Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill break this up a bit.my 89 broncos tranny went in it, and everything else followed, i had my brother look it over and were getting a new tranny in a week. and aperently my front end is completly screwed. but he was very veg in what caused what. my motor doesnt idle under 1200, it tries to die everytime, im not sure if thats the tranny or if a gasket let go, or the motors next to be replaced.

it only runs with my foot on it keeping it above 1000rpm, and then it seems like its miss firing and then trys to die. heres the kicker, doesnt always die, gets down BELOW 100RPM (yes, 100, one hundred) and then kicks back up to 1200 and then tries to die again. and obviosly dies instantly when in gear. any ideas.

and, tailgate, unrelated, but also decided to let go on me at the same time, the motors turnin, but nothins happenin, when i try to get it to go down, it clicks sometimes, like a ticking, but up does nothing, either way, the window doesnt move. motor? Gear? Regulator? whats goin on.

my truck is equiped with the ever popular and reliable ford push button 4wd:banghead. relays dont click on when i try to get it to go into low, is that a tranny thing? button thing? or am i just screwed all together? i know i should just swap it to a manual, but out of the question for now.

any help is appreciated, need this back into shape before jan 25th. thanks everyone.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
My head hurts...what are you asking?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
broke it up, the general idea is that shits broken. theres three things there that have stumped me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ill break this up a bit.my 89 broncos tranny went in it, and everything else followed, i had my brother look it over and were getting a new tranny in a week. and aperently my front end is completly screwed. but he was very veg in what caused what. my motor doesnt idle under 1200, it tries to die everytime, im not sure if thats the tranny or if a gasket let go, or the motors next to be replaced.

it only runs with my foot on it keeping it above 1000rpm, and then it seems like its miss firing and then trys to die. heres the kicker, doesnt always die, gets down BELOW 100RPM (yes, 100, one hundred) and then kicks back up to 1200 and then tries to die again. and obviosly dies instantly when in gear. any ideas.

and, tailgate, unrelated, but also decided to let go on me at the same time, the motors turnin, but nothins happenin, when i try to get it to go down, it clicks sometimes, like a ticking, but up does nothing, either way, the window doesnt move. motor? Gear? Regulator? whats goin on.

my truck is equiped with the ever popular and reliable ford push button 4wd:banghead. relays dont click on when i try to get it to go into low, is that a tranny thing? button thing? or am i just screwed all together? i know i should just swap it to a manual, but out of the question for now.

any help is appreciated, need this back into shape before jan 25th. thanks everyone.

for the motor, id have to say check the basics, timing, and fuel pressure. make sure there are no vacuum leaks as this will cause it to run like crap and not idle properly. it seeems like somethign simple is not set correctly. if its popping(misfiring) then id triple check timing.

for the rear window i have no idea sorry.

for the 4wd, if u push the button and nothing happens, one of two things i would imagine. either the switch is shot or the relay died. check to make sure you have power to the switch. if thats good and still nothing, its the relay.

hope this could be of help!

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,200 Posts
-Just a quick shot at the motor, like Notch302 says, it sounds like it could be a big vacuum leak. That'll give crazy idle problems, & trans problems to boot.

-Rear window sounds like torque pins have busted. Cheap & quick fix. Look at This Thread. Post 3 has Steve83's link to his tailgate tech album, post 4 has adrianspeeder's link to his pics & instructions. Both have good info & pics (Adrian shows how to do a side door window, you don't have to drill for the tailgate). Post 14 has Sixlitre's pic of the pins complete with part number, & lots of other info throughout the thread.

-Do an advanced search for "Electric Transfer Case" & almost any post by Kf4amu. He has a good diagnostic link that he posts for those regularly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think the tranny problem is a vaccume problem because my tranny fluid went from red, to grey in 4 months, and to black with shavings on the stick within the last two weeks. and now it doesnt shift right or anything. but i know i have some vaccume leaks, if i were to find it, would my A/C work correctly as well? the directional slide where i choose floor, vent, def. etc... doesnt really work, and i was told it could be vaccume, i cant get it to go into the vents on the dash, and it leaks out on the floor and def no matter what setting. but i will check out the 4wd switch, but the rear window seems like a bit much to figure out in the driveway with a flash light, but ill bring it up to my brother(master mechanic, bronco fanatic) so he does know what hes talking about. thanks everyone

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, now its getting worse, now its puffing black smoke, and has a skip all the way up to 2000rpm. im really lost here, if the motor goes im out of a bronco and out of transportation period, im dumping $1500 into the thing to fix everything else wrong with it, most of which isnt even listed on here. that 1500 was all the allowance i was given to make the thing road worthy again. does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on? rings, timing, vaccume, emmisons, i have a blown cat and its the one closest to the motor, would that do anything? any ideas and anything i can check, i really dont want to try and replace the motor in this, i simply dont have the cash. HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I got my 89 last February, it idled erratically but mostly high at about 2000 rpm. I had to replace the intake gasket because of coolant leaks in the front. After breaking it all down, I found that the plenum was all caked up with carbon and lets just say "gook". I cleaned that significantly and replaced the gaskets. I also found numerous severed vacuum lines and repaired them. It still idles a little high at 1000 but it is manageable. It is work in progress. I would say the plenum build up and vacuum lines were the biggest culprits. The build up covered breathing holes in the plenum. I found another vacuum leak last weekend and I did this other work last April. Take your time and don't rush it. Wish you luck!:thumbup

·
Registered
587 Posts
As said befor check your timing, if your pushing black smoke your running rich, and it wont idle so thats telling you that there some kind of timing/ignition problem. If the timing is fine, check your plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil. And try pulling codes, it tells you how in the haynes manual and theres a thread on the site here somewhere.

As for your tranny, try changing the filter and fluid, and what tranny do you have? AOD, E4OD, C6?

The Rear window, take the cover off of the tail-gate, have a look, and check out Steve83's tech album.

As for your heater controls, sound like the actuator rods might have come undone somehow or broke, maybe the previous owner was messing around under the dash for some reason and dissconnected them, if they are dissconnected check to see that your 4x4 push buttons are plugged in to, who knows what could have been messed around with.

The T-case, if the switches have power, theres a control box behind the passenger side kick pannel just under the dash, theres a red LED and a white switch IIRC, press the switch. Check the wiring at the t-case end, make sure nothing is broken or rubbed through.

Hope some of this helps

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spent all last weekend on this, new intake manifold gaskets, upper and lower, new exhaust manifold gaskets, and we installed the new tranny. the old one was shot, we found in the black fluid metal shaving infested pan, pieces to the clutches, whole pieces just laying in the bottom. we found a spark plug that almost fell out, it was half a turn in, came loose some how, probably just wasnt tight enough:doh0715: but the manifold melted the plug wire:doh0715: just a bunch of holy s**t repairs. but of course, as it always does, it gets worse, i drained the fluid out of the t-case, and, over tightened the plug, resulting in a nice crack in the case:banghead at this point i was ready to give up, but i got over it, and started on the brakes. compressed one front caliper, and caliper busted a seal, so the truck wasnt leaving. my brother is going to weld up the t-case for me with the aluminum welder he has at his job, and the rest of the truck will be done this weekend. the idle problem was the EGR valve, how much will that run me? anyone? not sure as to if that had to do with the black smoke. the engine is ok otherwise, when we had the manifold off, my brother said it was one of the cleanest 5.0s that hed ever seen and for the millege thats damn good. no sludge build up or nothin, completly clean. anyway, thanks for all ur help, and i need to know how much for a new EGR valve. thanks

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Whoa da bus Pat

put your wallet back in your pants a minute and think this out. Most of the non-transmission problems on your Bronco can be fixed fairly cheaply for just a bit of effort on your part.

Even the cracked transfer case can be addressed and repaired or replaced (you careless clot:twak). I do have problems with your pouring $2500.00 into a 20 model year old Bronco for a rebuilt E4OD though !:shocked

Not when there's near mint Broncos moving for WAY less than $5000.00 safetied and E-tested. Better looking years (any other years than 87-91:goodfinge).

Broncos people have bled their guts out on, tricking out and modifying and treating with TLC. People have dropped thousands in and all they want is....not much more than your trans is going to cost.

Correct me if I'm wrong but yours sounds mostly stock and sounds like transportation for you, right ?

I'd check out Broncos for sale in your area or here on this board too. Gas ain't cheap anywhere in North America right now and Broncos are not "appreciating" in value shall we say:wacko To say the least.

Be careful you don't pour 5 K into that old heap when you could strip her organs for your new (to you) cherry 96' (or mint 86').

Sixlitre

1 - 12 of 12 Posts