Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing this here Bronco

CLick for pics

I'm not crazy about the fire engine red interior, but I can deal with it (i.e. seat covers, replace the carpeting, and a few other tweaks) - it is a local trade that was bought originally from this same dealership and they have a full history of the vehicle's maintenance records, apparently very well taken care of. My main beef is that it does not have the external tire rack, and for me, that just completes the "Bronco look". Does anyone know if a tire rack can be mounted to the exterior of a Bronco that did not come with it from the factory originally???? Any input on this will be appreciated :scratchhe...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am looking at purchasing this here Bronco

CLick for pics

I'm not crazy about the fire engine red interior, but I can deal with it (i.e. seat covers, replace the carpeting, and a few other tweaks) - it is a local trade that was bought originally from this same dealership and they have a full history of the vehicle's maintenance records, apparently very well taken care of. My main beef is that it does not have the external tire rack, and for me, that just completes the "Bronco look". Does anyone know if a tire rack can be mounted to the exterior of a Bronco that did not come with it from the factory originally???? Any input on this will be appreciated :scratchhe...
Search for Heft on here. He does custom bumpers with tire carriers. That being said, my Bronco also didn't come with a carrier so I got one from the junkyard.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is along the lines of what I was thinking...but if the body never had one mounted at all then there is going to be some drilling and all, and I am wondering if the passenger side quarter-panel is set up to carry the extra weight of the rack and tire eve if it did not have the rack originally from the factory...I'd have thought that the quarter-panel would have to have extra bracing to handle the load.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thats a nice lookin Bronco but I'm with pappa I'd go with a swing away tire carrier. I'm waitin for Hefty to build one with jerry can mount before I buy one though. And for some reason I remember seein that if it didn't have one from factory it is not a good idea to just drill but i'm not sure on that i could be wrong.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you take off the passenger side brake light you will be able to see if you have the bracket or not. There are nuts welded to a support. For some reason the previous owner had mine filled and painted over. I had to drill them out to get one back on there. After I stop spending money on other parts/ projects on this Bronco, I am gonna invest in a Hefty bumper.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
i'd buy it and put a heft fabrication front, and rear bumpers (rear bumper have him put the tire carrier on it) on it painted to match. you can contact a memeber here named chris hefty for purchase. do a member search for hefty and talk with him

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there a way of getting those reinforcements out and putting them into a different bronco that previously did not have them that isn't a total PITA?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am doing the same thing now. I bought all of the pieces from a boneyard. The support will not be in your bronco. The support in the quarterpanel is welded in at three places. You can cut it out of the truck in the yard, however you will not be able to fit it into you panel unless you cut almost all of it away or cut most of your quarter off the weld it back in. Neither is a great option. I ended up making my own brackets. I just finished them last night. I will take some pics try to post them later today. I used 10ga steel and made flat brackets to mount to the holes of the swing bracket. Then I drilled the holes and bolted together. I then cut upper and lower gussets for both upper and lower swing brackets. I tacked the together, then unbolted and fully welded. It cam out really well. The only support I will be losing over the factory bracket is getting the upper and lower tied together. When I mount this weekend I will try to figure out additional support.

The tailgate support is just bolted in so this brackt you can get from any junkyard.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes you can install the hardware to have a OEM tire rack. It will hold a large tire. I had a 37x12.50 on my OEM however it was a load. I went to Hefty and had a bad ass bumper built with tire rack. it is rock solid and I have no worries, plus the cool factor went off the chart. I also welded up the factory hole where the old oem rack mounted and that looks cool too. Good luck with your project....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Seen several write ups on this here with pics. A bit of searching and you should find them. But the short version is yes but you need the reinforcing brackets that mount inside the quarter panel. Access should be through the tail light assembly. Easiest thing would be to take off the top, the plastic inner bedside and take out the tail light. That should you give you plenty of access to the inner structure.
Top doesn't really have to come off just gives you more room and you don't have to work around it. Also several people mentioned adding reinforcing plates inside the tailgate to prevent cracks forming especially with a bigger tire mounted.

Personally I am getting something similar to Hefty's stuff from a local fabricator and adding a Hummer style bumper mount for my spare.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,067 Posts
Here's my 2 cents:
22- My Bronco doesn't have an exterior tire carrier. Can I add one?

Yes, but...
Broncos that came with a stock external tire carrier have additional supports behind the sheet metal that trucks with internal carriers don't have. If you don't add interior support, the carrier will rip the sheet metal. Some have had trouble with large spares damaging the tailgate even with the stock supports. The strongest solution seems to be a rear bumper with a tire carrier built on it. Several of us have added the stock type spare carrier, with various results. If you add a stock external carrier, you'll need to add support inside both the tailgate & the fender.

I added an external carrier to my 90. It has been ok so far. I carry a 33" BFG m/t on an aluminum rim, so it is not as heavy as some spares. I wheel it, but I'm not crazy with it. No jumping. I can see some flex in the quarter panel when the spare is all the way open. I am always careful when it's opened. It seems solid & tight when it's closed. It is somewhat misaligned in that the rubber block at the bottom hits before the latch. I think it keeps it tighter & may prevent damage. I also kept the interior spare carrier. It's pretty much out of the way with no spare it, gives me something to lash to, & makes it easy to carry 2 spares on the trail (Some guy named Tom told me early on I should always have 2 spares :toothless).

For the tailgate, you probably want to use the stock support for inside the tailgate. It's just way too easy to install the stock brace to even consider making one. It has to tie into the structure inside of the tailgate to distribute the load. It can be unbolted from one truck & bolted into the next. If you add a carrier to a Bronco that never had one, use that support.

Here's a pic of the tailgate support (Pic borrowed from Dustball). The top is at the left. You can see the 3 holes for the latch. The other holes mount to the structure inside of the tailgate.

There is also a support inside the fender, but it can't be removed from a good truck without a lot of work/damage. It's better to get that part from a truck that's being parted out, or to make a new one. If you use the stock fender support, you may have to cut it to fit it into place.

My internal fender supports are made from 3/16 plate, bent to fit. They are each bent twice with 2 flats that contact the fender at the bolt holes, & a center portion that doesn't contact around the curve. The edges are ground round, to try to keep from them punching through. They don't connect to each other or to the existing internal bracing like the stock brace does, but it would be stronger if they did. I may still modify them to do so.

It's easier to make the supports to fit the shape & hole pattern of the carrier hinge brackets. The hinges are the same shape as the fender, & it's much simpler to work with the hinges on the bench than trying to bend the steel to match the truck.

Here is a sideways view of the stock support inside the rear fender from Mickaila's Bronco build.
Here is an overall view, again, ITS UP SIDE DOWN, as you can see the top portion of the panel (where the soft top sits) on the ground presently:
And a shot through the taillight opening of one of my homebuilt braces (It's getting rusty in there, it should have been painted. Even inside of the quarter panel in California :doh0715:). You can see how it isn't formed to the fender at the curve, but takes a straight line across.

Be aware that the design of the latch changed (I think the break is between 89 & 90, but I'm not sure). The older ones have a long release lever & sort of a hook strike, while the newer ones have a short release handle & a latch mechanism similar to the doors. Make sure that the strike you buy matches your carrier. :brownbag

My experience is with a 90. I have heard that the hinge brackets are a different shape to match the rear fenders of 78-79s, 80-86s, & 87-96s, so be sure to use the matching hinge brackets for your fenders. I have also heard that the carriers themselves will swap between 78-79s, 80-86s & 87-96s if you use the correct hinge brackets, but don't know that personally.

They also went from 2 holes mounting the latch to 3 at some point. The 2 & 3 hole parts may work with each other, but you might have to drill a 3rd hole & add a nut behind. My internal tailgate brace had only 2 holes. They matched 2 of the strike holes, & I drilled the 3rd.

Here's an earlier strike (89 & before?):

Somewhere there's a pic of the later strike (90 & later?) When I find it I'll add it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts