Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, is it just me or does everyone have too much fun once you've entered the Bronco Mania Zone? Purchased my 96 last month and all I can think of is how I can make my GOOD running Bronco run even better. Being addicted to this forum hasn't helped one bit! Repairs needed (expensive ball joints) have taken a back seat to less expensive fun additions I discover while perusing this forum for most of my waking hours (course these are adding up): my priorities are out of sinc:

Seafoamed today, after finally getting vacuum line off brake booster all went smoothly. Just enough smoke to send signals out to the neighborhood. After driving a while I noticed my operating temperature was slightly lower (between the N and O). After two over heating service calls and about $700 my first two weeks of ownership, I had been steady on the M. Too low???

Six liter tune up the next day or so as parts arrive from Summit. Pass side plugs look impossible to get to. Any help? Have replaced stock muffler with performance brand, all I could afford at the time.

A must do.... my tailgate latch rods need replacing. Tailgate almost impossible to open because rods are bent. Is this as hard as it looks?

Can't wait till I get to the cosmetics...seat covers, new carpet, paintless dent repair. I need a pass. armrest, can't locate one for the life of me. Leads would be appreciated.

Ball joint estimates (all 4) have ranged from $550 to $1,100. The low bid comes from what appears a reputabale shop, no BBB complaints. I asked twice if this was all inclusive, twice they said yes (have it in writing). Too low? Next bid was around $800.

Surely, in the long run this addiction will cost less than becoming an alcoholic or taking up golf. Have to justify to my wife somehow!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
First thing is you have to do your own work like ball joints. I had to do one side right off the bat to pass inspection to license it.
Not fun but $60 vs $600 I'll get over it.
Yes it's addicting and I usually over do it at the beginning before the newness wears off.
Follow me down the path from hobby to obsession.

The very next day after I got my Bronco I changed every fluid and filter and wearable part I could buy.

Next week I figured if the EB had and OHC the Sport should to so I pulled out the headliner and put this in.

Then i thought it's a 4wd, so it needs to do that and do it good. Not this open diff stuff. So in went $1000 worth of truetracs

Blew the next grand on the Edelbrock intake and bbk 61mm throttle body

But why stop there, if you get the air in you need to get it out. So some ceramic coated headers for some flow

freed up the exhaust from the headers back to the magnaflow muffler

This doesn't even include all the little stuff like new tailgate straps, new door bushings and pins, the MSD coil, the extra tranny cooler, the new tires.

All this and it doesn't even look like anything but a stock bronco. Think if I put the big tires and lift kits on it like most guys? SAS swap.

Is it fun. Yes. Do you look back and go where the heck did all my money go? Uh it's better not to look back.

And that my friend is what's going to happen if you don't nip this thing in the bud before it becomes and obession. :thumbup

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My gosh Aaron, thought I had it bad!

You did your ball joints? How mechanically inclined are you? Thought I was doing well to change the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I removed the plastic fender well to get to my spark plugs...that made it almost to easy! Not nearly as hard or time consuming as it sounds, takes about 15 min to remove

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Ball joints aren't all that bad. I'd bet, though, that the low-ball shop is probably planning on reusing your wheel bearings, spindle bearings, etc. The only parts they're replacing are the ball joints, then they'll throw whatever came out of the hubs back in.

FWIW, I spent about $550 for ball joints (upper and lower, both sides), wheel bearings (inner and outer, both sides), spindle bearings (both sides), WARN Premium Manual Hubs, all necessary seals, tools (torque wrench, castle socket, ball joint press, picks), brake pads, and a 12-pack of Bud Light. The majority of the cost was the ball joints and WARN hubs. I dove into the project to replace wheel bearings, but figured that while I had it apart that far I might as well get to the ball joints, too.

It took me all of a weekend and some four-letter vivid adjectives in the driveway to do the same work that would have cost me $1500+ to have a shop do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My gosh Aaron, thought I had it bad!

You did your ball joints? How mechanically inclined are you? Thought I was doing well to change the thermostat.
I reused everything axle bearingwise, just wiped all the old dried gunk off and re-greased it.

My ball joints wouldn't budge with a slege hammer or a tourch or a pickler fork. The key was to take a $20 harbor freight grinder with a cutting wheel and cut them off.
That got them cherry red also and they almost fell out once I hit them after that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My ball joints wouldn't budge with a slege hammer or a tourch or a pickler fork. The key was to take a $20 harbor freight grinder with a cutting wheel and cut them off.
That got them cherry red also and they almost fell out once I hit them after that.
thats a genius idea, i bent a ball joint press from autozone doing mine so i only got one side done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts