Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I have been working with since last August brought up a tail gate for me to look at today, the original deal was for $400. After looking at his gate I was hesitant and told him I was scared to even play with another rust isue for now, he then lowered the price down to 350. I looked the gate over and it has very minimal rust(surface rust) around the bottom lip of the outer skin. It comes with new latches, cables and felt strips. What I figured is that a few hours or more work and maybe having it media blasted and I would have a nice dent free/rust free tail gate on my bronco and to top it off its already been primered so it is allmost ready for some paint minus the cleaning it needs.
How much do you think its worth? He said it came from CA and has been in his shed for the past 3-4 years with the intention to go on his bronco that he no longer is going to keep.
:popc1::popc1:

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I bought a nearly new repop loaded from a guy selling all his 80-96 parts and gave $75. $350 sounds way high I was thinking JBG was selling new tailgates for that. actually they are $300 plus shipping. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-82

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,208 Posts
Around here that price seems high. What does it look like inside? Rust at the bottom usually starts inside & works it's way out. Seals that don't seal & drains that don't drain lead to rust down there.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a nearly new repop loaded from a guy selling all his 80-96 parts and gave $75. $350 sounds way high I was thinking JBG was selling new tailgates for that. actually they are $300 plus shipping. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-82
Thats for just the shell, by the tinme you bought it all you would have 700-800 bucks tied up easy.
Around here that price seems high. What does it look like inside? Rust at the bottom usually starts inside & works it's way out. Seals that don't seal & drains that don't drain lead to rust down there.
I know thats what worries me its minor surface rust that I can see inside and out on the bottom. I told him I couldnt do it because of that, I just hate to see a deal pass up.

I guess if it seems high I will let it go, I thought maybe all the new hardware made up for the price a little but when you think about it the rust is what I am trying to get rid of.
I had looked at these a while back and they are starting to look beter all the time.http://www.autofab.com/bronco2.htm

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The Auto fab are very nice, but you cant put any real weight on them, i jumped off mine one time and it made a cracking noise...i neer found the crack, but when i would hit certains parts of the highway i could hear something rattle....their cool if you dont ever use your tail gate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Auto fab are very nice, but you cant put any real weight on them, i jumped off mine one time and it made a cracking noise...i neer found the crack, but when i would hit certains parts of the highway i could hear something rattle....their cool if you dont ever use your tail gate.
800 is a lot to spend on a tailgate

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I paid $1000 painted and isntalled on my truck. But that a brand new OEM gate.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the rust is under the seams than its done for anyways. Are the seams swelling?
I didn't see any swelling but there was rust inside and out, but nothing major it was all surface rust that could be taken care of. For the price I would rather have one that I didn't have to repair, it has a couple of small dents in the top of it as well as all the rust on the bottom. I told him that I didn't want it and to take it home.

I dont realy use mine for a truck ever so a auto fab gate would be all right for me. Most every thing I would haul would be in my truck or on a trailer anyway. The price is high but to not ever have to deal with rust again would be sweet and who is to say that you couldn't reinforce around the inside to make it stronger. I thought they sold for around 600 bucks?

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
If you have old tailgate with all the internals in it why would you need to spend more than what it would cost for a new shell. I looked while I was at the scrap yard wed. Tailgates are $40.65 no matter what condition or truck they come off of but I did not find anything you could consider a replacement. Just trying to help you out.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would consider putting on a new outer skin, wich I think you can get for fairly cheap but when you have any lower rust problems in the gate your torsion bar can be hazerdous to your glass. Just another reason why if I buy one and spend several hundred on one I would prefer one that is top notch and ready to bolt up. I do apreciate all the help and have searched through all the catalogs for my best options, the funny part is that I had a rust free one few years ago that I traded a friend for a rifle and ended up in a scrap yard with his truck a couple years later. If only I knew then what I knew now!
:doh0715:

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
You know I never put the torsion bar back in mine its not really that much more effort to close it. Hope you find a cheap one like I did :thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts