I Shear Bolts
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 3g and ignition will happen before summer, right now I gotta save up to fly out to Sacramento for my dad's wedding in may. Tires are also a concern soon cause there's only 1/4 tread left. Hopefully time it out so I hit 4wheelparts' pro comp deal at the end of april. And I still have the stock motor, some new heads on it and I'll have a spare.

I've been driving around town today, looking for any excuse I can to get out and drive and this truck's fun as hell. Gotta say I like it! I'm glad to have saved a Bronco from certain rusty doom.

·
I Shear Bolts
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the engine was only $500 and I looked around for heads. Local junkyards were a joke and I got the new engine in case there was anything else wrong with the motor they didn't see. When they saw cracked heads, they stopped looking further until I told them what I wanted to do. I didn't want them to fix the heads and then find a cracked block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts