Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
91 Bronco, 351 lightning motor, 6 inch lift 35inch tires
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have a '94 Bronco XLT I'd like to drop a Lightning 5.8 into it.om following your thread here...
Being as you already have the 94, you could use everything including the lightning computer I think. I'm only a little bit worried as I'm a 91. But all the sensors seem to be the same in mine. I'll let you know

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Easy now, I never saw the 750 part. Many of us have been here a long time and have seen this same thing 10 times.

Now as for your views on the intake... the truck 351 lower absolutely sucks if you plan on adding any power. The small difference in design between the two doesnt equate to much, until you start adding heads, a cam, and more compression. For the factory engine, yes, the 351 truck intake is adequate. It is NOT as good as the 302 truck intake.

If you plan on making any power at all, the tubular lightning intake or the edelbrock are the best truck options.

Did I miss what year the lightning is too? Does it even have a roller block? A simple cam swap on a roller F4TE block will yield more power than a lightning swap, even with the crappy intake. I do see that you are moving from a 302, and yeah it will be a small improvement, as well as benefiting from a bit lower power band with the longer stroke of the 351. I dont want you or anyone else thinking that putting a lightning engine in a bronco will make it perform like a lightning on the street.

Do you plan on doing anything to the 351, or just dropping it in?
I'm bouncing ideas around as to what cam I want. I wonder if the edelbroch performer intake would be better for a big heavy bronco than the lightning intake. it would definitely be an easier install. Any opinions?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
I like the eddy intake. Its plenum is huge, and its runners large. It flows well. You can also remove the plenum side plate to do any modifications you desire.

I dont recall the specifics of your engine, but my go to cam for speed density 351s is comp 35-512-8. It's about as aggressive as the SD system likes to see. Schneider racing also has some that will work. I have one of their sticks in my 300. The single most important factor is an LSA of 114° or more for SD. That and lift under .500 (which usually keeps durations in spec)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
And would I still have decent vacuum for brake booster?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Some one just offr up a 35 514 8 what you think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
This lobe is 112 and lift is like 555. Goes against everything you just said

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
4.10s will really wake it up. 4.56 even more so. 4.56 is what you should have with 35"s anyways.

There are cams that are good and speed density friendly. Comp 35-512-8 and 35-514-8 both work and are quite gnarly for a SD engine.

While the engine is out, I'd have it gone over, and freshened up. 210hp with proper gearing is plenty for most things.

I had 3.55s and 37"s and it was a dog. Added 100hp and 150 ft/lbs and it was still a dog, but better. Switched to 4.88 gears, and wow. I could actually feel those extra horses.
you guys have watched me go back and forth. Blue. I'm thankful for your knowledge. so. I sold the carcass for 400. I'll sell the intake for 500. But the guy wants 250 for the 35 514. I was lookin at eddy intake before it all started. I ain't makin a profit. But I ain't losing nuttin. I'm a buy the eddy intake, itll be easier than trying to go lightning. plug and play. I'll trade the intake for 250 plus the cam. When it's all said and done I end up with a free 351 roller block. And I'll let my guy freshen up the motor first. Stay speed density for now. I'll have an eddy intake a cam for 1100 bucks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Does that cam drop right in, with my flat tappet? Or do I gotta buy dog bones and roller lifters?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,935 Posts
It says f4te. That's a roller
Yep, that's a roller block. See the two threaded bosses in the lifter valley? That's where the spider bolts in that holds the dog bones in place.

I'd try getting a bit more for the lightning intake if you can. Though your current deal is not bad by any means. When I desktop dynoed my own 351w with that cam, the graph started at 2000 rpm. At that point I was putting out Max torque of 475 ft lbs. I had ported AFR165 heads and about 10.5 to 1 compression. As soon as I touched the throttle, the engine roared to life. I wish I'd gotten a chance to tune it properly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well. I apologize to everyone in this thread for going back and forth on this. And trying to pinch pennies. I just ordered the fivology mass air kit and the edelbrock upper and lower. Technically the only thing lightning will be the block and headers. But now I am able to go with a little bit more aggressive cam...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'll see what my engine builder guy has to offer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Keep us updated. I'm interested in the Fiveology part of your install. I still have most of mine in the box.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts