Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll I'm a newbie here but I have a 1988 Bronco, EFI, 351W. I have been having problems recently where I could be driving along and it'll just die. If I keep up the revs it runs but rough and as soon as the revs drop or idles it'll die. I usually will have to push in the break and press the gas to about 2,000 RPM to keep it running. I am stumped on what to do. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil, rotor, rotor cap, etc..... I have been told try the air bypass valve? The temp is always in the normal range so I ruled out vapor lock. If I'm very easy on it it'll run for a while longer. Any thoughts? Need help:wacko .....it is my daily driver and only driver.

Austin

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree it could be the fuel pressure regulator. However, it may also be your inertia switch. Most vehicles when you change your fuel filter suggest you "depressurize" the fuel system. Literally, that switches only perhaps is to depressurize the system to cut the fuel off from the engine...to drain the system. I know, for instance, on mine there's literally a switch mechanism under a kickplate on the passenger side (they can also be on the driver's side against the firewall left of the gas pedal). Now if you can find it take a visual check to see if the red cap is pushed up or pushed down or hanging somwhere in limbo. If in limbo or pushed up then it's easy enough to just push it back down all the way...if it's down then more than likely it's an electrical problem in the regulator it's self and it needs to be replaced. I agree with purchasing a haynes manual for that vehicle, if you don't already have one and figure out how to get the codes, but in the mean time it may be worth investigating that switch. Just my two cents...probably wrong but I thought I'd give another option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.