Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird or common....?

The 94 Bronco I just picked up is eqipped with factory Mass Air! It's a 94 XLT 5.0 4x4 auto...

Is this rare or common to have factory mass air on a 94?

I've only seen 96's or later 95's with mass air. Was there a production start time frame in which the Bronco's had mass air right from the factory?

Call me silly - I just thought it's weird that it does have mass air already being a 94...

I know on the Mustangs, mass air did not start until mid 89 and the Ford trucks were much later.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i dont know but my 94 has mass air

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine too but I have Cali. emissions. Where is the sensors for Mass air or whatever extra equipement Mass air gives? I was told my truck definently has Mass air but I have no clue what it is.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
I'm pretty sure 94 is when they started putting it on trucks and Broncos. Probably all the Cali emissions ones.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bronco lover said:
Mine too but I have Cali. emissions. Where is the sensors for Mass air or whatever extra equipement Mass air gives? I was told my truck definently has Mass air but I have no clue what it is.
pop your hood
look over to your right at the airbox assembly

if you have factory mass air, you should see the same thing as depicted in this picture from another thread on here:

More so, you should have the metal aluminum mass air meter with a connector plugged into the top of it. This meter w/sensor is located between the airbox and the large rubber hose.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My truck is definently California emissions equipped ( stickers on the hood), Is a 94 and does not have that at all, It is just like every other Bronco under the hood. I am confused now

·
Registered
559 Posts
Steve83 said:
What's the build date from the door sticker, and the 8th & 10th digits of your VIN? Did you buy it new?
I believe the build date is 10/93, 8th is H and 10th is R. No I did not buy it new. But according to carfax it was bought new in California and it has the sticker under the hood for California emissions.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Steve83 said:
Only CA-emissions '94-95s got EEC-IV MAF. All '96s were OBD-II MAF.
I bought my Bronco from the original owner who ordered it from Freedom Ford in Norfolk Va. and it has factory mass air, it was never intended to be a Ca. vehicle.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
mines a 95 my moms friend bought new and it has mass air.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Your engine has two ways of metering fuel. SD (Speed Density) and MAF (Mass Air Flow) Speed density, where the computer uses an imprecise method of figuring out how much fuel to use, and Mass Air Flow, which can measure the exact amount of air entering the engine.

MAF also means you have SEFI (Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection) where your injectors are fired individually for each cylinder, and SD where the injectors are bank fired (2 banks of 4 injectors, the inner four injectors fire, then the outer four injectors fire) meaning that 4 injectors are fired at a time. Even though 3 of the 4 injectors aren't spraying to a cylinder on its intake stroke (which i still wanna friggin know more about, whether or not there's a bit of fuel being wasted there...common sense would say yes, please someone think about this for a second and back me up :banghead )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts