Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco 351w E40D
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up FSB family! Just got my first Bronco. A '95 351 E40D.

Was hoping that I could tap you guys for some help here:

Pre-purchase inspection addressed that the truck needed some trans work and that there was an apparent oil pan gasket leak.

Truck was shifting quite hard so I took it to a reputable trans shop in town who did a nice job rebuilding the trans. Truck drives extremely smooth now. They offered a 3-year warranty on the work.

I took it to another shop to do alignment and they offered to do a complimentary inspection. They come back with a long list of preventative & urgent items that they recommended be done. I expected the oil pan gasket leak to be diagnosed, however they come back and tell me that the rear main seal has a leak as well. I know that this type of leak is sometimes confused with the oil pan gasket, however this shop believes it's both components leaking. I called the trans shop about the rear main seal leak as they had already dropped the transmission so they should have been able to see that rear seal leak. He said that he was "confident that The rear main seal would have been addressed if it needed replacing”.

Is it possible that somewhere in their process of reinstalling the trans / mating it back with the engine that they could've messed up and created this new rear main seal leak? I'm trying to make the argument that if this leak started after their work was done, that they should cover it under my warranty.

What I would like to know is if this is a possibility at all before making claims against the shop and making a fool out of myself.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,778 Posts
If the tranny shop is as reputable as you say, I'd take their word..they work on one thing and I'm sure if they had seen a leaking rear main they would have mentioned it and doubtful they would have done anything to damage it when putting the tranny back in, but anything is possible..The shop where you got the alignment, if it's like all the others, they always have a laundry list of things that need fixing.That's just SOP and there is really no way to know for sure if it is the rear main until it's out or you replace the oil pan and see it's still leaking..

At the end of the day I'd start with the oil pan..that's the easier job to do, then if you're still having a leak talk to the tranny shop again..good luck.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,778 Posts
First, congrats on the new rig 👍
Second I'm only gonna comment on the legality end of your query... I'll leave the mechanical facts to those better versed in rear main seals to comment there...

So... If this were my rig, first thing I would do is trace the leaks. Put a piece of cardboard under the truck to see exactly where it's coming from. Trace it back to the source.

My first impression is that the shop that gave you the long list of to do items might be exaggerating a little...a trans shop with a good reputation didn't get that way by making mistakes or half assing jobs for future work.
If you suspect oil pan seal why wouldn't u just change it to eliminate one possible problem? It's the easiest fix you're gonna have to address sooner or later... And would definitively prove the main seal leak... It's at that point you can go back and argue with the tranny guys that they missed it or messed up and you would like it addressed under your warranty. Make sure it's actually included in your warranty tho because if it's not something that would generally be addressed during a tranny rebuild it won't be covered even if u think they caused the problem... But... It should also be mentioned on an itemized receipt that it was something they actually checked. If u can prove they actually checked it and it wasn't leaking before the tranny job then you have a good argument in a small claims suit to compel them to fix it at their expense because 1. It should have been checked/addressed and 2. Their repair potentially could have caused damage to the seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jermil01 and @BroncMom

Thank you both so much for your input. It sounds like your recommendations align and I now have a solid plan to at least eliminate one of the potential issues. Will update you guys with what we found out! Have an awesome weekend :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooh also here is a photo that the alignment shop (Christian Brothers Automotive Rufe Snow) provided of the leak that they found. Not sure if that helps at all, but thought I'd share.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
What's up FSB family! Just got my first Bronco. A '95 351 E40D.

Was hoping that I could tap you guys for some help here:

Pre-purchase inspection addressed that the truck needed some trans work and that there was an apparent oil pan gasket leak.

Truck was shifting quite hard so I took it to a reputable trans shop in town who did a nice job rebuilding the trans. Truck drives extremely smooth now. They offered a 3-year warranty on the work.

I took it to another shop to do alignment and they offered to do a complimentary inspection. They come back with a long list of preventative & urgent items that they recommended be done. I expected the oil pan gasket leak to be diagnosed, however they come back and tell me that the rear main seal has a leak as well. I know that this type of leak is sometimes confused with the oil pan gasket, however this shop believes it's both components leaking. I called the trans shop about the rear main seal leak as they had already dropped the transmission so they should have been able to see that rear seal leak. He said that he was "confident that The rear main seal would have been addressed if it needed replacing”.

Is it possible that somewhere in their process of reinstalling the trans / mating it back with the engine that they could've messed up and created this new rear main seal leak? I'm trying to make the argument that if this leak started after their work was done, that they should cover it under my warranty.

What I would like to know is if this is a possibility at all before making claims against the shop and making a fool out of myself.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
degrease the whole bottom of the engine. Once clean keep an eye on where exactly the oil is coming from

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@fordbronco1995 thank you will do this as well.

@fordbronco1995 @BroncMom @jermil01

Presumably if i were to get both the oil pan gasket and rear main seal replaced, are there any other parts/seals that I should replace while the tech is in there? The car hasn't had any major work done since I've purchased it, so are there any components that are known to fail? I know most of the labor is actually just moving the engine/tranny to get to those areas, so I'd like to have anything done while all that is out of the way.

Best,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you haven’t had it long it would be money ahead to drive it and see what else is wrong before committing to the pan gasket and rear main. I’m guessing those are going to be done with the engine out of the vehicle. I’d look at front main and valve covers while it’s out. But I gotta warn you that the list of things to fix when the engine is out can snowball on par with an avalanche.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
First off that picture looks like dirt, grime and some oil that formed over time. Do as stated above and clean the engine from below and above and start your observations from there. Keep a large piece of cardboard under your engine and you will see the leaks and get a better idea of where they are coming from. Trust no-one in the Automotive field, Trust is earned not a God Given Right, everybody is out to make money and if you fall for the BS that's on you. We are here to help and guide you on your Bronco journey and save you money whenever we can. I have the same bronco as you, I had oil leaks that seemed like they were coming from the Rear main seal and a few other places so I set out on a journey to fix the leaks and I started with the basics: I tightened the oil pan bolts and valve cover bolts and trans pan bolts "FREE". I then switched oil from a 5W/10W - 30 synthetic blend to a Full synthetic 5W-40 Delo 400 LE (Sorta free also). The biggest thing I did was to change the Oil Cooler O-Ring as I saw oil dripping when the engine was running and when It was being driven it was blowing to the rear of the engine and Trans looking like it was coming from the RMS area (this cost just the price of an O-ring and the correct size socket for the nipple under the filter). Now at 301K miles does my engine leak well yes but very little and not noticeable. Good luck in your Bronco journey!!!

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
166 Posts
Heres a pic of my 1996 bronco motor that was leaking oil from the back of the engine. Not sure from where tho.rear main seal looks ok on crank to seal surface but if someone scratched the block to seal surface that could also cause a leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts