Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts
I prefer the bronco captain seats with the arm rest
Yeah I am saying sell those seats, if they are still in good shape. Last set I even saw for sale went for 500/600

·
Registered
132 Posts
I told you you got a great deal, and you can do whatever swap you want. I stand by my opinion (and many others) that the Lightning 351 in stock form is a polished turd. It has more potential but Ford left a lot on the table at 240 hp. The GT50 intake is where the extra 40 hp comes from. Remove it, and you might as well swap in any 351 from that era.

Since you asked, my late bronco is a white 96, 351w currently at 91,000k. When the time comes, I will rebuild it with lightning GT40 intakes, worked over GT40 heads, a good cam, a free flow exhaust with headers, and Moates tuned for the mass air. I want to get the most out of Gen 1 Lightning era 351w roller block, and get into the 300 plus reliable horse power/torque range. Where it should have been from the factory, in my restated opinion.

We are not hating on you. If anything, we are lamenting at the power capabilities left on the table by Gen 1 Lightning engineers. Many folks are under the impression the Lightning 351 is more than the 240hp at peak than it really is.

Again, awesome score for $750. I would have jumped on it at twice the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
How great do you think the truck is if I hot or for 750
Easy now, I never saw the 750 part. Many of us have been here a long time and have seen this same thing 10 times.

Now as for your views on the intake... the truck 351 lower absolutely sucks if you plan on adding any power. The small difference in design between the two doesnt equate to much, until you start adding heads, a cam, and more compression. For the factory engine, yes, the 351 truck intake is adequate. It is NOT as good as the 302 truck intake.

If you plan on making any power at all, the tubular lightning intake or the edelbrock are the best truck options.

Did I miss what year the lightning is too? Does it even have a roller block? A simple cam swap on a roller F4TE block will yield more power than a lightning swap, even with the crappy intake. I do see that you are moving from a 302, and yeah it will be a small improvement, as well as benefiting from a bit lower power band with the longer stroke of the 351. I dont want you or anyone else thinking that putting a lightning engine in a bronco will make it perform like a lightning on the street.

Do you plan on doing anything to the 351, or just dropping it in?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are you just going to drop the engine in, or freshen it up a bit first?

lol I posted before seeing BB94's last question directly above.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Now would be the time to swap the flat tappet Lightning block for an F150/Bronco roller block.
May need to swap out pushrods/rockers too, not sure?

And check out some of the DIY GT40 head porting videos out there!
Many of them will walk you through the porting step by step.
Though, a decent porting bit & rolls + a Dremel on steroids (or whatever they are called) will probably run a couple bucks.

Man, that Lightning upper/lower intake alone are worth more than what you paid for the truck!

·
Man of endless projects
9,045 Posts
^ i was about to say the Lightning intake sells for more than the whole truck.

but honestly the Lightnings were underpowered. they did have GT40 heads and intake that did help over stock truck 351. but they actually have a below-average flat-tappet cam, i guess to raise rpm range but to pass emmisions. they do have 4.10 gearing in the axle that with 30" tires to make it feel like it had more power.

they made [email protected] and 340ft/[email protected]
normal 351 made [email protected] and 325ft/[email protected]
so they made 30hp but at 600rpm more and 15 ft/lb at 400rpm more. so they like rpm more than a standard truck. a decent cam however would help alot

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh man I would love to find a gen 1 lightining in that condition and for that price. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
91 Bronco, 351 lightning motor, 6 inch lift 35inch tires
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Easy now, I never saw the 750 part. Many of us have been here a long time and have seen this same thing 10 times.

Now as for your views on the intake... the truck 351 lower absolutely sucks if you plan on adding any power. The small difference in design between the two doesnt equate to much, until you start adding heads, a cam, and more compression. For the factory engine, yes, the 351 truck intake is adequate. It is NOT as good as the 302 truck intake.

If you plan on making any power at all, the tubular lightning intake or the edelbrock are the best truck options.

Did I miss what year the lightning is too? Does it even have a roller block? A simple cam swap on a roller F4TE block will yield more power than a lightning swap, even with the crappy intake. I do see that you are moving from a 302, and yeah it will be a small improvement, as well as benefiting from a bit lower power band with the longer stroke of the 351. I dont want you or anyone else thinking that putting a lightning engine in a bronco will make it perform like a lightning on the street.

Do you plan on doing anything to the 351, or just dropping it in?
I know it's not a mustang, 94 lightning, I originally was going to use the whole engine, but after looking at changing wiring and throttle cable etc too much pain in ass for little gain. Just going to a bigger motor is good for now. I just want it in there and rolling for now. 35 inch tires, I'm curious if I'd be better to leave that thing stock and move up to 4.10 gears. I'm thinking I'd like to spend the 1000 bucks for fiveology mass air. Then i could do more to the engine. If I do anything to the engine now, it would have to be speed density friendly. I'm not sure what I want to do. It is a roller block. Been working on the truck for 2 years now. Nearing the end and would like to see it on the road. Also, a little scared to spend $ right now

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know it's not a mustang, 94 lightning, I originally was going to use the whole engine, but after looking at changing wiring and throttle cable etc too much pain in ass for little gain. Just going to a bigger motor is good for now. I just want it in there and rolling for now. 35 inch tires, I'm curious if I'd be better to leave that thing stock and move up to 4.10 gears. I'm thinking I'd like to spend the 1000 bucks for fiveology mass air. Then i could do more to the engine. If I do anything to the engine now, it would have to be speed density friendly. I'm not sure what I want to do. It is a roller block. Been working on the truck for 2 years now. Nearing the end and would like to see it on the road. Also, a little scared to spend $ right now
I do have an engine builder guy owes me a favor. What are your thoughts blue? While the engine is out?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
4.10s will really wake it up. 4.56 even more so. 4.56 is what you should have with 35"s anyways.

There are cams that are good and speed density friendly. Comp 35-512-8 and 35-514-8 both work and are quite gnarly for a SD engine.

While the engine is out, I'd have it gone over, and freshened up. 210hp with proper gearing is plenty for most things.

I had 3.55s and 37"s and it was a dog. Added 100hp and 150 ft/lbs and it was still a dog, but better. Switched to 4.88 gears, and wow. I could actually feel those extra horses.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
4.10s will really wake it up. 4.56 even more so. 4.56 is what you should have with 35"s anyways.

There are cams that are good and speed density friendly. Comp 35-512-8 and 35-514-8 both work and are quite gnarly for a SD engine.

While the engine is out, I'd have it gone over, and freshened up. 210hp with proper gearing is plenty for most things.

I had 3.55s and 37"s and it was a dog. Added 100hp and 150 ft/lbs and it was still a dog, but better. Switched to 4.88 gears, and wow. I could actually feel those extra horses.
4.56 and I could still do the interstate? And you would stay with the flat tappett?

·
Addicted to Junk
11,935 Posts
4.56 and I could still do the interstate? And you would stay with the flat tappett?
Oh absolutely. I was running the 4.88s with 37s and an e4od and could do 100mph. Rpms were very close to stock with that combo. My current 85 has 4.56, 37s, and no overdrive and will still do 90+ mph. Though rpms are at 3500 at that point. Now if you put 4.56s in with say 31" tires, you would have a lower top speed, but would get to it much faster.

The 94 block could already have a roller cam in it. It's at least prepped for a roller cam, which those two I suggested are rollers. Either way, flat tappet or roller isnt that big of a difference for a mild engine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm thinking I'd like to spend the 1000 bucks for fiveology mass air. Then i could do more to the engine. If I do anything to the engine now, it would have to be speed density friendly.
Moving from the 302 to a 351, you are either going to need to swap the ECM or stick a milder cam in either way.

Honestly in one of those "do as I say, not as I did" moments, take the money you saved buying the truck and get the Fiveology conversion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The intake is really the only good part on a lightning engine. Heads are decent.

Be a shame to destroy a first gen lightning just for 40 horsepower.... but that's just my opinion without seeing the rest of the lightning.
I'm looking and looking it seems the factory 351 intake has the circles not the squares, if that is the case I either need to buy aftermarket, or try and use the lightning intake. From 94. On my 91. The lightning computer wont work for my 91 I dont think. But the tps has the same connector the iac and the egr has the same connector. Looks like I could just extent my wires

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
11,935 Posts
I'm no good on the computer side of things..

But yes, the 351 got saddled with the crappy oval runners, where the 302 got the big squares. That's what I was trying to get at earlier.

Theres only one truck intake on the market and that's the edelbrock. It's a great intake. Both it and the lightning flow about the same from what I've heard. I had the edelbrock and loved it. It was on AFR165 heads with a full race port job, comp 35-512-8 cam, and at 10.5:1 compression. Desktop dynoed at 340 hp and 475 ft/lbs @ 5600 and 2000 rpms, respectively. I never saw that, as I ran it on the factory speed density tune and fuel injection. But it was a massive improvement over stock, once I got the gears swapped.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well the eddie is 1000 bucks. And I have a lightning upper and lower already on it. I think I'll try and make it work. Spend that $elsewhere

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great find on the Lighting!
I might have a spare 5.8 truck upper and lower with fuel rail hiding on the shelf.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I might have a spare 5.8 truck upper and lower with fuel rail hiding on the shelf.
An aftermarket set? I'm gonna clean up the motor a little, do some gaskets. I'm not even takin the heads off. I'm a throw it in my bronco and see if I can make the lightning intake work. Just need a 91 351 eec

·
Eric
2,577 Posts
This thread kinda makes me want to see one of the supercharged Lightning motors in a BKO. It would've been the first "Raptor" off-road vehicle by Ford, if it were done in the '90's. The Lightning could've been the "street truck" and the BKO could've been a first-gen Raptor for the wheelers. Maybe a slightly different cam for a profiled TQ curve lower in the power band.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just a stock intake setup from a 5.8.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts