Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I recently purchased a 92 bronco and taking the top off, as my people know, is a pain in the butt. Do you know anyway to make it permanently easier from here on out, to instal and take off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man that's the million dollar question. I'm saving up for a soft top.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I would do that, but I am really looking to have the top off this summer for my upcoming road trip. I just don’t want it to be a pain.

·
Super Moderator
24,987 Posts
Yo Ron and Seth,
See some tips in Removal w/Tool List, & Security Torx® bolt replacement w/Metric sized bolts (5 8x70mm 1.5 Pitch Metric Bolts & 12 8x45mm 1.5 Pitch Metric Bolts) 92 - 96
Source: by Froggmann

One tip is "get some edge molding for the rather sharp edge the top of the cab has. This stuff is avalible at most Industrial hardware stores."

"If you also want to change out the bolts here is what you will have to look for:
5 8x70mm 1.5 Pitch Metric Bolts
12 8x45mm 1.5 Pitch Metric Bolts"

Lots faster thsn using the torx bit!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have you taken your top off yet?
I'd say some good 'ol Yankee Ingenuity would work!
I think the biggest issues are:
1) The legality (rear seatbelts) in your state
2) #1 ususlly necessitates a roll bar for seatbelt mounting
3) How to lift it off without dropping a nut (I know there is a vid of a guy out there that puts in on his back and walks it off,
One slip and you have a damaged cap, no thanks). Better method is a clever hoist system.
4) To keep off for the summer (a soft top) or put it back on?
5) How to cleanly butch the interior along the rear windows where all those torx bolts hold it down

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
Man this topic sounds familiar!...

Use fewer bolts
Swap to hex bolts
Swap to the earlier SAE hex bolts
Use a hoist, that keeps it stored as well.
Get shorter bolts.

Seatbelts wont be proper for the rear seat.

You wont have the Federally Mandated Center High Mount Third Brake Light (CHMTBL). But that can be remedied easy. Most have never had a law issue when not having the CHMTBL, however.

As for others talking about covering the rails and such, use a set of pickup bed rail covers and chop em up.

I have removed my 94 topper by myself many times. But that's when I was in high school, and much stronger. I'd unbolt it, fold the rear seat down, and lay on my back. Id use my legs to push up in the top and slide it back. Get it as far back as you can, then walk it onto a pair of saw horses.

Reactions: ddandavis

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,879 Posts
I never have mine off for more than a day. And while driving the Bronco I'm not driving my pickup. So with both tailgates open I back them together. Then, bent over, with the topper on my back, I walk from the Bronco into the pickup, rotate 1/4 turn & set the top down on the bedrails. Reverse to re-install. No acrobatics required.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
68 Posts
I have this same issue with the Bronco top & the cap on my truck.

I unbolt everything & have two 2x4's cut to a length 6" wider than the vehicle width.

I lift the top & slide the 2x4's under, so I dont scratch the paint.

Then I have 4 hooks bolted into the rafters of my garage ceiling with ratchet straps hanging from them.

I loop the ratchet strap around the 2x4 & give it a few cranks to lift it off & I drive out of the garage.

I usually screw a 3" wood screw & washer into the 2x4 thru the holes that hold the top on to the truck just to be safe. It just hangs there and I park the truck in that spot.

The only pain is when the top is off the bronco & I have to take the cap off my truck too, then I have to put the bronco top on, then take the truck cap off and hang it from the rafters.

Here is the cap, set on the 2x4's at the front & just 2 small pieces at the rear for reference, so I can ease it down, controlled and not scratch the paint. I put the full length 2x4 at the back of the cap in afterwards, so I'm not climbing over it when going in & out of the bed.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts