Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new here. I've had my Bronco for about 3 years. I knew the transmission was going, so I figured I'd wait till it went out, then get a new one. My transmission just went out and now I'm not sure what to do. My truck is 1990, 4x4, 5.0 V8, but I don't know if it has got the E40D or the AOD tranny (I think the E40D...how can I tell?). Now, since I am in the market for a new tranny, I want to know what y'all think:

1. Should I buy or rebuild?
2. Should I keep what I have or upgrade (used for daily driving & off road)?
2a - What should I upgrade to?

·
Banned
38,640 Posts
If you're still guessing, then you still can't proceed intelligently. Read ALL the info in that caption (including following the relevant links) and inspect your truck until you're sure what trans it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm new here. I've had my Bronco for about 3 years. I knew the transmission was going, so I figured I'd wait till it went out, then get a new one. My transmission just went out and now I'm not sure what to do. My truck is 1990, 4x4, 5.0 V8, but I don't know if it has got the E40D or the AOD tranny (I think the E40D...how can I tell?). Now, since I am in the market for a new tranny, I want to know what y'all think:

1. Should I buy or rebuild?
2. Should I keep what I have or upgrade (used for daily driving & off road)?
2a - What should I upgrade to?
i would definitely try to rebuild it!!! i rebuilt my c6 and it was simpleish

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
Im not sure the trannys that came in either yr but a 351 and 302 are same block so it will bolt in no problem but another thought is electrical differences in the 2 motors.... I probably wasn't much help

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I have a 1989 Bronco EB w/ 351 and E4OD. I just had it rebuilt by a local shop and also had transfer case replaced since it was going out as well. Now, transmission will shift into all gears except when I drive over 15 miles on highway and then it starts kicking down out of OD into 3rd. I have had it back to guy who rebuilt it who says it just needs minor "adjustments" but the problem has never gone away completely. Also, there is a new, intermittent noise under driver floorboard that sounds like when you stick a baseball card in your bicycle spokes. I keep taking it back but problem is none of these issues happen when he drives it, or so he says. Do these problems sound familiar to anyone else? I have read previous threads but am no closer to solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read all the posts in this thread and didn't see this info.

Looked at an 85' Bronco for parts this afternoon, was tired & in a hurry and forgot to take pic of door tag! Duh! It's 4wd has a 300, 4 spd with the same shift pattern as my 92' F150 T18, ie... first gear is higher than third gear.

So guessing it's either a T18 or NP435 and from a quick glance looks like a NP205.

If it is an NP205, will it be married? What years would have the married

Cheers, Allen

·
Registered
1 Posts
C6 questions.

Forgive me if this is a "rookie" question but some listings im seeing on craigslist say 2wd C6 or 4wd C6. Doesnt the transfer case determine if its 4wd or not?

And if i pick up any c6 with the same bolt pattern in reference what you have listed on first page would it work for my 88 bronco? or are there other factors to look at?

Any info will be a great help. Long live the Bronco!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Forgive me if this is a "rookie" question but some listings im seeing on craigslist say 2wd C6 or 4wd C6. Doesnt the transfer case determine if its 4wd or not?

And if i pick up any c6 with the same bolt pattern in reference what you have listed on first page would it work for my 88 bronco? or are there other factors to look at?

Any info will be a great help. Long live the Bronco!
Wrong forum for questions, but the transmission has a different tailshaft housing, etc., between a two wheel drive and a four wheel drive.

tim

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just looking over this thread with a quick glance and noticed on the first page there is a section that was reserved for transfer case. Did I miss something? I did not see any thing about the transfer case on the first page. Steve83 thank you for posting the info with regards to vin numbers and how to read all the codes to determine how the vehicle was built.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,999 Posts
There should be a tag on your transfer case that identifies it, but yours should be a borg warner 13-56.

Btw the evil steve83 has been banned from this site so dont expect a response from him lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
LOL ok I will not hold my breath on a response from Steve83 thanks for the heads up BigBlue :)

·
Super Moderator
24,694 Posts
Yo N2,
As BigBlue 94 advised;
Borg Warner 1356 Identification; The model number is cast into the rear housing, and sometimes stamped into an ID tag on a tailhousing bolt.
1356 Identification Tag pic;

Source: by Wolfchant
1356 Tag for Electronic Shift On-the-Fly;

Source: by Steve

More driveline identification in my post #5 @ http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/18-introductions/420657-new-owner-93-eb-bronco-newbie-questions.html

Also see my Sensor, Component Location pics @ http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/432994-need-little-help-under-hood.html
GL!

261 - 280 of 288 Posts