Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
91 Bronco, 351 lightning motor, 6 inch lift 35inch tires
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a lightning truck for 750. All I want is the motor. Fired it up for the first time today. Runs great. That lightning 351 will go in place of my 91 302

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
754 Posts
I have a '94 Bronco XLT I'd like to drop a Lightning 5.8 into it.om following your thread here...

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts
Those interior parts are worth some money from that Lightning. The seats, cluster, and a few other parts are all Lightning only, but yet fit other OBS trucks. Example the Speedo goes to 120 (I think) on those. And the Tach has a different look to it. The seats are also some of the nicest direct bolt in ones you can get (assuming they are decent still) for a bronco.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For real? There was a lighntning model of the Bronco?
How many HP was the engine rated for?

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
754 Posts
No Lightning Broncos as the F150 Lightnings were 2WD. The original Lightning motors were rated at 240HP. Standard 5.8s were rated at 200 so it was a nice bump but nothing by today's standards.

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
The intake is really the only good part on a lightning engine. Heads are decent.

Be a shame to destroy a first gen lightning just for 40 horsepower.... but that's just my opinion without seeing the rest of the lightning.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
No Lightning Broncos as the F150 Lightnings were 2WD. The original Lightning motors were rated at 240HP. Standard 5.8s were rated at 200 so it was a nice bump but nothing by today's standards.
Pretty sure my Traiblazer's 4.2 makes more power than that. Modern engines blow our old small blocks out of the water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice score for $750 for running Gen 1 Lightning. Although the GT40 EFI stuff is cool, the Lightning 351 in stock form is kinda pathetic, and nothing to write home about.Headers. gt40 heads. And still stay speed density. That 351 will move the truck. If I want more, I'll look at 410 or 454 gears. I can do crazy stuff with the lightning Roller block and a maf conversion down the road if I want to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a lift and 35 inch tires. And a 5.0 engine. It's no replacement for displacement. I'll sell that carcass for what I have in it. Free 351 motor is well worth writing home about.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those interior parts are worth some money from that Lightning. The seats, cluster, and a few other parts are all Lightning only, but yet fit other OBS trucks. Example the Speedo goes to 120 (I think) on those. And the Tach has a different look to it. The seats are also some of the nicest direct bolt in ones you can get (assuming they are decent still) for a bronco.
I prefer the bronco captain seats with the arm rest

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The intake is really the only good part on a lightning engine. Heads are decent.

Be a shame to destroy a first gen lightning just for 40 horsepower.... but that's just my opinion without seeing the rest of the lightning.
It's a turd. The trans went out. Needs new driver door hinges, so sitting, it took on water inside. Stinks like flood now. I purchased for the motor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's got header exhaust. gt40 heads. And the intake is more for mustang guys than truck guys. Truck intake with squares is way bettern that lightning intake. for trucks. Lightning intake is for higher revs. That's why the put a 410 gear under it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a '94 Bronco XLT I'd like to drop a Lightning 5.8 into it.om following your thread here...
Desert, my truck is 91. I found a used lower 351 intake and plan to use my 5.0 upper on it. I'm not using the lightning intake, as plumbing and wire splice would be required. basically, it's a 351 with gt 40 heads, short headers and everything up top will be the same. Change the distributor gear from lightning dizzy over to 5.0 dizzy. Ssme computer that's in the 5.0. Done. The truck intakes with the square holes are the best bang for buck when it comes to torque in a truck. It ain't a mustang.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But thanks for the encouragement. haters out here

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice score for $750 for running Gen 1 Lightning. Although the GT40 EFI stuff is cool, the Lightning 351 in stock form is kinda pathetic, and nothing to write home about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What does your truck have in it. How does it look. What are you going to write home about.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

How great do you think the truck is if I hot or for 750

1 - 20 of 63 Posts